How Do You Feel About Signature Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 9, 2019.

How do you feel about Signature Telecasters?

1. Like them.

61 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Don't care for them.

78 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

I had my doubts about them until I tried the Joe Strummer model a very nice playing guitar my only problem with Mexican Tele's is the polyester finish if Fender would just use Urethane and a wax blend they would sell a ton more than they do now. I'm ok with special signature models. I would like a Jimmy Page dragon model but I'm not gonna shell out $2500 for a Tele.

2. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I'm kind of polarized with signature guitars. If the guitar is pretty subdued and looks like your average Tele, but has certain specs or features that may be appealing to me I may consider one, but overall I'm not into them. As an example, the Jim Campilongo Tele is pretty unassuming, but has that really deep, disked out section behind the nut which is a cool feature for doing behind the nut bends, otherwise it looks like any off the rack tele. On the flip side I think it's kind of cheesy if someone is onstage with a copy of an iconic guitar that is 100% unique to a famous player, like the Jimmy Page Dragon Tele to use as an example. I'm all for playing what you like, but I think it's pretty hard to pull off playing something like that live, unless you're a true bad@$s and can back it up. A lot of signature guitars are guitars that were created, modded and personalized by the original player to make it their own and create their own signature look and sound, so why would you just want to copy that instead of attempting to make your own sound?

I'd take the Jimmy Page Mirror Tele over the Dragon Tele for reasons stated above.

They should also ditch the signatures on the headstock. Thats another turn-off for me on signature models, even if it's behind the headstock. Do something like put their signature of logo on the neckplate (which they do for some models) so if the person who bought the guitar doesn't want it they can simply swap out neck plates.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

All I care about is that it has the features and specs I want. Why would I want someone else's custom guitar? It's not made for me, it's made for them.

TwangerWannabe likes this.
  4. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

A Kurt Cobain Tele? I know he had a Jaguar and a Jagstang but a Tele?

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Had a Wilko Johnson, had a Joe Strummer. As much as I must have found them appealing at the time, I don't want another one. However, I have a J Mascis Jazzmaster Squier, which is even better now I've removed the signature and modded it a lot, feels like mine now, whereas the 2 Tele's didn't.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Courtney Love bought him one, and he carved a heart into it, but that's as much as I know.

7. janman

janman TDPRI Member

I have a Jerry Donahue Tele, but I didn't buy it because of his name. It played and sounded great. I'd have bought it even if it was a Mickey Mouse signature model. I have an MJT body with an excellent Joe Strummer neck.

8. hookakat1

hookakat1 TDPRI Member

I'm not a huge Clapton guy but if I was gonna get a 'money isn't a consideration' strat I would absolutely get one of his old signature ones with the Lace Sensors in it. Those are, easily, my favorite strats I've ever played.
    [​IMG]

9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I'm sure someone will correct me but...in MIM stratocaster land, the only way to get a chunky neck was to get a signature model. The Robert Cray, Jimmy Vaughn and Kenny Wayne Shepherd signature models all had great necks. Don't know if it's the same in the telecaster world. I would want the specs, the signature wouldn't really matter to me.

DanDII likes this.
  10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

… but if the features/specs on their guitar are exactly what you want, then BINGO!

11. hotwired

hotwired TDPRI Member

I would LOVE to have a Brent Mason model, if they even make such a thing. It's based on his frankenstein guitar where he put a humbucker on the bridge vs. the tele thinline, and also added a strat pickup to the middle so he cold have more versatility. Meanwhile, I'd probably ignore the signature and just worry about the tone, playability. I've always appreciated Brad's use of both the G and B bender, so I'd like to own one just for those tools, assuming they have them.

12. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I really like guitars. Signatures not so much. If anything the "signature" itself makes me less likely to buy a guitar. I really liked the Bonamassa Firebird I, but don't want the signature on the back of the headstock. They should do signaure guitars with design and name buy the artists, but no darn autograph on the guitar IMHO.

For example I have Jerry Donahues singnature Duncan pickup in my main tele. It does not say Jerry Donahue on it. It just is a Donahue model. And btw I have no big thing for Donahue, I know he's a country style guitarist, but that's about it. I really love his signature pickup though! Best tele bridgde PU I ever tried.

Mincer likes this.
  13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

NO, not at all. If I picked up a guitar and really liked it, and it happened to be a signature whatever, then I may buy it. But the signature part has nothing to do with it.

regarding PUPS though, that may be a different story, as the PUPS are supposedly designed with windings, tonality in mind. Some are spot on , many are not even close !.

I also purchased a Jerry Donahue Tele pup, it was advertised to knock down the hi end and still maintain some grit, which it does. Its now in the parts box, perhaps to be used again down the road. The problem with PUPS and specs is, they can sound totally different in different guitars, based on bodies, woods, necks, sustain etc. Its a crap shoot !

Signature guitars are being marketed to be like " XXX's" guitar. Of course, they are not. Just look at the PAISLEY model, no G Bender , which is what Brad is all about. They should have put a Glaser G Bender in the guitar and sold for a higher price, my guess is it would have sold more units. A guitar with a picture on it, for me, is a NO SALE.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The bow discontinuedBrent Mason PRS is awfully cool too. Two of their 408 humbucker with a single coil in the middle.

If one ever shows up Im buying

Sendt fra min SM-G960F med Tapatalk

AAT65 likes this.
  15. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Absolutely nothing against signature Teles. The Richie Kotzen model is high up on my GAS list for sure, and I wouldn't mind a Chris Shiflett P90 Tele either.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  16. eheiser

eheiser TDPRI Member

My search for the perfect strat was over when I bought a second hand Eric Johnson stratocaster, and I don't know a note of EJ's music. ;)
    I'm intrigued by the Brad Paisley tele's neck but I think it's a butt-ugly body on that guitar. What's up with them anyway? There isn't a single shop here in Belgium that has one in stock, are they that rare too stateside?

17. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I feel the same way about signature Telecasters as I feel about any signature guitar or bass: if it has specs that work for me, and if the color(s) it comes in is appealing, and if the artist in question is not a dirtbag or a **** or something, then I would be interested.

18. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

It would be pretty tough to find a Kurt Cobain Telecaster since he never played one!

His choice was a Fender Mustang or Jaguar and then Fender created a "Jagstang" (what a mess that thing was) "signature" model for him. However, as a "guitarist", he should have been playing a 2x4 with yarn for strings. https://equipboard.com/pros/kurt-cobain

19. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

The only "signature" guitar that's been produced by Fender that I didn't like (and I'm a HUGE James Burton fan) was James' black & gold Lace Sensor pickup Tele. For goodness sakes, it's a Strat disguised as a Tele!! If James wanted a Strat, why didn't he have Fender build a signature Strat?!?!?!?

20. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

If you're looking for an honest-to-goodness Brent Mason Fender Telecaster, look no further than Mark Moore of Marksound Guitars!!

171022_(3).jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.