How do you feel new US made telecasters compare to pre 2000 ones?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Alter, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Interesting, I never heard of a Big Apple Tele, only Big Apple Strats.

My understanding is that the US Fat Tele was introduced in 1998 (replacing the California Fat Tele) and was discontinued in 2003 (replaced by American Series Tele HS). I saw a reference that it was called Hot Rodded American Fat Tele between 2001-2003.

I have zero inside info on this, just what I saw on interwebs plus this parts/service diagram from Fender that matched my guitar perfectly.

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

Like I said, I was just curious. Although I would love to get my hands on a Big Apple Strat some day.

3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

Just sayin' my Broadcaster played straight out of the box like hot butter. Just perfect. Haven't needed to do anything other than change strings once they went bad two weeks ago.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I prefer them from that era.

Alter likes this.
  5. Dalan

Dalan TDPRI Member

My preference is a Tele under 7lbs. 9.25 radius. Look for an instrument that resonates unplugged. The shape of the neck is whatever feels right to the individual. If the feel and playability is on the money but pickups suck, high quality replacements are readily available. (Lollar, Fralin, Duncan twisted Tele).

VillainSean and Alter like this.
  6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

They are better now. Heck, the current MIMs give those era MIAs a run for their money.

7. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

Agree 100%.

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if it's going to be 80s or 90s, i'd rather go with MIJ. i think the new MIAs and MIMs are much better than those years.

i don't like modern bridges, modern tuners, and some of those necks in the 90s were just pencil thin and uncomfortable.

i do like headstock truss adjustment. i also do like poly finishes on necks, so i can live with the body being poly on lower end models. also i really like the satin necks that fender has been doing the past 20 years - generally not too satin, more semi gloss, which i find most comfortable. and i like that a lot of the americans have slightly rolled edges from the factory (i'm not sure if this existed yet in the 90s?).

Alter likes this.
  9. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I have a '95 and I can tell you they got a lot better about '98 or '99. Mine has his huge thick finish on the neck and the body edge is routed too small like a crappy '70's copy. They do keep getting better.

oldfish likes this.
  10. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Where exactly do you find these declining sales numbers? I have never been able to find exact Fender guitar sales numbers. I’ve recently heard the Fender is having record high sales numbers, (due to the pandemic possibly), but I’ve never been able to find the actual numbers of guitars sold.

11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Fender and many others have had record numbers in 2020, that is correct.

I would bet with companies like Fender their sales have little to do with prices being higher or lower by a few hundred bucks but more by cultural trends. Any time Fender is up it's going to be a year guitar sales are up, anytime they are down it's a year guitar sales are down. People are going to buy Fenders no matter what an internet forum says.

swany likes this.
  12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I don't know. But then I'm not making a claim that Fender guitars are over priced or otherwise.

13. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

No difference; I usually start with the neck.

14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I owned an 88 Am. Std. Strat and a 90 Am. Std Tele. Both were Alder and rosewood board guitars and very good. I would say the late 80s and early 90s ones were comparable to today's Am. Teles and Strats. In 1999 I bought a brand new swamp ash with one piece maple neck Am. Std. Strat that I still have and it is an exceptional guitar see pic below. I have bought 3 American Teles between 2019-20 and they are all great. As a previous poster said, some of them are boat anchors with multi piece bodies, so you need to go through several at the store. All 3 of mine are between 6 3/4 to a hair over 7 pounds.The first 2 are 2020 American Professional Teles Alder with maple fretboard and swamp ash with rosewood fingerboard. The next one is an American Performer, alder with maple board. The last one is the 99 Strat mentioned above. It does have a skinny neck comparatively, but it is light and really sings. I would say if you look around a bit and are selective, you can find good to great American Teles and Strats from the late 80s all the way up to 2020. Not too crazy about the 2021 pine bodied ones. Pine is too soft and dents easily.

2 Teles.jpg
    SB Tele HB.jpg
    99Strat.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Alter likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I somehow have better luck than everyone else here, because I've owned a lot of Am Std Strats, from when they were introduced in '86 to some just before the Am Pro replaced them, and my Pro and Performer are better than any of them.

Alter likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm shocked to learn that guitar players like older guitars, even ones they didn't like when they were new.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  17. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

I guess that is why one buy from builders like Nash & so forth, because they know that they are well built guitars

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. Sixstring3370

Sixstring3370 TDPRI Member

Don't like the newer ones. I have a 97 American that I really like. The neck is comfortable and is beginning to get a nice color. Did not care for the pickups. Replaced with a set of Muy Grande Rio Grand and I will keep this one.

19. merseysteve

merseysteve TDPRI Member

20. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I have 91 American Standard Tele that was may main guitar for a couple of decades. Obviously, I liked it a lot. I bought a 2020 American Performer (the one in my image photo). I rarely play the 1991 anymore.

The neck feels better, love the larger frets and those alnico IV pickups chirp and sing! Needless to say but I’d say they are making better guitars, at least based on my personal experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.