How Do You Play Blues?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by burtf51, Jun 7, 2019.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

and you're right, it would take decades of practice to reach that level but what you can learn from these lessons and the one you mentioned is musical knowledge that you lacked that will only add to making you be able to play so much better. If I pick up one chord voicing, one improve idea, one structured movement...one anything I didn't know or understand I've advanced tremendously and that's a good thing and feeling to advance...Barney aside, I've been mostly working on traditional tunes, bluegrass flat picking, chord melody etc for quite awhile now...so if someone wants to advance musically you have to listen, study and practice, in my case it's traditional, blues, country, bluegrass, jazz, latin from the 20's - 60's or so and bits and pieces of classical movements and not only guitar but every instrument, notes are notes

stinkey and Greggorios like this.
  2. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Well, as far as I understand most kinds of guitar music comes from (at least partly) blues.

So I think of jazz as being sophisticated, urbanised blues played by overthinkers that actually knows how play their instrument damn well.

Others say that you just listen and play what you hear (hey, it’s that call and response thing).

matrix likes this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

"Nice Glasses"...hmm, sounds like a good title for a new blues or country song Larry.

ndcaster and Larry F like this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I think it comes from endless constant playing the five or so blues styles that relate to your particular mojo. And we keep playing our five or so styles over and over, so much so that it becomes part of us. Robben Ford is a good example of someone that lives by this. His solos are simply continuations from what he was playing the night before and the year before that.

We too can do what Robben does which is create the way our five styles would go.

My five styles would be slow 12/8 blues, an up 12/8 or swing shuffle, a rhumba blues really adds to the variety, and how about some interesting minor blues, and hmm, how about a 32 bar blues, a 23 bar,,,
    Or Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, a 19 bar blues, very cool.

This is where attending many open blues jams can be invaluable

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Great post and thread. Thanks Burt. Gotta go practice with Barney...:)

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

ha just opened my laptop and you popped up...been sitting here practicing on my flat picking this morning...really nice how you can insert bits and pieces of things you already play into improving on a tune...Cal Collins another player I admire started out playing banjo I believe but you can hear him slip cool genre licks into his playing...that's making it your own thing...

Check this out...

Greggorios likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

knowledge is knowledge

love Barney

didn't he play with Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald? he was on the top shelf for a reason

Greggorios and burtf51 like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

hmm!

Greggorios likes this.
  9. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

here I go moving direction...oh well back to Cal, he played with the Benny Goodman Orchestra for around 7 years, now some folks think of BG as bubblegum jazz but the entire band were really accomplished players, think that's where I first stumbled upon Cal and knew immediately I had hit pay dirt for me...Cal and Kenny Poole were both from Cincinatti and what fantastic players they were. Funny I searched youtube for Cal Collins playlist and I popped right up...hmm something's wrong here, me? but then that's all I do is research who's playing what in all the old groups...if anyone isn't familiar with Cal you'll either see just how damn good he was or you just won't get it...hopefully you will!

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If you listen to music related to your passion- perhaps played with technique at or beyond your capacity- sometimes a little of that skill, or feel will rub off. I'm still hopeful......

burtf51 and Greggorios like this.
  11. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I tried a pentatonics experiment, and it worked out amazingly and it became an important part of my playing.

Combine major pent and minor pent, along with the blues b5 note, and play that mix over all three dom7th chords.

