How do you practice at Home?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Jan 14, 2020.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

turned a room into turn switch studio. Everything available quick. Have a guitar box turned into set up station in the LR. Almost always have a guitar worked on at night..then play while watching tv. Always try to figure out the music on the TV & play along to it

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There was another thread about this a few months back. Pthought put up a very useful post and I took a few things from it that really improved my playing. I go through my song book (lyrics and chords) and find something I haven’t played in a while. I play through it to find rough spots and things I’d forgotten and work on those parts until I’m satisfied. I then play through the song to make sure I’ve got it down to the transitions. I then work on the intro, outro, and solo. Can I improve on what I’m playing? It takes about a week with a song until I’m playing it to my satisfaction. Changes may be subtle or pronounced but after a week they’ve become the new way I play the song. During this time I also work on lyrics. I invariably find a couple of places where I need to relearn them the right way. I now find noodling and playing songs that just sound OK to me one after another a waste of time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Sounds Good and eddiewagner like this.
  3. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Practicing is the best form of procrastination.

4. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Nekkid.

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I do three things:

1: Keep a Tele near the couch. If I'm watching TV, I often practice scales and exercises, unplugged.

2: In front of the computer, plugged into Garage Band. There's so much instructional and backing track content.

3: Through an amp, play-along with recordings.

6. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I plug my strat into my pedalboard into my 59 Bassman at Volume 4. Then, I choose some youtube backing tracks, funk, dead, country/working man style tracks, blues, etc.. and play it through my monitor speakers at a descent volume to match my amp. I practice riffing around in my dorian, phrygian, aeolian, myxolydian modes, and the major and minor pentatonics. Depending on the amount of time I have I will try cycling through other guitars, but for ease I just grab the strat I have hanging on the wall.

Sounds Good and JL_LI like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If by myself, usually sitting in front of my PC and plugged into my Toneport UX1 into Gearbox. Ideal tone instantly, and super convenient for practicing along with MP3s playing on the PC

unixfish likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If tone is in your underpants, then how do you sound good? :lol:

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I need to research this a bit. I would love to plug into my laptop to practice to backing track, music, etc. I have my guitar and amp on one side of my office, my laptop on the other. My lessons are on-line, so it would be great to be amplified for them.

I have not found (or looked much to be honest) a good amplifier software for Linux (Mint Cinnamon). I know they are out there, but I still need an interface. That Line 6 unit looks ideal.

blowtorch likes this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm retired, I don't anymore.

But when I did, it was always using an amplifier...insofar as I wanted an audible representation of what I was going to achieve at stage volume.

And as I didn't use pedals on stage, it was very easy to forgo using them when I'd practice.

And ... I'd generally employ a practice regimen two hours daily; warmup and scales sort of thing. Sight reading and stuff.

But when I was preparing for something specific, I'd kick that up to four hours, with at least two spent on the material I'd be performing. Again, clean.

However, for vocals, especially if harmony was involved, I'd put some delay into my "feed" because I wanted to hear what I was doing with my voice clearly, with my ears, not inside my head.

11. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I have a block between 10-12 everyday where i noodle, following song ideas or just sing something. I am extremely ineffective in my style. But that's how I do it.
    I live in an appartment so I restrict myself to those hours so my neighbours can adapt.

Sounds Good likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's perfect, for my applications, in both practicing and recording. Really very inexpensive, also

13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Whenever I can.
    I enjoy a long 2-3 session with my guitar but if I can grab 30 mins before work I do.

I'm playing out a lot again so I'm working on songs for the band. Being ready for live shows and new material for rehearsals keeps me out of trouble and me on more of a schedule.

I still enjoy playing along with m favorite Lonnie Mack, Ventures, Freddie King records too to keep my fingers in shape.

I'm sort of beyond progressing technically at this age. The goal is to just keep myself in shape on guitar and at gig worthy level at all times.

eddiewagner and Sounds Good like this.
  14. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

With two kids (2yrs and 4yrs) screaming that it's too loud, I'm playing an unplugged electric guitar.

I've actually been moving more towards theory since I can write out scales and chord notes without much complaint.

15. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I never learned how to practice. I also never learned how to learn songs. I was taught to read music, and got really good at it when I was 12. I could sight read most anything, but I couldn't improvise or pick up a song from a record. I remember asking an older guy in a band if he had the sheet music for Wooly Bully -- that's how bad it was. Then I quit playing for pretty much 50 years.

Getting back into it in my 60s, I find that I avoid learning songs. First, because it's hard for me, and second, because somebody already wrote and recorded that song and anybody can listen to it whenever they want ( I realize that it's a really great way to expand one's vocabulary, it just doesn't interest me much). Second, because I want to re-learn the guitar, and really learn to make my own music this time.

I "practice" by looking stuff up on youtube - triad exercises, scale stuff, chords and arpeggios. Also, backing tracks that lay out the scales on the screen. And, I play with others as much as they'll have me.

16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

When I was taking lessons for almost ten years, I broke my practices up into three sections. 1) Technique, 2) Theory (including reading, scales, etc.), 3) Learning and practicing songs. Practice lasted an hour or two every evening.

I've not taken lessons now in almost eight years. Lessons taught me how to teach myself. These days, I mostly just play for fun with no real structure to practices. But I do try to consciously understand the music that I play in theory more than just play what I feel.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What is this “practice” you speak of? o_O:oops::twisted:

I saw that @Cheap Trills basically beat me to this quip, but there's my short answer. I'll resist giving my long answer.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  18. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Mainly making up licks or short songs, plus some solos and rhythm work mainly through my vetta or line 6 spider at low volumes.

19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I don't. It's shameful. Got a lot of life happening right now. When I do get to play, I try to learn songs that have playing techniques I want to learn. For me that's the easiest way to stay motivated to learn new things, instead of just playing my favorite AC/DC and Petty riffs.

20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

When I’m in a band, almost exclusively I’m practicing along with the songs with my headphones into S-Gear.

When I’m not, which is more often, I just jam in my basement through a cooking ‘64 Champ. No homework, just coming up with licks or playing stuff I already know for fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.