How do you have your RI WRHBs set up?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Telecaster88, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I recently bought a 2006 Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline, with the reissue "WRHB"s. Unlike many, I actually like the sound of the pickups.

Since purchasing it, I've kept the pickups where the previous owner left them. Then last week I noticed a few of the pickup height adjustment screws were so loose they were spinning. I pulled out my screwdriver and tightened them, bringing the pickups up, and lost that sound I was enjoying previously. I have it dialed in a bit more to where I like it, but need to keep tweaking a little.

I thought I'd start this thread to see how you guys have your RI WRHBs set... height, tilt... Etc.

Not really interested in hearing people tell me to pull the stock pups and replace them with boutiques... And I know that these are not "real" WRHBs... I'm more interested in hearing how players have gotten the most from the stock RIs.

Please also let us know if your RIs are the originals (pre-2012) or the "revoiced" models.

Thanks!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. Telecaster88

Thanks for the reply @uriah1... I've read all the threads here I could find... I'm not much of a modder, so more curious about how folks have simply adjusted the stock pickups physically to get the "best" sound, ie height, tilt etc...

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, look at the underbelly adjustment. Not really a mod.
    If you want to stick to height adjustments the bass side
    can get wonky if you get it too close. IMHO

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Telecaster88

Gonna bump this for the night crowd, just in case... Any tips?

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Make sure you have 1m pots. That makes the biggest difference.

In general, I find WRHBs to have a really forgiving magnetic field. I tend to like the neck pickup lower, tilted aggressively bass side down, and to raise the pole pieces up, starting with a Strat stagger and adjusting from there. To my ear this gives more clarity and sparkle. I like the bridge pickup to balance volume wise with the neck pickup, but I drop the screws a little closer to flush (still starting with Strat stagger and tweaking from there). To my ear this gives a little more thickness and a little less ice-pick in the bridge.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i think the reissue bridge pickup excels at being what it is... a dark, muddy humbucker in disguise. but for chunky rock tones... i think it's perfect! i keep all the poles pretty well flush with the cover and raise it to suit

the neck pickup, however, is darker than i care for. pulling the covered poles from the pickup did wonders in opening up the sound... clearer, more focused, and convincingly single coil like. surprisingly not a decrease in volume either

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. Telecaster88

Thanks everyone! This is what I was curious about... How people have them set to get the most out of them.

I am generally pretty happy with them, very Fendery, single-coily, but with a bit more girth. The one thing I'm noticing is a lack of bass response from the neck pickup. At first I didn't mind, I was enjoying the kind of smooth, almost jazz tones I got, which still included a nice bite in the treble. If I need a classic Tele tone, I've got my old Tele. But I'd like to see if I can get a more balanced tone going.

I'll try these tweaks and see what works for me. Thank you!

9. Telecaster88

@MilwMark When you say you tilt the neck pickup aggressively bass side down, do you mean tilt both the two screws underneath the low E string? Or the two screws closest to the neck (under low e and high e)? Thanks!

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t know what you mean, sorry. I slant the neck pickup so the bass side is lower than the treble side. And I tilt it to follow the path of the strings from saddles to nut.

11. Telecaster88

Got it, thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.