How do you store your templates?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by eallen, Jul 14, 2020.

1. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about you but, my routing template storage has a lot to be desired. I have some stacked on top of each other, some on edge like on a book shelf, some I think may be arranging themselves at night while they cause random dents in bodies and put tools where they don't belong![emoji848]

So give it to me straight! How do you organized folks store your templates? I expect you to chime in George/@old wrench. [emoji16]

Eric

old wrench likes this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I lay mine flat on a shelf for MDF, and on their edge for thick acrylic.

eallen likes this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

which ones. the working templates, those I use every day.. I store then on whatever flat surface that's available that's out of the way for the moment... the masters.. those I use to make the working templates.. I store them on a peg in the back room where they are out of the "fire fight"..

eallen likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

All of my templates, body molds and bending forms are marked as to which guitar they are for ("12 fret 00". "Gibson neck pocket"...) and stored in the attic of my garage/workshop. The bending forms and body molds are paired up - if I need one I need the other. Other building stuff like radius dishes and my go bar deck also get stored in the attic - I'll get down what I need when I need it.

I've got a little 3:1 pulley system rigged up in the attic so I can lower or raise the molds (and small power tools like the router or bending machine) by myself - it does involve running up a down a ladder so I usually ask my wife to help.

Small templates (pickups, dovetail, head stocks) I keep in a box under my work bench.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Templates....who still uses those things anymore.... :). The ones I still have lie flat on each other. They are wood or plywood. I dust them off now and then to remember the good old days.... Just kidding. I use them once in a while.

6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I feel your pain, I was looking for a template the other day and found it in a weird place. I think they grow legs at night and walk around partying, and sometimes they drink too much and don't make it home.

tnt423, WalthamMoosical and eallen like this.
  7. eallen

Good question Ron. Yes, the regularly used working templates.

Eric

8. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I store them poorly. My shop walls are concrete covered with plastic-backed insulation, so I can't hang anything unless I frame it out.

So they live in a big rubbermaid tub.

crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

The large body templates--I drill a 1" hole in one end and use that to hang it on a peg on the wall. Make your pegs from 3/4" dowel and you can hang several templates on it.

I used to store them flat, but they were getting banged around. And stored on edge is just asking for trouble :twisted:

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I made my first set of templates last weekend, but not for a guitar. One of my kiddos has a loaner wheelchair while his chair is in the shop (he's had it for seven years and put almost 2000 miles on it), and the footrest adjustments wouldn't go short enough for his prepubescent legs. I built some mdf templates to rout out pieces that became a riser that sits on the existing footrest that his legs will reach, and when I got done I drilled a hole and hung them on a peg in the garage.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

the working templated don't get "stored". the word "Stored" suggests a time interval when they're not used... I'f afraid that's a condition I'm completely unfamiliar with :p thus, the templates are usually lying within arm's reach where I'm working.

those that are used infrequently are hanging on a peg around the upper reaches of the shop..

r

eallen likes this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Ha! Sounds as if the majority of us are in the same boat:rolleyes:
    Mine are just stacked on a shelf in the shop~

eallen likes this.
  13. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I store them in large plastic tubs, by type (i.e., Tele, Gibby, Mini-Strat-Tele, and necks). I try to keep what goes together in the same tubs, that way I have what I need for that one guitar. But I am not very experienced, having only completed ONE guitar, and miss on two mini-tele-strats, and halway thru the TeleBaum.

14. Ronkirn

here ya go.. some used occasionally.. and those used with some degree of regularity,,

DSCN0629.jpeg DSCN0630.jpeg

r

eallen likes this.
  15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I installed some high shelves that they live on. I don't have a bunch of wall space and I rarely build the same thing twice, but I don't want to get rid of the templates, just in case! I'll be watching this discussion.

eallen likes this.
  16. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

In a box.

Seriously. I haven't unpacked my shop stuff from the move from New Mexico to Tennessee. Once I'm unpacked, I will store them as I always have: kinda haphazardly all over the shop space.

17. eallen

Glad to see Everyone else for the most part has my same wherever they land system. Perhaps my real challenge is my OCD can't stand the lack organization of everything Landing where there is space.

I like the up high pegs idea! With shelves at 8' all around my shop and 9.5' ceilings, getting to them up high for regular use would be a pain. Makes me think of a rack with large dowles that could be lowered down. The quest for new template order continues! [emoji851]

Eric

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

My shop is in our basement. For most of the southerners you can ignore this. I hang all of mine on screws that are in the exposed floor joists from the main floor. They look like template bats hanging all over.

eallen and tnt423 like this.
  19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Some hanging up, some on shelves, some in a drawer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1bad914 and eallen like this.
  20. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I do the same as Ron does. I mark them with the type and date, drill a big hole and hang them up. All are mdf.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.