How do you hold your neck to spray it?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Steve Holt, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Hey all,

I've found lately that I really do a lot better with clearcoat if I hold the piece that I'm spraying. That way I can move it around in the light and check to see if there are any spots that need more coverage.

I don't like hanging a neck up to spray it. So I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to hold the neck, maybe rigging something up to screw into the neck pocket holes so that you can hold it and spray it.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yeah, you can rig a handle. But I prefer to lay it flat somewhere where I can walk around it to see the gloss like you mention.. with good light like daylight. I do the face of the headstock separately.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  3. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

For the 3 that I have done I mounted a handle with 2 small screws. Then I have a piece of PVC in the jaws of an old bike work stand and the handle goes through that. I spray horizontally but can spin it around. Has worked well. I have also done a final coat just by holding the handle and know what you mean that it's nice to be able to hold it that way.

For the one I am about to do I have made a dowel to go in the truss rod hole so I don't have to drill holes in the neck.

4. Steve Holt

Yeah don't talk to me about laying things flat :lol:. Last night I thought I'd get some clear going on the body. I did a coat and then realized I never taped up the neck pocket again. I checked the front and it was dry, so I laid out a newspaper and laid the body down. Taped up the neck pocket and the newspaper was stuck to the back. I realized I never checked the back to see if it was dry and I'd put a thicker coat on the back :cry:

20191205_204147.jpg

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of the legend of Achilles. He was invulnerable except at the spot where his mother was holding him by the heel when she dipped him into the River Styx so that spot didn't get dipped.

Achilles' father was Peleus, king of the Myrmidons, and his mother was Thetis, a sea nymph. After Achilles was born, his mother wanted to protect him from harm.
    She held him by the heel and dipped him into the river Styx. In Greek Mythology, the river Styx was located in the Underworld and had special powers.

Steve Holt likes this.
  6. Steve Holt

That's very similar to my neck. The finish will be flawless except for the points where my fingerprints Marr the finish because I insist on holding it! (and any other place where I may have a flaw)

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ouch.. that's too bad. Nice effect maybe? Do it all over? :>)
    But definitely don't lay it on paper, or anything before it's totally hard really. Is that a rattle can? I tried auto rattle can once and it never stopped doing that. Gave up on the project entirely. I guess it wasn't meant to go on wood.

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Put it on its back, spray the head. Turn it over and put the fretboard on two blocks, spray the back.

IMG_4750.JPG

9. Steve Holt

No that was with an HVLP system. Just dumb me not giving it enough time to dry. I sanded it back down and I'll try again.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

20191206_172305.jpg
    A piece of 1" PVC heated and flattened on the end. Use a neck plate as a pattern to drill the holes.
    Note the 6/32 screws for attaching to necks, 10/32s for attacking to bodies.
    Any number of broomsticks can be rigged for different holding positions.
    This is NOT my invention. I saw it here on TDPRI, but can't remember who to credit.

11. Steve Holt

I rigged this up this morning. Not my favorite because it still covers too much of the neck heel. But I already had that part pretty well covered, so I went with it. There's about a 1 inch gap between the holder and the neck.

I used the neck plate as a template to drill holes and I drilled them too small so the screws would really be tight in the holder. I used the same screws that I'll use when I attach the neck. I was a little worried about them not going in straight and messing up the neck holes. But it seems to be fine. And I didn't go very deep since it's not a lot of weight to support. 20191207_105547.jpg 20191207_111247.jpg

12. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For years I have just used a paddle I attach to the heal using the holes. Then I hang them from one of the bungee style cords I have hanging from and overhead horizontal bar have in my spraying area. The reason I use bungee cords is then I can rotate and lift the neck at will. I might have a couple items there at one time getting clear on them before moving them over to hang in other random cords I have hanging to dry.

I do have some washers attached to the paddles I screw to the neck so the finish doesn't glue the neck to them.

Eric

Steve Holt likes this.
  13. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Tele-Meister

Eh, I just used a hanger in the top tuner hole. It worked great for me with hanging it to dry.
    10 coats, and all went as planned.

bumnote and Tezuka27 like this.
  14. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

I just make a hook out of a coat hanger and run it through the top tuner hole. Works perfectly for me.

jb

bumnote likes this.
  15. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

For the two I've done, I used a wire coat hanger too.
    Strung some picture hanging wire from the balcony ceiling, hooked one end of the hanger in it and sprayed. I can spin it around from the bend of the top hooked thru hanging wire, or grab a small bit of the bottom depending on what angle I'm trying to do. Then I just take the hanger off the wire and hang inside in the laundry room with two small space heaters blowing on it to dry and keep humidity away. It's worked well, no fingerprints, no discoloring from humidity and a smooth even application.

16. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Here’s the one I just got done making. It will be held in a bike work stand and I can spin it around. I like to spray them horizontal.

CACD6D32-F148-4630-8091-4F348FDC6B3A.jpeg 29229DEF-FB40-4D8F-A6F9-C3A04D146C5D.jpeg 1BFBFE59-135B-4BFB-AD82-C2407FB07334.jpeg EA2AD21A-B816-4FC5-BD79-57ACF0F46B8B.jpeg

wadeeinkauf and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.