How do you sleep ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Oct 21, 2021.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer semi-fetal on my right side because of arthritis is my left shoulder. If both shoulders are bothering me, I go down on my stomach. The other sleeping position that works is in a recliner tilted back with my knees elevated. I did a lot of that in business class before I retired. Lie flat seats were impossibly confining to my feet. The best sleeping seats ever were in the old American Airlines B767’s. Business class was actually more comfortable than first unless the guy next to you was drunk or snoring.

johnny k and Chicago Matt like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I fall asleep on my left side and sometime during the night I auto-rotate to the right side. I sleep like a log, so I have no idea when this happens. I can sleep anywhere though. Snow caves, igloos, portaledges … anywhere. My wife doesn’t, but she can read in bed with the light on and I don’t even know it.

I play my latest cover song that I am learning just before going to bed, so I have an ear worm all night long. Great way to learn every verse of the lyrics and how the guitar timing goes with the words. Sometimes I’ll play my latest original as the ear worm, so as to come up with lyrics during the night.

johnny k and Greggorios like this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

johnny k likes this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Gratefully, pretty well, on my side. There's much recent research on sleep, it's importance and different ways to address problems with sleeping. It's too important to ignore. Check with a doc if you're having issues.

I find it critical to try and keep to a regular schedule and do a "wind down" the hour before going to bed. Quiet music and reading work for me. I avoid watching crappy TV or news before I try to knock off.

johnny k likes this.
  5. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Holic

My ex called it the running man. On my left side, left arm out and right arm slung behind me. Legs akimbo

Greggorios and johnny k like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

i say there tguy, I don't believe I'da told all that if I was you!

1guy and johnny k like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

At the end of those 3 hours is it a trip to the Lou from the cantaloupe prostrate? Then back for another 3?

Greggorios, johnny k and Chicago Matt like this.
  8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Afflicted

My father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and was very skinny his whole life, and I seemed to inherit the 'snoring gene' from him - I have snored badly as long as I can remember. I am currently fit (cycle ~100km per week, weights etc) but a bit overweight (I'm ~5'10" and currently ~200lbs), but even when I was 165lbs 20 years ago I still had the issue, albeit undiagnosed at that point. I only found out as part of investigations into another health issue and had to stay in hospital.

While I think being overweight is a definite factor, in some cases there are other causes - genetics, formation of the palette/throat etc. There is also 'central' and not obstructive sleep apnea, which has a more neurological cause.

johnny k, DekeDog and Fretting out like this.
  9. Fretting out

Doesn’t sound any worse than me or my “rituals”

I need a fan going and a “sleep movie” to be playing

I also have to have my 10 year old pillow that is flat as a pancake

Don’t worry though the pillow gets washed once every year or so which I hate, takes forever to get my scent back into it!

Edit: well the pillow case gets washed...... I like to make a comfortable environment for my eyelash mites too ya know! Hence leaving the pillow itself nice and pheramony

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  10. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

On right side. Doctor told me years ago that it takes pressure off heart.

Now if I could just stop visiting the can 4 times a night ... no, it's not prostate ... just old guy syndrome. <sigh>

johnny k and Fretting out like this.
  11. Fretting out

I didn’t think about the palette being a problem although that’s mostly the reason for snoring

I just know that when extremely obese people have apnea them doing the “snore” is when their heart and breathing is about to stop

I didn’t really think about other conditions/mechanisms

johnny k likes this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

I used to sleep in the fetal position, no way I could sleep on my back or my stomach.

My back has deteriorated to the point I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for at least six years.

I live in my recliner with a pillow added under my legs to get reasonably comfortable. My wife even bought us an adjustable bed so I could sleep in it. Didn't work can't get comfortable and the dog doesn't like me taking his side of the bed.

johnny k likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

You guys are making sleeping sound awfully complicated. For me to go to sleep, I need a place to lay down. (or sit) (okay, I can sleep standing up like a horse)

14. Fretting out

Must be an age thing TD ;)

My father can sleep anywhere at anytime

johnny k and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

When you drive a big rig, you lean to sleep just about anywhere. I have slept leaning over the steering wheel many times. I can do me some serious sleeping in a bed. When I hunted with hounds, I've slept on the ground (in a GOOD sleeping bag) and woke up covered in snow. My wife gets annoyed with me, because she has trouble sleeping. When I go to bed I go to sleep, she knows if she wants to confab, she's better get to it or I'll be out like a light.

16. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

It's become a problem- I have problems with both shoulders that let out sleeping on my side, and can't sleep on my stomach, so not much left.

johnny k likes this.
  17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Left side. I breathe better that way. This is in the bed.

In my recliner chair, on my back, not totally leaned back all the way. Just part way.

Sometimes I think I sleep better in my recliner than I do in bed.

johnny k likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes

johnny k likes this.
  19. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Holic

I usually go to sleep on my left side but will turn over onto my right and back again several times each night. As I have gotten older I find it harder to get a good nights unbroken sleep, that probably explains the many naps I have during the day.

johnny k likes this.
  20. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

You got it. :cool:

Greggorios, johnny k and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.