1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you handle the impossible?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by aerhed, Jul 3, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny how "conspiracy" and "theory," two real words with real meanings, when joined together become completely meaningless. ;)

AAT65 likes this.
  2. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Thesis --> Antithesis--> Synthesis

It's the only game in town.

Flakey likes this.
  3. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

I avoid this kind of people like the plague, and if one of my friend start saying this kind of BS, out of my life he/she goes, which happened recently to a “good friend” of mine. Simple as that.

As for the relatives, since I can’t really get them out of my life, I keep my distance as much as possible.

Otherwise, something you can ask that usually annoys them is: What is your source? You’ll see that it’s usually a source far from being trustworthy. Internet and/or some kind of ****/fascist/religious freak are 2 common quoted “sources”.
    Anyhow, the result is still the same: Out of my life.
    The world is vast, you’ll find other people, other friends.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I think George Carlin was assuming a normal distribution with that joke...

kplamann likes this.
  5. SolidSteak

Sorry for being pedantic, but facts don't usually have the word "should" in them. I'm sure you already knew that, but many people don't, and it can lead to bad reasoning. Like this: it is a fact that I should correct other people's opinions. (Not a fact, obviously.)

6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Duh. A five year seeding program just concluded outside my window and I've read the results. No HAARPs or chemtrails required. I've had people show me pictures of static dischargers as ironclad proof of chemtrails rigs.

7. SolidSteak

If it's somebody I really like, I will put up with it, maybe even try to discuss it civilly.
    If it's more of an acquaintance or someone I HAVE to deal with, I just try to minimize my time with them and not bring it up.

I've met some really smart scientists who spin off into crazy sounding conspiracy theories, but they go back to work the next day and are great at what they do. I've also met armchair scientist "philosophers" who have some crazy, original, outside-the-box ideas, but they are also willing to be challenged on their logic and reasoning.

To filter out the BS efficiently, I kind of deal with it like I would a telemarketer - if I start recognizing the script, (i.e. black helicopters, chemtrails, divining, etc.) I just hang up the phone (i.e. smile and nod.) There are probably some scripts I have internalized without even knowing it.

8. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have found that no amount of reasoning or rational thought will ever change someone's mind when they're convinced they're right - about anything. I have only been given x amount of days on this rock. I choose not to waste any of my time being frustrated by what appears to me to be mentally ill people.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

There seems to be a trend to assume that any criticism of choices and actions that involve science and technology are a derision of science itself.

There also seems to be a trend to view "science" as some sort of supreme power that sees all and can explain all.

AFAIK science is just an employee of society.

What I and may deride is what society directs those science employees to DO.

I would also deride the opinion that if something cannot (currently) be measured, quantified and explained by scientists, then it cannot possibly exist.
    I propose that this widely held opinion is not very scientific!

There was asbestos, opium and uranium before sci tech employees refined them and created products that put those harmful substances into closer proximity to humans.
    Or in some cases refined them in more specific ways without investigating the potential harms as thoroughly as the potential profits.
    Or worse still, knew the potential harms and conspired to cover up the negative side in order to convince the public to consume.

So we are in agreement that the actions of scientists, or more specifically the actions of their employers, should be regularly challenged, to ensure that profitable conclusions are not used to subvert ethical conclusions.

Here again, we know that the sci tech industry conspires to convince the public that we need, should buy, and should feel safe using; thousands of products that we don't need, we shouldn't buy, and often we were not safe using after all.

So when we point the finger at crazy conspiracy theories, while holding science up as the tool to prove the crazy theories wrong, lets not forget that science tech is behind more conspiracies than any other single entity.

But so many are cowed by the well funded advertising campaigns and legal teams behind sci tech, that we as a society often choose to label watchdog groups as crazy conspiracy theorists when they attempt to inform the public we've been sold a bill of goods by industry.

M******o makes billions and legally destroys farm families that won't buy into their scams.
    Tree huggers are ridiculed and even hated for impeding "progress".

Is there a big conspiracy there?
    How do we apply science to decide for ourselves when the associated collective scientists' word is controlled by lawyers?

blowtorch likes this.
  10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What's this we? You got a toad in your pocket?

Just kidding. I always loved that comeback when people try to include me in their perceived reality...:)

11. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

When I meet some of those people I generally let them speak a little and then I ask them :
    "Can you explain to me why water is wet?"
    ...and that's when they start looking at me kind of very strange...
    I then proceed with my second question (...which as never been seriously answered yet by any of them...) :
    "Is gravity an attraction or a confinement?"
    ...aaand that's generally when they decide to stay off my lawn...!

Jakedog and JustABluesGuy like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait - is that different than "is that a toad in your pocket or are you just glad to see me " ?

Jakedog and william tele like this.
  13. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Yeah, or any symmetric distribution for that matter. I was about to add that and then considered my original post was pedantic enough ... :)

Seasicksailor likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Humor is often lost on these forums and in a "serious/academic/scientific purse-swinging" discussion like this one, the spectrum-y people come forward and wield their "Well actually's..." authoritatively.

C'mon - they've earned it !

It's their bailiwick.

Hell, half of Palo Alto will never look you in the eye, but don't take it personally...o_O

Bill and 6stringcowboy like this.
  15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I do the "frozen smile" thing and remind myself, "everybody is entitled to an opinion, but not to their own facts"

then I just mention a fact or question. if argument ensues, I shrug, indulge them for a bit, and eventually change the topic

changing minds takes time, and most people have not been reasoned into the positions they have. so trying to reason them out of them results in more heat than light.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I sort of nod and say, "Hmmmmm..."
    I believe in elemental beings and homeopathy, so I'm on the spectrum, so to speak ;)

telemnemonics and 6stringcowboy like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you only believe in a leetle homeopathy, it's much more potent.

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I just realize it's not my job to convince or try to explain to other people how things work. I don't have the need for everyone else to feel or believe exactly as I do. I believe or understand as I do and that is my belief and understanding. Some things I believe are backed by science. Other things I believe are backed by faith. But I never feel the need to push my beliefs on others. I really get nothing out of that.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One of my mentors once told me, If you can convince somebody of something, it's not true.
    Everything else like this that he said, sooner or later, made sense to me; but I never fully wrapped my head around that one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.