How do you practice at Home?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Jan 14, 2020.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I've been having to learn a lot of songs for another cover band I've joined. The past month I'm using a strat, not plugging onto anything. I listen to the recording/Youtube with light headphones with just one ear covered so I can hear the guitar...and I'm playing. I'm learning the leads that way too.

I'm doing it this way recently just because of the simple, quick setup, and I'm mostly sitting at the kitchen table at night ...working. For this work I need to know how to play these tunes and any extra volume, effects, distortion isn't needed.

This process is actually forcing me to play the songs better because I'm playing clean...super clean...raw clean. I'm finding that when I plug in with the the band at rehearsal it's all good.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I used to plug a pre-CBS Strat or Tele into an original triangle knob Big Muff into a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb. The DR is in storage so I use a Mustang III set to a DR.

Then I turn YouTube on the TV and play along to recordings.

If it’s acoustic I take one of my old guitars and practice whatever song I’m learning. Mostly blues and slide lately.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have an Amazon Echo Dot hooked up to my practice PA. All I have to do is ask for a song that we're working on (cover band) and it plays. I can ask Alexa to go back 20 seconds or 30 seconds and it just happens. It speeds the learning process. We chart out all of our songs and store them on a Google docs page. Ipad, Echo Dot, nice little PA, Telecaster and a Princeton Reverb. I either use a Tubescreamer or a small pedal board when I'm learning stuff at home.

The nerd command corner. I spend a lot of time sitting in this corner.

[​IMG]

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I try to explore new licks of different styles, play along with backing tracks. Also like to experiment with the effects on my amp.

5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I usually do my playing late at night after everybody has gone to sleep. The Helix is great for this, as I can plug the USB into my laptop and then I have computer audio and my guitar tones, all in the headphones. I also use a Scuffham S-Gear software program for this, with the guitar plugged into an audio interface, which is a much cheaper yet equally good setup.

I use transcription software when I need to learn tunes. Anytune is great, not just for the looping, pitch shift and slowing down, but for the "Reframe" feature which is essentially an EQ function that makes it possible to find and bring hidden guitar parts out.

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Right now I’m practicing bass for an originals band for my first time as a bass player. Other than jamming...

I warm up, then play along with the tunes 3 times each.
    1st time with my homemade chart
    2d time playing and listening for things I might not have heard yet
    3d time seeing if there’s anything I’d like to add or subtract.

There’s 20+ songs, so I don’t get through all of them every time. Some are a lot easier than others.

Periodically I’ll just play the song as best I can from memory with no backing track. I try to not even look at the chart.
    Then I see what I forget.
    No gigs currently scheduled.

That’s pretty much what I did for guitar parts too, although I wasn’t learning as much new material. I’m also much more a guitar player, and am better at hearing guitar parts, with a much deeper vocabulary of riffs licks and voicings.

General practice would be using my preferred tones. A little bit of grit and volume.

Or I’ll just play acoustic and knock some scale work or songs.

7. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had to! :D

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

That is what i try as well. Never to be caught on a stage with my pants down, so to say

9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Acoustic mostly to learn new material or bone up on old material, as I pay mostly solo acoustic these daze.

But, I also keep up on an unplugged electric for bends/leads and the feel of slinkier strings.

I really should use an amp at performing volume, but it's too loud here in the house. Besides, I'm pretty well acquainted with amps and using them at gig's.

It all works well for me.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I pick up the guitar and play it. Sometimes I might try to figure out songs, sometimes its's a shoegazing fuzz fest of feedback. Other times I might play an acoustic guitar to strictly work on my technique. If I have the time, I will do about 20-30 minutes of finger exercises with scales and chords everyday. I also just mess about while watching TV. It doesn't get easier as you get older. I have no arthritis as of yet and my memory seems okay.

11. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback TDPRI Member

I first get a fresh dip of Grizzly straight long cut. I like to work a fresh dip when I play. I put on my LL Bean slippers grab a straight back chair and prop my feet up on my amp. Lay my guitar in my lap and try to do my best Beck or Buchanan.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FenderGyrl and Flaneur like this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I play acoustic mostly, so I rarely plug in. I started on the acoustic, so there is a good chance that I will end that way.

I don’t have a proper studio or man cave, so I generally play in the kitchen or on the back porch.

My practice sessions, if you want to call them that, are mainly rehearsing/refining, covers of songs. This involves singing and strumming chords with an occasional riff or run in between. This procedure happens mostly on the weekends.

During the week, I break out the “exercise” books, and I focus on playing scales and modes up and down the neck. I also have a three-ringed binder of many Guitar Player Magazine lessons that I have copied over the years. I will give that a good workout once a month.

I noodle sometimes too. Who doesn’t?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.