1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you peeps sell on Craigslist, or marketplace?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by paulblackford, Nov 30, 2020.

1. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Specifically, I'm kind of weirded out having people come to my house. How do you all approach selling on places like Craigslist? Do you meet in a neutral place? They can't really check out an amp that way. One of the amps I'm selling is just too heavy to ship (I would probably blow out my back just getting it to UPS), and the others probably would not be worth the cost to ship. Curious about anybody whose done it, and has some advice. Thanks!

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought an amp from a man through CL. I went to his house, and when I arrived he had the floodlights on in the driveway and two big dogs on leashes until he got a look at me(!).

But, I get it. A friend of mine always meets people in very busy store or hotel parking lots near his work. Not sure what to do for an amp. Perhaps demo it just in your garage and have a friend over at the same time.

paulblackford likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hold on. We have not even had Christmas yet and you are already talking about Easter?:eek: IMG_4799.JPG

Torren61 and paulblackford like this.
  4. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

For most transactions, I’ll meet at a nearby coffee shop. I’ve done that with guitars, amps, bikes, and other stuff. If I have had a decent amount of communication with the person, I’ll have them cone to my home if the item is large. But I have never had anyone come into my home. Conversely, I have only gone into a seller’s home once - when I was buying an amp. If a buyer insisted on seeing if the amp worked, I would take a short video of the amp in action (thank you, smartphones). If they’re serious about a particular amp, they have likely (or should have) researched the amps already.

5. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Everyone I've bought or sold to on CL has been nice... but Craigslist is pretty dead where I live. I had a 15Watt amp head on CL for 3 years! With zero interest. I put on Marketplace (same price) and sold it one day later, no haggling. Tonight, every electric guitar on one "page" of Craigslist is a +$2,000 PRS, Fender Custom shop, or Gibson.... seems fishy to me.

nathan5782 and paulblackford like this.
  6. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

Back in the early 2000’s I was selling a lot on eBay and always offered local pickup to save on shipping. I had three people take me up on it. PayPal me the money and then we’ll meet in the parking lot of my local police station seemed to work well.

I started doing this after I sold an Ovation to a guy who showed up a 1/2 hour late to my house then didn’t want to play the guitar. He had his wife with him and wanted ME to play it for them. I did but it all seemed weird, especially the wife. I couldn’t wait for them to leave!

7. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Sounds like good advice. I'll have to roust up a camera, or have a friend shoot some footage. I'm still trying to avoid smartphones.

dean likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have done it all except for meeting up in a dark alley. The most important thing is that you each establish a comfort level as human beings and both feel ok. I have been in people's homes and people have been in mine, but not always.
    If you have a house, you could plug in the amp outside and allow a brief play. Or you could offer a 24 hour return policy - if it doesn't work right, you'll take it back. You could meet someone at a public place, establish they don't seem creepy, and then bring them to your home. That requires some trust on both sides, but the whole thing requires some level of trust. If you can't trust people that much, you are pretty much forced to take it to GC and accept what they give you for it.
    By the way, people have been doing the same thing via Nickel Ads for generations. It really is not that big a deal. In dozens of CL transactions I have never encountered anything remotely shady. CL transactions leave an electronic trail of evidence and usually, via texting each other, cell phone records as well. I'm sure crimes happen but I sense they are extremely rare.

9. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Make an ad, sell at home (I haven't sold anything since I moved, so I'm no longer concerned about break-ins) or near a train station, mostly.

You kind of get over the fear if you let people see you have a kind of a crappy house.

10. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Crappy house? I've got that covered.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I buy/sell on Craigslist with no real issues so far.
    I do everything local, cash only, and will drive anywhere in Northern Virginia.

Just meet outside someone's house or a biz parking lot.

I demoed my new wonderful SG in July on a kid's driveway thru a baby Crate amp!

12. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sell ? Why would I d that?
    I did sell one on CL. I don't do Facebook

13. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I've never had any problems, but I do get a lot of scam calls from CL, so I stick to Marketplace. I think I came close to a scam on Marketplace just a couple days ago... the guy seemed legit... had to think about it, asked for more pictures, we arrived at a price, but when he started talking about having me deal with his sister who was local I got a bit suspicious, and when I said cash only, he suddenly changed his mind. You can't be too careful.

14. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just post on your add that you will not ship or deliver and demo in the garage. I’ve had one person in my house to look at a guitar that they didn’t buy, for small items like pickups and effects pedals usually just meet up at a parking lot like Starbucks or a grocery store. I have been inside a few peoples places to buy guitars and amps they were almost always better musicians than I am. I drove over an hour to buy a blues deluxe and the guy had a 58 Danelectro and 76 strat that sounded really good, he said that he did some recording with John Lee Hooker’s keyboard player.

15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I did eBay a lot about 20 years ago. Shipping was a lot cheaper then. Now, for anything bigger than a pedal I just take a car load to GC and sell it to them. I go in knowing I could make more other ways, but they hand me cash, buy everything I bring and don’t waste my time. That’s worth more to me than a few extra dollars I may make dealing with the general population of CL and FB.

16. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

I hate to be a downer, but after playing, buying and selling guitars for over 40 years, I still may not know that much about guitars, but I know a little about safety in today’s society. And I would be remiss if I didn’t urge caution. Things are different now. Maybe not in a small town. But generally, different than years ago. Don't let a complete stranger into your home for a money transaction. While it may not be that high a percentage, bad things can and do happen sometimes. I’m trying to be helpful.

If you want to save fees or costs and use CL, my suggestion would be check your local police station and see if you can use their lobby or parking lot. Some departments in my general area were actually encouraging it for a while, at least Pre lockdown. At least be somewhere in public. Both parties will feel safer.

17. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Sound advice, for sure. I might just check with the local PD. We had a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood a few years ago. It turned out that one of the neighbors was running a crew, and would watch for people on the street to leave. He would then call his friends who would come by, and rob the house. It's dicey, these days.

18. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Move amp out of your bedroom and into the lounge room before they arrive.

Never considered myself a peep.
    Wouldn't feel comfortable buying from a peep.

19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I post one ad on CL at a time. I don't post $10,000 worth of gear. I require they send me an email with their phone number and I'll call back asap. You can usually tell if a person is good or bad within a few seconds of talking to them. I don't have an issue with doing a demo in my garage.

My two best friends were guys I met on CL who answered my musical gear ad. I liked them both as soon as I met them. The one guy said he wanted to demo my amp during a gig his band was playing at the local fair in town and he showed me $1000 cash. I said okay and he ended up not buying the amp because his Germino covered the same ground as the Suhr Badger 30 I had listed. We've been friends for four years ever since and done deals back and forth and I feel lucky to have met him. Any time we get new/different gear, we let the other borrow it for as long as they want to check it out.

paulblackford and green_henry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.