How do you interpret songs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fred4321, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

English

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Some people are satisfied with a box of 3 crayons, some like a bigger box. I was sitting in a gig with a band once doing Lodi. They left out the minor chord. I mentioned it and they said they never played it. I said I was going to play it.

Yours is one of the most bizarre statements I have ever heard a musician make. (If you were being sarcastic, never mind.)

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been to lodi. It only has the one and the five. The fancy boys from the hills above oakland spruced it up...

(I was making fun, but I did play with a band leader who insisted that all songs were 2 or 3 chords and 'goofin off' and he was very popular and well loved and a great singer... but convinced of that.)

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Maybe a great singer, maybe well loved, not a band leader.

5. getbent

oh he was a pretty good bandleader... we had gigs all over the greater LA area... at the best places.. opened for Lone Justice, Dwight etc...

NOBODY ever came up and said, 'hey man, four strong winds has a minor chord'

they drank, they danced, they had fun... I just shrugged and kept my super reverb goin...

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I cannot sing very well. can't hold the right pitch.

so I think of singers who also "couldn't sing": leonard cohen, lou reed, patti smith, johnny rotten, mick jagger, ozzy Osbourne, jimi hendrix and etc, I try to find a way to make things work. but I only would sing a song or two, nobody wants to listen to that sort of thing all night.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Depends.. Queen or Steely Dan with iconic solos will get respectfully accurate renditions of key sections.

Most other covers we play are adapted to the energy of the audience. Signature licks as kicking off points. Not had any complaints and if the audience is all dancing, singing along and screaming more, the job’s done.

Even the artist very rarely cloned a recorded version of their own tune live unless lipsynching.

Own it respectfully but don’t be held to a reproduction of one recorded version.

A band trying to be note perfect to a record does nothing for me and and does not impress, even if technically hard material because I want to hear humans making music, I want to be surprised, engaged with their interpretation, not hear a job a machine can do. Get a DJ in if you want the records.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:04 AM
  8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Ozzy could sing. Maybe not like Dio, but he could sing.

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Music, IMO, is a creative art. Why would I want to repeat a song exactly the way it has already been done. I am not a robot or a juke box. If you want to hear a recorded version stay home and listen to it. Why would someone spend money to go out and get excited about hearing all the songs exactly the way they sounded in the Pinto on the 8 track tape on the way over to the bar. To me that's unfathomably weird and unimaginative. Dylan won't even do that with his own very famous songs. If that's what tickles you then stay home.....turn on the radio....play your records....do exactly what mommy and daddy tell you to do....and then go to bed. Goodnight!!

Okay, here's my usual rant on the matter. What if a friend told you they know someone who is an amazing artist. So you go over to their house to have a look. You're excited. You enjoy painting and visual arts. Your friend leads you to the artists room where his paintings are displayed. Your friend exclaims "Aren't these amazing paintings!" You look around and see that he has reproduced Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Picasso, Monet and Dali stroke for stroke. What would your reaction be? I'd be very disappointed myself. For most of us it would not be what we'd be expecting to see....especially if your friend had described his buddy as an 'artist'.

So maybe that's the thing...some people are artists....some are painters.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:26 AM
    staxman and DekeDog like this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I think covering a song exactly, or as close to the original as possible, is a great skill. I imagine that is the essential skill of the classical guitarist in many respects. One of the things about performing a piece of music as close to the original as possible is that you really have to focus on precision. I try to find that focus when I'm practicing and learning a song. The funny thing, though, is that I find that most guitarists who created a solo or a riff, more often than not, do not play it exactly as it was recorded. In fact, I was watching the guitarist for the MC5 talking about his guitar solo in a song and he couldn't even remember how he played it on the recording! He was saying things like, "it was something like that, I don't remember it exactly." I see guitarists all the time who can't play their own song exactly the way they originally played it.

So that has lead me to see two types of playing: classical performance emphasizing precision and improv performance. When I'm focused on exactitude in reproducing a song, it forces me to block out my own thoughts and all externalities to ensure I hit the right note. That's not easy for me to sustain, unless I've played a song repeatedly in that manner. When I'm improvising, I have to focus on listening to myself and finding musical pathways that please my own ear. They are two different playing skills. The question is how do you want to play a song and what kind of audience are you playing for. No audience expects improv at a Beethoven symphony and very few audiences expect a singer to get the lyrics to "Louie Louie" right, particularly when the original singer was flubbing his way through the lyric.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:30 AM
  11. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Don't forget to practice spinning around with abandon. I'm man enough to admit "Silver Springs" can make me cry.

getbent likes this.
  12. getbent

they shall call me 'the dervish'

staxman likes this.
  13. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

In that particular example, I don't know. If they were really good fakes, there might be a money making opportunity there.;)

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  14. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Lone Justice - damn. Please tell me Maria McGee actually spoke to you :twisted:

15. getbent

I don't remember. It wasn't like they were famous and we were the 'real country' band vs. cowpunk... it was kind of a weird period where people who started in punk or new wave were giving up on it and going toward roots music, country... and so, they kind of hated regular country music, but were playing it to a degree... there was a gulf...

If you went to the palomino, you would see some of the cowpunk bands or jimmy snyder, but it didn't seem like the old guard could make sense of it... kind of like the clash of urban cowboy (and melding of eagles country rock) into cowpunk which were just different 'sensibilities'.... some of that era became 'the new traditionalists' like Dwight who minimized his punk side and found a way to make real country music AND get on the radio. The other bands just didn't have the songs or the approach that would have made them more popular.

I think so much of that stuff is 'which side' you ended up on. Some of those bands headlined but were not tight and I did not 'get' them... but I know that peopled loved them... we just thought of them as bands that we viewed as 'playing at' a form that we loved...

I definitely think that was the wrong point of view... but, I am trying to remember the context back then... I was also 20 years younger than the other guys in the band too... they HATED the cowpunk thing... and I wanted to be in Hag's band, so, I was pretty influenced by that....

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Neither/both. Who cares. Do what you want.

getbent likes this.
  17. AngelStrummer

I see what you mean... I only ask because I had - and possibly still have - the hots for Ms McKee. Oh brother :cry: (where art thou)...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:11 PM
  18. getbent

I swear, when I get the time machine operational, you can come back and ride to the gig with me... it will all go WAAAYYY different than it did back then.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Both are right. If you're going to play it like the original version, do it right... If you are going to do a rendition, make it tasteful...

20. AngelStrummer

:D I have a spare flux capacitor, if that helps?

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.