1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you feel new US made telecasters compare to pre 2000 ones?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Alter, Feb 8, 2021.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

And do you prefer the ones from yesteryear over the ones from, say, days of yore?

Personally I have a soft spot for the ones from olden times.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

First we had Pre-CBS, then CBS, and now, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the latest vintage wave: POST-CBS!

Better get in on the ground floor!

oldfish likes this.
  3. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

i work on guitars most days of the week and have noticed most of the fender guitars i work on are only a few years old hardly ever get any of the older fender standards in. i dont no what is going on at the fender factory but the wireing of the pots and switches seemed to of gone down hill over the last two years

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I've played tons of guitars over the years, but never a Fender that gave my '88 Am Std Tele a run the money. Only one that comes close is the '99 Am Std Strat I bought a few years ago. Maybe it's just cuz that's what I grew up playing. Not saying the newer models are bad or even inferior, but just that nothing blew me away. They are nice guitars but I'm perfectly content with the older Fenders I have.

Then again, I'm not one for lingering over specs. I play what's in my hands and make it work for me.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

There are good guitars from every era, and bad guitars from every era...the challenge is to find out which is which.

Greggorios and DaveGo like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

General, across-the-board Fender quality is better now than it has ever been, IMO and IME. And Gibson has turned their quality WAY around since booting Henry J. I'd much rather all my older Gibsons (except the '60s ones) were current production instead. Best time I've ever experienced to be buying guitars.

All that being said, there are good and bad guitars from every era...and bang for the buck is not necessarily better on U.S. made Fenders now, IMO. Outside of the Squier line, I find most of their models to be overpriced by about $200 to $300, both Mexican and U.S. made.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Blues Twanger and Jerry J like this.
  7. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

We have a winner!

Jerry J likes this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There were no US made Fender between 1984-1987 (appart from VERY few "vintage reissues" built in 1985-86).
    Last tele model produced in large scale in the US was the top loader "standard telecaster" frowned by many and loved by few....Tim Buckley used one of these so they do have some value..

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-a-1983-telecaster-isnt-collectable.856174/page-10#post-10380419

Jerry J likes this.
  9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

It is always an issue with necks, that Fenders out of Corona have, that I have gripes about. They are all over the place which leads me to believe that the necks are not fully dried in their drying kiln. Probably it boils down to them rushing the process, to keep up with production quotas. Every single time I get a replacement neck from Warmoth ( to remedy the issue ) it is consistently good.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Rub a little dirt and grime into the finish, tweak the nut slots and saddles during a setup, soften any sharp edges on the fretboard, and file away any burrs on the metal parts and the new guitars are just like the old guitars.

The breaking-in period of work boots, shoes, and jeans applies. Brand new any of those products are stiff and uncomfortable or give you blisters. Properly broken in they fit and feel great.

That's why the Relic guitar models are so popular. It's about the feel more than the appearance.

ratdoc and Greggorios like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Nah, it’s not that. It’s having to to completely recut or replace a nut straight out of the box, and do a complete fret level to get it to set up properly. A brand new guitar in that price range should not need a fret level to set up right. Personally I don’t think any new guitar in any price range should need that. But definitely not a $1500 MIA Fender. They didn’t used to.

oldfish likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the vintage ones are cool looking. And definitely have a lot of mojo. I think functionally I prefer the American standards I pointed out.

I see a lot of “non-vintage” features as big common sense improvements. Two of the biggest being the modern six saddle bridge and headstock truss rod adjustment. On strats, a two point trem and five way switching are a big improvement. As is the tone knob factory wired to the bridge pickup. I like modern tuners. I like the flatter radius and bigger frets. To me, all these things add up to a better workhorse. Not to mention, there’s a lot more consistency in the models I pointed out.

I used to deal vintage guitars, and I’ve played more of them than most people will ever get the opportunity to. For every one that was a truly exceptional example, there was one that was a complete dog. Truth is, most of them were someplace in between. It’s not like every vintage guitar is somehow magical and amazing because it’s from some golden era. With the ones I mentioned, you can line up fifty of them, and they’re all pretty much the same guitar. Some people would argue that means they lack personality. I would argue that when you’re trying to find multiple instruments that are consistent, personality is a pain in the butt.

The early ones have one distinct advantage, and that’s the nitro finish. I don’t think it sounds any better, and nobody will ever convince me it does. But it definitely feels a lot better. Especially once you start sweating. Other than that, I’ll take a ‘95 over a ‘55.

13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I like a mix of modern and vintage features. I hate poly and love 3-saddle bridges, love headstock truss-rod adjustment, love split-post tuners, bigger frets, and flatter radiuses . . . and hate strats, period.

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

hemingway likes this.
  15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

This isn't the first time I've seen someone make this claim. I always wonder how you or anyone who says this quantifies this statement. Especially when you fix a specific price making it an authoritive claim.
    I think the best way to prove this claim is to show the declining sales numbers since the prices were 2 or 3 hundred less.
    If their sales are the same or better since the last few price increases I would think they are indeed not over priced.

T Prior, ratdoc and Nick Fanis like this.
  16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Wouldn't that have been a Big Apple instead of a Fat Tele? Just curious, because the the Big Apple did not change until 2003. Maybe I'm wrong.

17. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Something is probably wrong because my Broadcaster came with the switch in backwards. Not that it's a problem because everything still works.

18. Bruce Pettengill

Bruce Pettengill TDPRI Member

I’ve never bought a new guitar. Ever. Buying used it’s already broken in. That way you know what it’s gonna sound like 2 or 3 or 20 years down the road. Think the oldest tele I own is a ‘95 MIM that has the sweetest twang you can imagine. I bought an ‘06 and it sounds just as Fender as a tele gets. Don’t think I’ve tested one newer than a 2014 but we couldn’t get right on the price. Seems a shallower/thinner neck than the ones I own but still a right fetching guitar. I just thought $950 was a bit much and he thought $775 was a bit light. Still......

Alter likes this.
  19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I agree with all of your assertions, however I would argue for a hardtail Strat over a Trem any day of the week, though I know they are much more rare. Although that could be because I have never played a guitar with a Trem or Bigsby that I actually liked. Including Jazzmaster and Mustang originals and re-issues. Yes I have been lucky enough to encounter a startling few originals, I also have encountered the slightly more common reissues. Still not a fan of things with Trems or Bigsbys.

5haun likes this.
  20. aftermidnight

aftermidnight TDPRI Member

At least regarding vintage reissues, the pure vintage series (2012-2017, now discontinued) has been fantastic and, in my view, better than the previous one.

Alter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.