How do you know if a youngster is a lefty or righty player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Jan 26, 2019.

1. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Throw a small ball at their face. What ever hand they catch it with is your answer.

If they miss the ball completely, buy them a bass.

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Not at all. They would catch it with the nearest hand, or drop it with either...

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'd catch it with my right, just to disprove your theory.

Shuster likes this.
  4. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

She knows what feels right. Just like a righty does. Trust her.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I remember the first time I tried to play guitar. It felt better strumming with my left hand too. It was when trying to form cords or fret notes that it soon became apparent that I was a right hand player. Not immediately though. Everything felt clumsy and like a struggle in the beginning.

6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, when you find out, if she turns out to be a lefty I'll give her, her first electric guitar,,, you pay the shipping;)

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I have played with a few Lefties over the decades.
    Most of them went Right handed because there simply isn't the supply and diversity of left handed instruments like there is for us Right handed folk.

8. Shuster

Doyle Bramhall III toured with Clapton in 06 or 07. He actually plays a left handed guitar. By that I mean the body is made for a lefty. But he also strings it upside down Looked really strange.

9. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

I came into this world a true blue lefty.
    I'll leave this world the same.
    My parents let me try a rental right handed guitar for a month and I kept saying this is wrong,this is wrong.
    They were smart enough to realize that their kid was a through and through lefty.
    They bought me a left handed Kent electric and it's been over 50 years and I've never looked back.
    Let your daughter decide.
    There are plenty of lefty guitars to choose from.

beagle, notmyusualuserid and Shuster like this.
  11. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

My 2 cents: Young kids tend to utilize their dominant hands for everything they can. It takes a little more development time to meld the coordination between both hands. So, I would consider it a natural tendency to both catch and throw a ball with dominant hands until they get to the point of establishing coordination.

Many, many years ago I had a beater classical guitar that I strung left handed and attempted to play left handed. I play right handed, btw, but can do a lot of things ambidextrously. After a few days of trying to play left handed I noticed a lot of improvement once I switched back to right handed playing. Probably kinda of similar to starting a painting and then finishing it by turning it upside down. It can be helpful to find another approach if not for the only reason to verify that the approach that you are taking is the best approach.

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Brilliant!

13. Shuster

That's backwards;)

14. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Any lefty with any brains would do well to disregard these words of “wisdom”.

Lef T likes this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

This is simple, just let them show you how they pick it up and want to play it ! Don’t try to force anything. I’m left handed, but I play right handed, that is just how I chose to play. It was natural, sometimes we need to remember that we have two hands that work in a complimentary way, what seems natural for most people is to use their dominant hand for picking, but for some of us it’s to use the dominant hand for the more difficult job of fretting notes and chords

beagle likes this.
  16. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I have seen video of this. It is like Joe has 2 brains. :)

Dan

24 track likes this.
  17. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Exactly my point. Both hands need to work equally and independently.

To each his own, of course.

Dan

18. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

Yeah this discussion comes up regularly. If playing lefty seems more natural to your daughter, then that’s how she should play. I am lefty in all things like sports, writing, shooting guns and guitar playing. I started when I was 15 and tried to play right handed because thats how everyone played but it felt awkward. My friend suggested flipping the guitar over and even though the strings were reversed it felt natural. After that I bought right handed guitars and strung them lefty like Hendrix. That was 1967 when there were virtually no lefty guitars available. No excuse now. The choice is simple. If she feels more comfortable playing lefty, she may be somewhat limited in acquiring lefty instruments. But if she plays righty she may not progress and may even quit. Get a cheap lefty at guitar center and give her a choice.

19. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I started out playing my Fender Mustang lefty, as I am totally left-handed, but my guitar teacher back in the day made me switch. I woulda been a better player had I stayed playing lefty, but definitely would NOT be a pedal steel player, as they are scarcer than a woman without a black eye at a NASCAR race. 36 years of playing steel & I've only seen 2.

FWIW, Jimi was right handed but played lefty. Ringo was lefty but played righty.

Lef T likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

At the store where I worked, we would always encourage beginners to learn to play right handed, even if they were left handed, unless it just felt too wrong to them, for the simple reason that there's so many more right handed choices in guitars available for purchase, as well as learning materials and lessons. We were one of the only shops in Hawaii that stocked any lefty guitars at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.