How Do You Feel About Signature Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 9, 2019.

How do you feel about Signature Telecasters?

1. Like them.

61 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Don't care for them.

78 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

How about an option for it doesn't matter one way or the other... I have two teles at the moment, neither are signature models. Because there's no signature tele that has what I want, although if the Brad Paisley didn't have that sparkly silver finish I'd have given it a more serious look because the one I tried played really well. My strat IS a Robert Cray signature model, not because it's a signature model but because it's a hardtail with a great set of pickups and a pretty nice neck too. I really do like Robert Cray, but I wouldn't own one of his custom shop models because it's got a 12" fretboard and his MIM is 9.5, which for some reason makes a huge difference to me on a Fender neck. If I like a guitar enough to buy it, I won't be influenced by a signature and if I DON'T like a guitar enough to buy it I also won't be influenced by a signature. I don't have a problem with artists getting an endorsement, but I'm not gonna buy or not buy a guitar because of it.

Bruxist likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have no problem with people buying signature models just for the look and signature if it inspires them and they get enjoyment from owning and playing them.

I've only owned one signature guitar, a Angus Young sig sg that I bought used. It was a killer SG and looked cool, light weight one piece body, also had options that were only available on that model or second closest was a real 69 sg that costs a whole lot more and might not play that great. I sold it because it just wasn't getting played enough and I needed the cash.

What's not to like about more options in the guitar market?
    I would also hope that the artists hound the quality control to keep them on their toes too.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"The three that interest me the artists play almost exclusively or at least the majority of the time"

So, the Paul Stanley, the John Mayer, and the Esteban? :)
    (kidding)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

50/50 split vote (at the time of posting) - don't often see that!

5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Albert Lee uses his. Mike stern has two guitars, apparently - his dig model, and the prototype. And Clapton uses his. And I guess Brian May counts.

I mean, you’re right, but there are a few that do actually design, perfect and play their signature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hope someone comes out with a bound sig model tele with 2 p90's and a goldtop. I don't care who the artist is just want a guitar for a decent price with those options.
    Preferably in a light weight classic vibe on discount.:)

7. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I have to admit, I wasn't aware of a Kurt Cobain telecaster, but maybe you meant the Jag-Stang? Most signature guitars don't interest me, but I'd like to have a Dick Dale Strat (because of the finish and I love Dick Dale) or an Ed O'Brien Strat for the sustainer pickup. I'd even take a James Burton tele, if someone threw it to me.

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Pretty sure we can add Ed O'Brien to that list.

AAT65 and dlew919 like this.
  9. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Pretty much me. It would have to be one very charming guitar for me to buy it if it was a sig model though. Just smacks a little too much to me of coattail-riding and hero worship.

But that's just me. I don't judge anyone else. A lot of sig models are ace instruments. Nothing wrong with anyone playing anything that makes them happy.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. Muddslide

Good on ya. Wilko was one of a kind. Sorely missed. True British creative madman.

11. Muddslide

Youch.

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

And Johnny Marr.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I don't care about signatures

When I was looking for my first tele, the only Tele with a neck humbucker was the Albert Collins Signature... But I didn't liked natural and binding
    [​IMG]

Fortunately Fender relased the Fat Tele that year (1998) and testing one beside the other, the plain and humble Fat tele won the Signature custom shop guitar

Now, I own my own Signature Tele, "La Milana Bonita"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

Ditto

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a first year '89/'90, James Burton model- very nice but a bit heavy. I just tested out a new Jimmy Page model the other day at GC- same thing, nice neck- liked the pickups, but the weight was up around 8 1/2 lbs I think, so I didn't care for it as compared to my '52 AVRI or my '68 tele.
    IMG_0901.JPG

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi. Not sure what happened, I did not mean to reply to your post. Actually I did not do it. Must have been a glitch. BTW, lovely tele. The George Harrison is one of those guitars that have enough individuality and historical significance as to warrant a Signature model. Big fan of George’s guitar work, too!

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I'm fine with signature teles.
    where do you want me to sign your Tele? :lol:

18. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

how do I feel? love them

Attached Files:

stanger likes this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Albert and I love his guitar, but now way I was paying $5k for the honor, so I made my own out of a 50s Baja. Would do the same for other signature models as well if one got my interest.

3.jpg

Fiesta Red, gitarjoe and Bruxist like this.
  20. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I have a Campilongo Model 'C'.

I bought it because I am an unabashed fan, and want to learn as I can about his approach to the guitar. I wanted to take a variable out of the equation (ie, stop myself from imagining that there was something special in the sweep of his tone knob or whatever so that I could focus on my technique). There is no risk that I will sound like a clone of him. It is also my favourite guitar now by far, and the best T-style I have played.

I had a Zach Meyers PRS SE.

I had not heard of Mr. Meyers before finding this guitar. I would say that I dislike his style of music quite a lot. But it is an utterly outstanding guitar at an amazing price. It was perfect for jazz and blues, had a stellar neck, and I kinda wish I still had it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.