How do you relax?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 12, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

man. i'd be glad to share that with you any old time. my. oh, my.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I’ll happily share that with you when you visit New Zealand! Even give ya a bed for the night. ;)

Ya just snuck in ahead of me. Was planning my post above while reading through the thread. :p

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

My stress relievers are kind of reverse of everyone else’s. Since transplant I’m quite restricted as to what I can do. I keep our our laundry done, do the dishes as I cook for my chef wife and I. I’m good standing for an hour or so at a time. When chores are done I’ve got a minor gig fabbing jewelry fixtures for a friends biz. Do a little lathe and mill work. Usually by mid afternoon it time for a snack, tacos, fruit salad, chip and salsa. Been doing a bit of reading as well. History, adventure, westerns, sf, scripture. Plenty on the toob , interwebs, I do avoid FB but for my kiddos.
    Best of all is George Carline.
    Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play the guitar for at least an hour a day when I get home from work, I can spend an entire day off out in the garage making wood shavings (I find traditional woodworking to be extremely relaxing), and if it's been a particularly rough week I'll load up the range bag and spend a few hours punching holes in targets.

bromdenlong and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I was considering a job in Moree in 1990. I traveled the country, non stop for two weeks. My potential competitors were absolutely brutal to my wife and myself at several industry gatherings. It made a little difference in our decision to not move there.

Often wonder what life would have been like, though. Oh, well.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To be honest with you....I never do relax anymore. A few years ago it was going for a long run at night, but my knees don't handle that anymore. Guitar playing would be the closest that I get to being relaxed, but that comes with enough frustration that it doesn't always work.

What I can tell you that doesn't work is repairing an old dryer unit. My motor had a shaft bearing start squeeling so I just wasted the last 5 hours trying to seperate the motor from the blower wheel. In the end, the wheel had to be cut out so I will be without a dryer for a few more days until that part arrives. It REALLY didn't provide any relaxation....still feel like punching holes in the drywall.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Walks, naps, reading & drives (although too much traffic/aggressive driving is changing this) I also have a bunch of traditional hobbies that can be either relaxing or annoying, and that can change like English weather, knowing when to put something aside /take a break is vital. Yoga and meditation can be useful. I try to avoid playing music while stressed, there is a 'black dog" from my years of classical study that I try to keep at bay, and I need to be in a good place for that to happen.

As I have gotten older I have tried to be more mindful and slow my reaction to negative stimulus, little annoyances tend to go away rather quickly if you allow them to.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Motorcycle helmet. Once that's on, the world is off. I enjoy the focus riding requires and if I don't ride enough I get grumpy. If I go to long without riding, my wife actually suggests that I go.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yoga for me.
    Walk in uptight, do a class w some attractive wimmen, walk out mellow.
    The mellow Doesn’t last long unfortunately
    S

10. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

wwerlkjfads-4_zpsjccdavm0.jpg

Greggorios and Guitarteach like this.
  11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Yes, New Zealand :lol:

Pax/
    Dean
    (okay okay, I’m not from Oz…)

TheGoodTexan and richiek65 like this.
  12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Internet_20190804_065323_54.jpeg.jpg
    I haven't relaxed in over 20 years so let's home I can find peace on my new deck:D

13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Sigh I'm too tire to fix it - goodnight:(

Milspec likes this.
  14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I let you know on the 14th when we are sitting on a beach in Maui

Shuster, TheGoodTexan and bromdenlong like this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi again.

To be serious for a moment, I run away.

I have a job that is a giant pile of stress, but that also doesn’t require me to be there for two longish hunks of the year. So, I flee to other places. I’m in New Zealand right now. I would never ever ever do the job if it wasn’t for the ‘un-required presence’ gaps.

In Japan I like to ride my motorcycle around in the mountains in summer when I get the chance. Too flippin’ hot on the plains.

As some have also mentioned, I tend to avoid guitar when I’m stressed. Oddly though, if I’m super duper stressed or angry I seek it out.

Oh, one thing I do is tidy up / clean. If I can get my surroundings super neat and all ‘wabi-sabi,’ I tend to calm down.

Pax/
    Dean

16. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

To relax? Go outside weather permitting at all and drink my coffee in the morning. Go outside with my dog to let her run. Go outside to be in the woods just being there, or exploring new woods or hunting or on waters fishing. I like to be outside and don’t do well in environments that inhibit that = well below sub zero stuff. I also feel relaxed after interacting with friends and family, even small interactions can lift my spirits. I do recognize that family can also be stressful.

A cup of hot tea in the afternoon is relaxing to me, and guitar playing is always relaxing. I love to read and that’s probably my most consistent relaxation thing year around even if it’s only thirty minutes a day.

Shuster and Obsessed like this.
  17. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I usually just keep going until I'm exhausted and then pass out.

An extension of childhood; I'd play until I fell asleep on my toys.

Shuster likes this.
  18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure it left a very bad taste in your mouth re Australia..

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Welcome to my world. There is nothing better than a liming spot on the beach. Come on down and I guarantee you’ll be relaxed in 24 hours or less.

TheGoodTexan and bromdenlong like this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My JMP cranked... first stop to burn off stress

Cooking, dog walking, Canadian canoeing, climbing, mountain walking, video games, tinkering with electronics, modding my guitars and amps, making a tube amp, fixing and driving a vintage car, wandering the streets and museums of Paris or London, fishing.

I need to retire to find more time for it all as I want to get back into sailing.

Right now, deep video games are a nice way to relax late at night when I can’t get outdoors or make too much noise.

Cooking is just a great thing too.. making a nice roast beef dinner or big Indian meal will fill half a Sunday.

I can’t just sit down and do nothing. After 5 mins on a beach towel I’ll be up beachcombing or looking for caves or stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.