How do you play golf?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I'm not a golfer. I've been to a driving range a few times... enough to determine that the dollars-to-enjoyment ratio was too high for me. But I am an athlete, and I am athletically inclined.

I recently accepted an invitation to join a 4-man team, where the rules state that one person on each team must be a non-golfer. I guess it's a scramble of sorts, where a team gets a certain perk whenever if they use the ball of the non-golfer?? I don't know actually.

The team captain is a super cool guy and in explaining it to me, promised that he'd make it fun for me. I told him I didn't just want to ride around in a golf cart all day, hitting $$$ out into the woods, and having the rest of the team wait on me the whole time.

I don't own a set of clubs. I thought about contacting the pro shop at the course and find out if they'll rent a set for the day. The team captain said not to worry about it... "You really only need a (blank), a (blank), and a putter." I don't remember what the other clubs where that he mentioned.

I'm doing this two weeks from now. Any suggestions?

Papa Joe and Jakedog like this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am not a golfer. I have golfed maybe six times in my life. To say I am horrible would be giving me credit. My normal golf swing comes off at a 45 degree angle. I don't play.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Driver and a 7-iron?

rcole_sooner likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

A driver, a five iron (or a wedge ?) and the putter.

Check CL for Nashville under sporting goods. Make an offer - the seller will just want to get rid of them - they'll take anything. You could stop by a pro shop before looking on CL cuz they can tell you what size you need as you pretend to shop in their store...:lol:

Go and have fun. I'd love to join a league and fulfill the "hack" role. (There's no pressure)

Toto'sDad and rcole_sooner like this.
  5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you don't slice shots, miss hit, drive it about 6 feet, you must be a natural. Have fun.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Sorry, no help here. I'm not just bad; I'm dangerous.

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Rent a set of clubs from the pro shop.

Have fun.

Scrambles are great for new golfers. Since it is a scramble you can just drop where your friends hit a good shot. If you happen to hit a good .... then yay!!!

Have fun.

Don't play slow. Be ready to hit when it is your turn. Don't worry about the club since you are a beginner. If your friends make a suggestion use that club, otherwise just grab one and swing. All clubs will miss the same way. Sorry, but really that is just how it is until you get much better.

Have fun.

You might get your buds to take you out to the driving range a couple of times before playing, but don't expect too much. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn to hit a golf ball well. I'm talking 3 or 4 times a week, 300+ balls a night, for a whole Summer, just to learn to hit well enough to try and break 90 ... or maybe even just break 100.

Have fun.

You probably won't even learn to make good ball contact, unless you are just one of the gifted ones. So accept the swing and miss ... I still miss contact at times. Don't worry about it.

Have fun.

Most new folks help the most on the putting green. So a bit of putting practice may go further than any driving range practice.

Have fun.

Don't spend a lot of time looking for a lost golf ball. Buy some cheap ones from Walmart or whereever ... really cheap ones ... get a dozen or more. Expect to lose many. But don't waste time looking. If you find it get, if not move on.

Have fun.

Especially don't pick up other people's golf balls. If you are not sure it is yours leave it. Look at the last pic below. I mark mine with my initials, so I can tell which is mine.

Have fun.

Oh, and mostly ... have fun ... don't expect to play well ... I don't and I am 10 handicap :lol:.

Relax, and have fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a golfer. I love to play golf. It's a blast. I'm horrible at it, but I have a great time.

You may hate it, or you may get hooked. The first time I went I went to a second hand sporting goods store and got a full set of clubs and a bag for around $60. I now have a much nicer set than I deserve.

I liken my golf game to when I make love- I have an incredible time, but it's disgusting if you have to watch it.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the captain might have been alluding to the precision involved in club selection. Experienced golfers know their swing potential and match it to a the varying club face geometry to put the ball exactly where they want it.

I think the guy is basically saying, without the swing potential awareness, it really doesn't matter if you have a full numbered set. I golfed on a team in high school one year with a driver, 3,5,7,9 and putter.

