How Do You Play Blues?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by burtf51, Jun 7, 2019.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Barney explains exactly how...

ponce, Gene O., joealso and 11 others like this.
  2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

warrent likes this.
  3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

with a Mississippi string tie and a vibrato equipped Pignose.

4. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

so for example...

GoldieLocks, G-52, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

how I play blues: best I can, some days slightly better than others. but never at a Barney Kessel level.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

I hear you, that makes two of us...I mean many, many, many of us...there's some really great learnable/doable moments in all his vids in the playlist, even if you just listen to what he says...

oh and PS...doesn't matter how good you are in any genre, I'd hate for anyone who hasn't previously listened, to look past the value of each lesson in the playlist... bottom line it's about music...I've been working myself through this playlist for a spell and still got forever to go...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Reading his GP columns, I thought of Barney Kessel as a bit of a judgmental and patronizing fellow. But when I began hearing his voice in videos such as this, he seems awfully sincere. What I had thought was patronizing in print was really clear and helpful in his speech. He sometimes over-explains things as he tries to define concepts with the utmost clarity.

He once tried to pick up my girlfriend during a break, with a simple, yet classic, "Nice glasses." Succinct. But ultimately ineffectual.

Treadplatedual and Greggorios like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Barney was a godsend!
    Swinging, relentless, unpredictable and consistently brilliant.
    He got a great tone, too.
    I love his Poll Winners, and collaborations with Stephane Grapelli and the Great Guitars.
    He left us lots to remember him by.

Treadplatedual, elihu, E5RSY and 4 others like this.
  9. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Blues?

Me call this here thing jazz!

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh, I play blues not nearly as well as Barney the K, Robben the F, or Peter the G!

Wildcard_35, Frodebro and Greggorios like this.
  11. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

With much sorrow and deep depression and mostly bored to death.
    Here I sit torchered so well
    Trapped in a prison
    Of pentatonic he'll

Your kidding right?

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

He was one of those musicians who supported the song, who knew what to leave out but what he left in was so thoughtful, so caring and well crafted. Listening recently to Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five sessions - where Kessel played on some but not all songs* - I find his phrasing, a simple understated run, a little break where he just sits inside the changes but turns your head around with comping and note choices. And always to support the song.

*Talow and Puma were also tapped for some numbers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    elihu, matrix and burtf51 like this.
  13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Well it was sorta a baited title, otherwise it would have only gotten a couple views...but everything originated in the blues and yes it is blues although too many players think blues is only SRV, Clapton ie Rock blues but viewing Barney's lessons with a closed mind that "this is jazz, yuck, I could care less" misses the immense musical knowledge contained within each lesson. Doesn't mean someone will ever be or even want to be another Barney Kessel but more musically knowledgeable.

I never cared for a one trick pony player that much but rather those who appreciated and studied various genre's, you can hear the influences in their playing as they put it all together and make it their own...I remember an interview with Tony Rice saying "don't try to play/sound like me, I don't want to hear it, rather play what you hear, make it your own"...and that's what all the truly great players did, that's what separated them from others...ie Barney Kessel, Joe Pass, Hank Garland, Leon Rhodes, Buddy Emmons, Tony Rice, Doc Watson on and on...take country music today (I mean pop rock they calling country) everyone sounds basically the same...same with blues way too many wanna be a SRV clone instead of going back and studying the true blues masters ie T-Bone Walker, Otis Rush, Eddie Taylor, Louis Myers etc etc

Greggorios, rangercaster and matrix like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It does appear to be blues, and if it is, it is oddly the first blues that I don't care for. Perhaps it is blues for jazz players?

T Prior likes this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't play blues.

hollowman likes this.
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Never thought of Barney as a Blues Artist... Jazz, really.

IMO, Blues has a definite vocabulary and feeling. Pure Blues.

It take a lot of serious listening, study and practice to learn that vocabulary.

Then...

... you play it.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

It’s blues alright. It’s just that it sounds jazzy when played on a jazz box.

Greggorios likes this.
  18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I always think of the essence of the blues as a conversation - the call and response. If you don’t understand this then all the pentatonics and dominant 7th chords in the world won’t save you.
    Perhaps I’ll see what Barney has to say on the subject.

19. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    I'm equally as impressed with the bass player on that Barney video - a skill level of pretty much the same level is required for that.
    But heck, the Barney is a master.

There's only one way to play blues like that, if you have a musical ear and rhythm to start with, 8 or more hours a day for decades, plus playing with many other musicians. Knowing your fret board like you know your own hands. Heck, making the guitar speak like your own voice without even having to think. That's the level. A direct channel to the hands from the mind. Kinda like driving, but with a hundred more things to NOT have to think about, because you already know where your fingers go :D

I play a bit of blues, but I'm a total neophyte by comparison. I try to play an hour or two a day.

YouTube is my teacher - and whilst it is no substitute for lessons with a top guitarist, it's a lot cheaper! :D

I find Marty Schwartz the easiest to learn from and ended up buying his acoustic blues masterclass - https://www.martymusic.com/products/acoustic-blues-superclass

It's not bad, I found myself flying through it pretty quickly and picked up a bunch of stuff I didn't know - as I've been lazy and just stuck around the pentatonics on 3rd/5th/7th/9th frets for years, never bothering to learn the basic open chord stuff. Consequently, I could only really do lead/rock chord style stuff and never got that amazing 'full' sound. That place where it all really stems from, where rock originated.

I have zero affiliation with the guy, but I recommend his videos if, like me, you find him easy to learn from.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Greggorios and burtf51 like this.
  20. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Totally - and it's something that bands like Pink Floyd, who started with the Blues, picked up on. You listen to how amazingly they do advanced prog rock style call and response, where vocals meld into the guitar, where all parts of a piece of work call to each other in harmony. Ultimately, it is actually blues despite it's advanced sonic nature. I may be talking ******** here - I've had a few beers :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.