1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you ship guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by xtelesquirex, Oct 22, 2020.

1. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

What do you do inside the hard case?
    Do you wrap the headstock in bubble wrap?
    Will bubble wrap hurt a nitro guitar?

Thanks.

2. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

xtelesquirex likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I loosen the string a few turns.
    Headstock breaks are often from "momentum" ; Someone drops the box flat and the headstock weight breaks it off. So yes, I put some bubble wrap under the head stock and maybe over to support it.
    In hot weather bubble wrap can damage guitar finish creating the bubble image on it. (dont ask how I know!)

xtelesquirex likes this.
  4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I always split the neck and body especially on Gibsons .o_O

xtelesquirex likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I detune the guitar, pull the end pin on acoustics. Wrap the head and neck in foam. Pack the case in a standard guitar cardboard shipping box, insure for the value.

Stop and think that every music store in the world gets its inventory shipped in a cardboard box packed without a whole lot of care and most of them make it just fine.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Slacken the strings.

Get a box for a hard shell case from Guitar Center or some similar place...they’ll usually give you one.

If there’s no case or gig bag, wrap the guitar in bubble wrap, and slip it in the box. Then cram paper or bubble wrap in all the gaps.

If there is a gig bag, put it in the gig bag, slip it in the box. Then cram paper or bubble wrap in all the gaps.

If there is a case, cram paper or bubble wrap in all the gaps in the case, especially around the headstock, and then put it in the case box.

I’ve sold/shipped between a half-dozen and a dozen instruments (several different makes, models and construction) this way, and never had a problem.

NOTE:
    I’ve never shipped a Gibson, so those particular headstock/neck joint problems have not been an issue.

xtelesquirex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.