RodeoTex and rcole_sooner like this.
  10. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

IMO, any activity you can do while drinking a beer isn't a sport. That aside, if I were to give 3 clubs to a person that never played golf before it would be a 3 wood, 7 iron and putter. So to your question, you are going to hit your ball into the woods, the rough, the water, and about 10 yards in front of you, no matter what. I suggest you have a few beers, not worry about what happens when you try to hit the ball. You will get one or two solid shots also. If you are a competitive sort and want to help your team, I suggest spending some time on a practice putting green over the next couple of weeks. There is a saying in golf, drive for show, putt for dough. The course will rent you clubs, but if your friends are true blue golfers, they will have all the stuff to put a set together for you. Golfers are just as bad as guitar players when it comes to suffering from GAS.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:):D:lol:

Toto'sDad, Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I tend to putter about the 19th hole :cool:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

How do I play golf? Very poorly, thanks for asking. Golf is the frustratingest sport I've ever tried. What could be simpler? The ball doesn't move, and the hole doesn't move. All you gotta do is hit the stationary ball into the stationary hole.

Then howcum I can't play golf worth a damn??

william tele likes this.
  14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm not a golfer either.
    But every "golfer" i ever played with was eager to tell me what I was doing wrong.

If you're athletically inclined, you'll probably pick it up on the fly. Good chance you might even score better than the other guys your second time out :)

15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Go for it! I used to golf several times a week but haven't at all in years. Keep getting the urge, but meh, so far. BUT it IS fun game, especially once you get to the point that you can shoot at least bogey golf (average one over par each hole, for the entire round), where I was at. I can par and birdie, but always have a few double par holes, or worse.

BTW if you do buy a set, think used or NOS sets that are FAR cheaper. I still have the set I bought ~20 years ago, but have changed woods a few times. Went to Roger Dunn and tried every NOS set they had on the indoor range, and one set just kept clicking with my swing. It's a house brand Cougar, perimeter-weight Ping-type. Had them re-gripped 3 years ago but have only used them on the driving range, and I can still hit pretty well. The executive course near me I used to play a lot is so slow these days you can walk on and play alone if you want. Also fairly cheap, was about $15-17 a round, now $22, or $14 for 9 holes.

Also, don't look up. Keep your head still and eye on the ball throughout the swing, and visualize the path you want the ball to take as you set up.

16. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Try to thrift a set of used clubs for a few bucks (hopefully you are right handed, otherwise good luck!). Watch a few Youtube videos on how to swing and hit a few of the foam practice balls in your back yard, so that you at least remind yourself of what it feels like to swing a club. Then go out and have fun at least trying to play. Everyone else will know that you're not a player and understand your situation. Ask for tips one what club to play, how to set up a shot, etc. You may even decide that its worth giving the game a try.
    Tom

17. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I've thought about taking it up. I even got a nice set of clubs (my oldest son now owns them - he's a much better golfer than I am) but given my other commitments and available time it just doesn't make sense. Something would have to give, either not exercising as much, or playing the guitar less. I've prioritized and at this point in my life golf just isn't in the cards for me.

18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

+1.

An old guy at work bought an ancient 2 iron and putter at a yard sale for $2.00 and taught himself to play. He started buying more clubs once he broke 100. True story, and breaking 100 is not a slam dunk. And yes, he was cheap.

The right thing to do is take lessons, get fitted, all that good stuff. But you can get by if you're already athletic by getting a decent set of clubs, learning basic grip etc and going at it. There are some good books on golf that show you the fundamentals.

If you think this is a one time deal, just borrow your team mates clubs. Have fun regardless.

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The clubs you'd actually have a chance at being productive with would be something like a 4 or 6 iron, a pitching wedge, and the putter. Don't try to hit a driver if you're not a practiced golfer, they're very unforgiving clubs. That's not a knock on you as an athlete, just a fact of the equipment IMO. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk!

I have a halfway decent swing since I grew up playing with my dad a couple times each summer, more and more as I entered adulthood, and I never swing my driver (hand-me-down from a friend). I always tee off with my 3 iron.

The way I like to play a scramble is for a guy like me to tee off first, with said 3 iron, and try to park a serviceable shot in the fairway (which is still rare hahaha). If successful that let's the more talented folks swing for the fences without fear of being left with a crap lie. Once you get onto the green you get to watch the same putt 4 times so maybe you should go last to get the best read and have a chance for the extra points!!

Other than that, take as much of their advice as you can digest and don't take it too seriously and you'll have a great time!

When I play golf it's as much about becoming a better golfer as having fun with my friends and drinking beer and smoking cigars in public haha.

trouserpress, Stubee and rcole_sooner like this.
  20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Driving range and putting green. repeat. a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.