How do you not know this?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Jun 25, 2015.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When she was younger, my daughter Annika asked what her name meant. I looked it up and told her it means "little Anne". So then she asked what "Anne" meant. She was young enough to believe it when I replied "it means big Annika". Can't argue with logic!

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I'm familiar with almost all of these variants, but in over 60 years I never had a clue that Henry and Harold were related in any way. I knew about Hank and Hal, but no clue about Henry.

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

My grandfather and his eldest son were both named William Henry. Father was Bill, son was Willie.

My father was named Vernal Louis but because of his ruddy complexion was known from childhood by everyone except his mother as Cherry. People misheard that nickname and he went through life to everyone except family and childhood associates as Gerry.

I was named Gerard John and to all except my wife and family I, too, am known as Gerry.

It takes some time, when asked, to explain how I was not named after my father.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

then there was Jethro and Jethrene...;)

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

That's nice. It seems that in most European languages the name translates as redbreast or red-throat - it seems it's only the male who has that feature. There's one cheeky little example who frequents our back garden. They look cute but they're actually very territorial and ferocious little buggers if a rival tries to muscle in.

6. Tony474

The names Henry and Harold don't share common etymology, so they're not actually related except (confusingly) for both being abbreviated to Harry or sometimes Hal. It seems that Harry is actually the Middle English form of Henry, while Harold is derived from Hereweald, an Old English or Anglo-Saxon term meaning the guy in charge of the army.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very good point Raito. The initial scrutiny for matching the name on a card to an actual identity probably was reexamined due to recent hacking ect., so I do commend the gal for doing her job. However, it was asked of her by the associate if she was not aware that "Bill' was derived from, and is an acceptable and interchangeable moniker for "William". She was not aware of that.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw through this whole thing right from the beginning "BILL" holding your thumb over part of your name on the card had nothing to do with it right? Really? C'mon now buddy, how long did you get to stand there and talk to the young lady? Last week I bought and took back the same item four times before they saw through my little ruse. They got suspicious when I kept asking for Linda!

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Rip is also a shortened version of Robert, but nobody ever calls me that.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Please stop sharing page 47 of "The Old Lech Handbook"....We don't need the competition!:D

11. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I knew a guy named Rip - short for Ralph. Great dude - All American lax at UNC, died way too young. Early forties - heart attack. In great shape too. Not fair.

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The unrelated American robins are also very territorial. As you would expect from their Latin name, they also migrate south for the winter. In April the males return here first and fight like crazy over territory. It's not unusual to find a male robin in your backyard who wants to fight with his reflection in your kitchen window! About 3 weeks later the females - who are similarly colored but a little more drab - return and select the males that have secured the best territories for nesting.

My wife and I were in England in January. On our first day back we were sitting in front of a roaring fire having lunch in a lovely country pub, when we saw a Eurasian robin outside the pub window perched on a branch about three feet away from us. He seemed to be very interested in my pint and Cumberland sausage and mash! We must have watched him for 20 minutes.

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

misposted

14. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Huh?

The only Rip that I knew was actually Andrew. The family always said that there was a story behind that but would never tell what it was.

There's a local well known "character" here known as Bevo. Having grown up with him I'm one of the few people that know that his real name is Steven/Steve. It was a mispronunciation by a child that stuck.

15. Tony474

I've read that a similar mispronunciation gave rise to the female name "Wendy". A young child known to J. M. Barrie couldn't yet say "friendly" and the word came out as "wendy", which became the child's nickname. Barrie later used the name for a character in "Peter Pan". As a back-formation it's also become an abbreviation for "Gwendoline", a name that doesn't seem to have been all that popular in recent years.

16. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

I know a lady whose full legal first name is Jan. We call her Janice for short.

-

I can understand other english-spanish counterpart similarities like:
    John = Juan
    Mary = Maria
    Peter = Pedro
    … but James = Santiago??

-

A mate of mine told me that Australians seem to give nicknames to nicknames, over and over until every name under the sun - given enough time, would eventually devolve into the name "gazza." For example: Philip > Phil > Philly > Phizzy > Ghizzie > Gazza. Deeply suspicious that my mate was pulling my leg, I checked the claim with a very good Australian friend of mine - to which he said, "yep, that's pretty much it." His name is Doug, but he get's often called Douggie, which just as easily can become > Diggy > Digzy > Ghizzie > Gazza.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that both my friends are just having me on about this. Every time I visit Oz, I've always wondered how many people would turn around to look at me if I yelled "Gazza" at the airport. I just don't have the nerve to test this claim in this way.

17. trev333

Which reminds me.. I haven't heard from my pensioner/muso mate Gazza in Brisso for a while.... He's got a US strat of mine on permanent loan..... he plays gigs all over Qld and subs for other bands... he could be anywhere on a sat night....

his name is Gary, though..... a proper gazza...;)

18. Tony474

Santiago = Saint James.

19. trev333

Bert... that could come from a few names....

I had an Uncle Bert.... I don't know what his full name was?...

Albert, Egbert, Herbert, Robert, Hubert, Norbert, Bertram, Burton.. even...

there must have been lots of Berts around over the years....

20. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

I had an Uncle Bert! Uncle Bert Humperdink.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.