How do you practice at Home?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Jan 14, 2020.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I do with a supeclean amp, no effects, a drummachine and the setlist of my band. And then i imagine „what would mike Campbell do?“ I guess you get the picture....

gwjensen and jhundt like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Usually unplugged, sometimes plugged into my iPad

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

My whole board into my iRig through Garageband on my iPhone or iPad. Just to practice licks/parts/songs and the effects I’m gonna use. I cant be loud as I have a year old bub sleeping and I have a day job, so I can only practice when everybody is sleeping. I rarely get to plug in through my Classic 30, but when I do, its bliss.

drneilmb and gwjensen like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just grab whatever guitar I feel like playing, and get busy.
    I have lots of great guitars and many amps at home, but I almost never plug in.

rand z, Tommy Biggs, Ian T and 2 others like this.
  5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Plug in. Noodle. Noodle some more. Rinse and repeat.

I might not learn much in a hurry but I'm having endless fun.

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Plugged into the DAW and wearing cans. I tend to just play, not practice.

naveed211 and gwjensen like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have an OM acoustic to keep in touch, a Princeton and a Hwy.1 to play quietly.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

In the nude with a cigarette in my mouth and a cold beer by my side.;)

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I often practice during my lunch break at work (if that counts), either in the backseat of my car or sitting just outside, depending on the weather. I take along a guitar, usually my SX Tele or Harmony H-801 and my Vox Mini 3. I usually play about 30 minutes and it's almost always slide practice, playing scales, riffs and songs.

At home, I plug into my recording setup in my home office which is my pedal 'board', a Hotone Nano head or Binary Amp, Hotone Binary IR Cab to a Behringer mixer. From the mixer I can go into anything from headphones, to monitor speakers or to my Peavey Bandit 65's clean channel, depending on the volume I can get away with at the time. Guitar selection varies a lot since I have a bunch of them around here. I usually play along to YouTube backing tracks or do more boring stuff like practicing scales or a YouTube lesson.

10. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I play along to backing tracks (tons of them out there) or other recorded music through a fender Monterey blue tooth speaker or my stereo. The music, that is. The guitar goes through an amp.

Charlodius likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Doesn't everyone? You have me worried now.:eek:

Moriarty, Chunkocaster and stormsedge like this.
  12. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i throw a riff or verse/chorus into the looper and make up melody and harmonies to it. at the moment, and inspired by your good selves, it's ' i put a spell on you'.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

In my basement. Run a backing track or what I'm trying to learn through the PA and practice it standing up with the rig I'd be using for a gig. Maybe not as loud. If I want to "improvise" a solo for this song, I will record the rhythm in the looper and go over it for a number of runs. I play a lot of solo acoustic open mics and I practice the same way...standing up, with the microphones on, plugged in. I find I'm more confident when I play having done it this way.

When the band comes over to my house, we rehearse at some volume, and I hope that my playing doesn't go to hell.

If I am working on a new technique, I have Truefire or YouTube in my office and I'll work with my super champ on low and sit down and try and learn it. A lot of sit down acoustic finger picking I'm trying to learn.

I used to play with a guy that (claimed) he could nail it sitting down, but when the band convened and he was standing, he couldn't. He was also a "big guy" so that might been the difference.

chipwich, Tommy Biggs and gwjensen like this.
  14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's a couple of mind pictures I really didn't need... o_O:p

I keep an acoustic by the keyboard for spontaneous moments. Otherwise, I plug into a DAW and use BIAS FX plugins to create whatever makes sense for what I'm trying to play.

Chunkocaster and stormsedge like this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I've got a "five minute rig" where I can practice either through a pair of amps or with headphones. I can be playing within a half minute - thus the name: I can fill a five minute opening in my life with practice if I want to. The front end is a Line6 Helix Floor. When the rest of the household is asleep I can play through headphones. I've got banks of my presets with speaker emulation for playing with phones and other banks of presets without speaker emulation to use through the amps.

But the actual practice? I've got different "tracks" of material that I work on: one track is pieces for upcoming recording sessions. That one commands a certain urgency. Another is pieces I've come across that demand adaptation and growth in my technique. Another is just pieces I enjoy playing for my own gratification, satisfaction, and emotional catharsis. And then there are the pieces I've written that I'm working up for my dreamed-of album.*

Bob

* I'm a recording engineer/producer. You'd be amazed how hard it is to get around to your own work because the last thing on earth you want to do after spending a long week working on other people's product is start working on your own. You know what they say about the shoemaker's children: they have no shoes.

chipwich, dswo and gwjensen like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Not enough...and it depends...if I'm home alone, I may work down the line and crank things up...if Mrs. and/or granddaughters are in the house--acoustic.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I gig pretty often ( say, weekly if not more) and basically ' noodle' on acoustic for a few hours daily at home.

By noodle, this just means I play mostly Dylan, Neil Young, John Prine, Dead songs....

( * I learned a bunch of these artists' songs, some get performed, others I just like playing the chord progressions as physical/ mental exercise)
    ...plus a lot of blues, and bluegrass.

Then, it seems I'm always working on more cool covers to do- lately it's been " Comfortably Numb" " Let It Rain" " Jealous Guy" ( for acoustic duo).

I just play acoustic at home as we now live in an apartment. Plus it makes playing the electric gigs easier on the hands and fingers.
    I just gotta play something, daily!

gwjensen and frank a like this.
  18. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

practice?

Moriarty, hemingway and beagle like this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Uhhhh, waaaaaay too much information. And I'm not talking about the cigarette or the beer. :eek: :D

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Practice is not a skill I've been able to hold on to.

I will pick up a guitar and rip a few riffs, unplugged, then put it back down. Repeat multiple times a day.

This is a bad habit. I was starting to practice, but then jobs and the holidays and, well, I need - and want - to get back to it.

naveed211 and hemingway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.