How do you play your collection of guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jun 13, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

One a day? And how does that work for you if you have more than seven guitars? Do you then go to two a day?

Or do you go in cycles? Do you get caught up with one guitar and play that one pretty much exclusively for a while, then switch to another and repeat the process? With this cyclical approach, how long does it take you to get through your collection of guitars?

Or do you? Are there some guitars in your collection that you never seem to get around to? Are they intentionally wall hangers, or does it just kind of work out that way? If guitars don’t get played, do you eventually sell them?

Or is your approach purpose driven? Do you select the guitar you play for the specific application (e.g., acoustic or electric, single coils or humbuckers, 6 or 12 strings)?

Did you notice that I’ve created an original post with nothing but interrogative sentences? :twisted:

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I noticed! My answer, completely at random, as the mood takes me.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much this. That cycle can last a week, or an hour.

I have 3 guitars that get most of the playing time, because they are my favorites. However, sometimes I'm in the mood for something different, and I'll grab one of the others, but I always end up back with one of the big 3.

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

A few are in "temporary" storage, waiting for a special occasion. (a show where I need a specific guitar for a specific sound.)

Most are in rotation... one a day, seven days a week... for fun and practice.

2 are reserved for most shows , only. (The workhorses that I keep in tip top shape.)

TelEBaby123 and LGOberean like this.
  5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I have at least one in every room that I spend time in. I tend to alternate regularly between the guitars in each room. Sometimes guitars get moved from one room to another, or get swapped with one in storage. A few seem to never make it out of storage. That could change as I install a few more wall hangars.

El Tele Lobo and LGOberean like this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Badly.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I usually have a guitar and a bass on hooks on the wall. The rest are in cases. Sometimes I’ll have another but usually just 2 at a time for a week or so and then rotate. Usually rotate because I want a different tone. If I had a way to keep all my guitars handy and not cross my wife I’d do it. But I don’t have a big enough space to keep a bunch of stands on the floor so there’s cases under beds and in closets.

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Well, it used to be that I would rotate through the lot. Then I had cases on top of cases and went back to my regular routine. The ones I keep out are an Ibanez dreadnought, a Tele, a Uke, a Galveston travel guitar and 2 parlor acoustics. I have a resonator and Epi Jr available close. Many others locked in the dark and they talk to each other at night. I am currently looking for a new home where I can set them free.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Mine are kind of divided between guitars I gig regularly, the more expensive/rare stuff that stays in the studio, and a handful that stay in their cases and don't get played often.

And I leave a couple of partscasters out in my office to grab and noodle around on during the day. I'd say out of around 30 guitars, 22 to 25 of them get played pretty regularly in one situation or another.

- D

dented and LGOberean like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have a "first string" line-up of about 6 guitars that I keep handy. These get swapped out from time to time with others that are stored. I have 3 that don't get swapped out because they're my favorites.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Cycles. I've got +/- 15 functional guitars with another few put aside for repairs or upgrades at any given time.

I don't give it any direct thought, but the way it goes is I'll play the heck out of one or two for a month or so and then when I get a bug up my ass to play another I'll switch. Rinse and repeat. Probably takes me a couple of years to cycle through them all. If something hangs for long enough that I haven't played it in eons, I'll consider selling or trading it (if there's no sentimental attachment).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

each is a tool in the box, and as such I play them that way, my strats dont sound like SGs ,and firebirds dont play like 335's, teles dont sound like godins ETC

dented, LGOberean and StrangerNY like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Four electrics, three acoustics and one bass get rotated through at least once a week. I am typically working on three “projects” and one technique almost on a daily basis, so my focus is typically with one or two acoustics and one or two electrics, but I rarely let a guitar get a pass for more than a few days. Before this winter, my strat stayed in it’s case most of the time, but I have it in a good rotation now.

Part of my rotation success is due to having most of my guitars in permanent alternate tunings, so I need to keep those tunings fresh in my mind.

rand z, W.L.Weller and LGOberean like this.
  14. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

Mine’s more a utilitarian/purpose driven approach as I tend to keep guitars in different tunings. Also, like the OP mentioned, the style of music dictates a lot as most of my guitars have very different sounding pick ups. In the long run though, they all get their fair share of playing depending on my mood!

rand z, Obsessed and LGOberean like this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I knew someone was going to beat me to it…

:D

TelEBaby123, dkmw and LGOberean like this.
  16. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I have a small collection..tele, strat, gretsch, and acoustic are my main playing guitars. I find that I generally play one for a month stint until I pick up another and get really into that one, then I play that for a month or so. I have them all next to each other in cases ready to go but find that I’m fixated on one at a time.

If I had more projects going I would use them all though because they all do different things and have different strengths and colors.

17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

In two words, “not enough”.

18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I have 8, including a bass and an acoustic. I regularly play a five or six guitar rotation. I don't play the bass as much as could, nor my Ibanez AFJ91, because there really is no need, but I like having a jazz box in the mix.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

My two acoustics hardly ever see the light of day now. They are in cases. The rest are out and I rotate through them depending on how much I feel that I have gotten past the point of breaking them back in, or at least breaking myself back into them. Most times that is two consecutive days or so. I may sell the Guild though. It has become redundant in my collection.

Obsessed, TelEBaby123 and LGOberean like this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been thinning the heard over the past four years and am down to four electrics and two acoustics. Only the 000-18 is currently in a gig bag, unplayed for months. It’s likely the next to go.
    Of the 5 guitars that are always out, I play them based on the specific song I’m playing. Otherwise I reach for my Tele first. If I need a Strat I must select from the two I have. One is destined to be sold but I’m torn between the two.
    The less guitars you have the more you play those in your possession. Decrease the denominator and you’ll enjoy your instruments more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.