In A that would be,

A7 use A min & maj pents + b5
    D7 use D min & maj pents + b5
    E7 use E min & maj pents + b5

This gives us all 12 notes to play with making for excellent chromatic blues licks. It sounds jazzy but is really just all the blues based pents, it's like a hidden language of sorts,,,

A7. . . . . . . . . . . . . .D7. . . . . . . . . . . . A7 etc,
    ------------------------7-|-8-10-7-8------7----|------8'
    -7-8-------7-8-10----|---------------9-7---9-|-10---
    -------8-9---------------|--------------------------|--------
    ---------------------------|--------------------------|--------

One more, showing how it sounds over E7 D7 A7, bars 9, 10, 11, 12,,,

. .E7. . . . . . . . . . D7

----7------------5-8-|-10-8---------------------|
    -9---8-7-5-8-------|---------9------7----------|
    ------------------------|------------10----7----9-|
    ------------------------|----------------------10---|
    ------------------------|-----------------------------|
    ------------------------|-----------------------------|

. A7. . . . . . . . . . . . A7. . . . . .E7#9 >> A7
    ---------------------------|--------------------
    -10----------------------|------------------8
    ------8-7-5-7-5-------|-6---------------7
    ---------------------------|----7-5---------6
    ---------------------6-7-|----------7--------
    ---------------------------|--------------------

What I love about this is the "unexpected note". In the 3rd bar I play two C notes in a common sort of way, but in the 4th bar It changes to C# coming out of A maj pent. It sort of grabs my ear as unexpected. Robben Ford is excellent at the major when you expect minor blues thing. It's one of the things I really dig about his style, especially back in his 20s when these sounds were new to my virgin ears.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well from what I've listened to and read in old vinyl record liner notes usually written by a producer of the time, Blues and Jazz came up together maybe before the branch of blues we consider Blues from the guitar players perspective.

I think that there were a few early Blues guitar players who became so popular that their style of Blues guitar became what most everyone thinks of as Blues, despite the fact that Blues is a far broader musical landscape than the "Blues guitar" lexicon embraces.

So where some here hear a Jazz guy play Blues and it sounds like Jazz, I often hear a Jazz guy play Jazz and it sounds like Blues.

Here's a few Jazz guys playing Blues that might tie some stuff together and might just call the whole thing off...

Count Basie is maybe the last guy a Blues player would look to for inspiration, but for whatever reason I had some Basie albums from the 1930s, which were taken from original 78's and had pretty bad sound but just a great feel and drive.
    Basie began his career in 1924 and was in his prime during the great depression, so big band Jazz played for audiences with the blues, and they were not the prim and proper thing that Jazz came to be seen as much later.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Obsessed and burtf51 like this.
  13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

"Count Basie is maybe the last guy a Blues player would look to for inspiration" ...I think they call those folks Rock blues players

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Minor thirds.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Historically, Blues came from people like Charlie Patton in the MS Delta region during early 20th century.

Sure there were other's who influenced the genre, but Charlie recorded early and that really made it accessible to many other's.

Historically, Jazz to a great degree came from Storyville cathouses in New Orlean's... also around 1900. Mostly piano music ala Jelly Roll Morton.

The crossover factor is evident and remains pretty obvious in the songs recorded at that early time and today.

Naturally, there are no clear origin's to either.

But, IMO, there are difference's inherent in/to each genre.

(One big difference is the harmonic structure of those early songs... i.e. you can only get 6 notes from a guitar at one time; but at least 10 noters from a piano. The piano songs were a bit more harmonically complex... or "Jazzy.")

You can even go back to Africa and find that tribes there differed in their approach to the music that they played. Some tribes were very rhythmic and concentrated on drums, rattles and shakers (John Lee Hooker), while others played flutes or banjo type of stringed instrument's, sang and were more melodic (Skip James).

When they were brought here, their tribal song structure followed... and the different areas of MS, LA, GA, AL where they were sold and settled, reflected either the more rhythmic songs and/or the more melodic song's. Or, combinations of both.

And, some the that song structure from Africa was quite complex... some was very crude.

Jazz and Blues?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  16. Greggorios

In 12 Bars?...

17. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

or as Jimmy McCracklin said “I plays 13 bar blues”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

it helps if you have a crappy job, your wife is sleeping around, your girlfriend leaves you, your car dies,the refrigerator quits working, the cotton won't grow, and you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.

so basically its a state of mind, like most things in life....

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Finesse & feeling will take you a long way

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Nice video. More maybe St Louis Blues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.