How do YOU promote your recorded music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Jul 2, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve started a recording project with a close friend, almost completely remote, works great that way, but we meet once a month just to finalize everything. Going well so far, overall happy with our results sound wise and songwriting wise, and have a goal to keep releasing singles once a month.

I’ve always been really bad at self promotion. I was never the guy hustling to get people to see my band for shows. I’ve seen far too many bands where even after going through all the hassle, they’re still not really making any headway.

My goal isn’t to make money, though of course that’d be nice. I know enough of how things work now that more than ever expecting to make decent money off recorded music is a pipe dream, whether it’s great or not.

We basically just released the first single through BandCamp and promoted it to our friends on Facebook. He has about 10x as many friends as I do, but even with that in mind the response was pretty lukewarm. No sales (which is fine), and not as many likes/listens as I’d have liked.

Im considering ponying up for DistroKid, but my understanding is they just get your music into the major streaming services, not that they do any promotion.

TLDR: How do your promote your recorded music? How has the response been?

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I mention it here or on Facebook. One thing I see going on currently is many musicians who had been playing live are stuck without an outlet so when possible they are doing things online. And some of my old faves like Hot Tuna and Richard Thompson are also. I'm just inundated with things that even though I don't have to go anywhere, I don't have the time or energy to check out.

If I can get one like of a tune or song I've done I consider it pretty special. I put a bunch of stuff up at SoundCloud and I guess some people have one of two of my tunes in a playlist or something as I get about 2 plays a week on average.

I mean, I think my stuff is listenable, except for the stuff that isn't.

scrapyardblue, catdaddy and naveed211 like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Bad time for exposure.
    IF I were recording right now, I'd shoot tracks to local stations with info on how to get that one track free. But, I have an independently owned Alt rock station(which plays a local cut once each hour) and a hard rock station that to a lesser extent plays local stuff. Not a thing everywhere. 2 local acts that I'd heard this way actually are gathering steam elsewhere, Caamp! and Snarls, or they were before plague season....

If you want other people to check it out, I'd post it wherever possible.

But like I said, bad time, lots of saturation for content of all kinds currently competing for attention.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Basically whatever you do the attention span of people these days is lower than my three year old nephew's so tough call

Unless you spend A LOT of money on YOUTUBE promoting it...and by a lot I mean A LOT.

naveed211 likes this.
  5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Really badly.

I don't do social media.

So I just email and whatsapp friends, and mention it on here.

Having said that, since I've started putting stuff on bandcamp 3 years ago I've had over 2000 plays there and even a couple of dozen sales - and most important, some nice feedback.

I don't put my music anywhere else. So the chances of it finding an audience (assuming it's even good enough) are pretty minimal.

6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yup, and my days are over with tossing a bunch of money at a band that I can’t guarantee having a decent return on investment. At the end of the day, it’s still a hobby. Relying on an original band to be a source of income can be a fools errand especially nowadays.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

CD Baby, BandCamp etc seem useless. I think you can sell more on line on your own.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

That’s an interesting option, hadn’t considered that. There are some local stations that play local musicians. Might be worth a shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.