How do you play your collection of guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jun 13, 2021.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Poorly.

2. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

My method to my madness is clinical and totally boring. I’ve got 12 guitars (and counting!):

- Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 ‘64 VOS
    - Gibson TV Yellow Les Paul Special
    - Gretsch Silver Duo Jet w/Bigsby
    - Shelton Galaxyflite III w/mastery Trem
    - Fender Mod Shop Jaguar
    - Fender Custom Shop ‘62 Strat
    - Fender Custom Shop ‘53 Tele w/humbucker neck
    - Fender Custom Shop ‘55 Tele
    - Fender Custom Shop Broadcaster
    - Fender 70th Anniversary Esquire
    - Fender 70th Anniv Broadcaster
    - Fender Willcutt FSR Walnut Top Tele

Every 30 hours, I rotate them religiously.

It typically takes me about a week to accumulate 30 hours of playtime. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. Either way, after 30 hours it’s “Next please!”

I find that for me, each guitar inspires me to play a certain style or genre based on the vibe it gives and by consistently rotating them, it keeps things fresh and prevents me from playing the same old thing and getting stuck in a rut. So my Gretsch inspires me to tackle Rockabilly; with my Jag and Shelton I like to experiment with lots of echo/delay effects-laden stuff; my strat for ‘60s influenced bluesy rock or 80’s inspired clean tones; My TV Yellow LP special is all about punky pop/new wave or glam; My Teles and ES-335 I find myself playing vintage rock/country/blues/Jazz mainly.

A side benefit of this is that it spreads the inevitable fretwear more evenly between the guitars.

Between my Teles and ES-335, they can do just about do all I want though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  3. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I have an archtop that is in open G, so that gets used when I'm feeling open G-ish. Then the tele, which gets used when I'm feeling like I need to learn something new. Its what i would pick up without thinking..The strat comes out when I feel noodly and want to fidget with knobs and pickups and whammy bar. The DC junior is now my number 2 but I haven't done a gig with it yet - we'll see, but when I want to belt out a tune that's the one I pick up.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I take one electric out at a time and keep it out for days to weeks depending on my mood or if I'm working on something in particular. I never keep a guitar out for less than a few days. My FCS '69 Stratocaster is out more than the other four combined. My Telecaster, my other Strat, my SG, and Annie see pretty much equal time, maybe a bit less for the Gretsch because it's more limited. I have two acoustics, one good one and one beater. The good one is my front porch guitar. I haven't had any use for the beater for a year and change. Hopefully that will change.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting question @LGOberean!

I currently have 13 guitars, but that is counting 5 lap steels. I don’t like that number, so I need to buy another guitar soon. I don’t give the lap steels much attention.
    That leaves me with 4 acoustics and 4 electrics.
    The acoustics get more attention than the electrics.

My main banger:
    upload_2021-6-13_19-35-35.jpeg
    The back up when I get tired of the main banger:
    CCFB8DDE-D421-4681-950D-9AEBC1665D0C.jpeg

Then the heavy artillery when called upon:
    128D93BA-E7D4-4028-8BC0-B14A446A8B20.jpeg

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know how.

I've taken several of the approaches mentioned here. I often wish I didn't have so many guitars, but now I do, and almost all of them are hard for me to part with. It would help if anyone else in the family wanted to play; I've given several already to my eldest.

I keep one acoustic parked in the living room, and two plugged in in the music room".

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

One at a time (I can't play with my feet and toes, so...) All smart aleckedness aside, I've decided to downsize the herd by one more, the D'Angelico Excel SS, since I haven't bonded with it like I thought I would. With that one gone, in the electric realm there are four remaining: My USA Epiphone Sheraton, which is my primary stage electric, my Tele partscaster which is my practice go to, my jazzbox Heritage H550, and my Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12 string. This one has gotten the least playing time over the last year or so, since gigs were not going on because of... you know. These four will stay in the rotation/stable permanently. Acoustics number but two, and for around the house and church, the old Martin gets the nod. My Taylor 816ce sees the stage a lot more than the Martin because of the relative values. The Martin is worth $20-30K, the Taylor around $2K, so the smaller loss risk dictates which one usually gets used out more.

8. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

I've purchased three guitars in the last year. Each one I've played until I got the new one, latest being American Performer Tele Hum, which I'm stuck on now.

DADGAD likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

You have assumed I have a collection.

10. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

I only have 5. 2 electrics and 3 acoustics. I always have at least 1 acoustic on a stand rotate between either my strat or my Sheraton. Usually it’s just a cycle with my electrics. What I’m feelingsrvthatvyine.

11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I swap off between my three Les Paul’s, two Stratocaster’s, and my Telecaster.

I keep a couple of guitars tuned a 1/2 step down and which guitar depends upon the song that I am learning.

Sometimes my most recently purchased guitar gets most of my attention.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.