How do you judge just a neck or just a body?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 4514, Apr 12, 2012.

1. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

Hey there,

Whenever I think about putting together a partscaster I always hesitate because of the variation between individual guitar necks and guitar bodies. It seems like a big risk, because you have no idea what they'll sound like when you get everything put together. I can narrow it down to wood type, routs, weight, and finish, but beyond that is there a way to spot a dead piece of wood versus something that would resonate well?

How do you shop for just necks and just bodies?

-Jim

2. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

By chance! At least on my budget. And I've yet to come by a neck/body combo that I couldn't hammer together to a decent guitar. With determination and some knowledge of tools and a healthy portion of TIME, it all comes together.

Heck, my main playing tele is a result of spare time and a variety of parts originally archived as junk. It's probably worth $200 in parts, but plays like $1000000 to me. Then again, it took some hours....

3. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

If the body is the type of wood you like finish wise, and the holes are all in the right spot for what you want to do with it, then it will have as good of tone as the rest of your parts.

Tone is a combination of a lot of things and I would never choose a wood type for a solid body guitar because it supposedly has better tonal qualities. I expect wood to hold a screw and take kindly to reshaping.

A good part of logo loyalty/snobbery is you know what to expect within reason if you buy name branded bodies or necks. You take a risk buying something not name brand but you save a bunch of money and assume it may be less interchangeable and probably some other tradeoffs.

4. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

My only concern would be "is it broken?"... which can be fixed in most cases...
    Wood can be added to or taken away from. Holes can be plugged or drilled. As someone is fond of saying on here...tone is in the underpants.. As far as necks, I only insist on straight. Most everything can be fixed on a neck too except in severe cases of twist.
    My suggestion...gather yer parts and put yer guitar together!!!!

5. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Knock on it! Just like a door, and listen to the tone. Do this to some known good guitars, some known bad ones, you will figure out the difference between them REAL quick.

Then you can body shop and neck shop knowing that what you're getting will work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.