How Do You Feel About Signature Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 9, 2019.

How do you feel about Signature Telecasters?

1. Like them.

61 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Don't care for them.

78 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Well, I have an SRV strat that has been modified such that it does not look like Stevie's , but my partscaster tele is awfully close to an Andy Summers tribute, so I am obviously confused. ;)

I would like a Robert Cray strat and I wouldn't turn down a Jimmie Vaughan.

hookakat1 likes this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I kinda cringe at using a signature anything. If I see someone using an SRV Strat, I turn them off automatically, even if they're playing organ trio jazz. I can't help it.
    Now where is my flat brimmed hat with the conchos?

Clifton C likes this.
  3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I SURE wish I could add that option :)

Cheers!

P.S.
    Who do you think the greatest Tennis Player of all time is? :)

4. Capn Rory

Capn Rory Tele-Meister

I spent the afternoon watching golf and noodling on my G.E. Smith Fender telecaster.
    I just love that tele, and I own four others, none of which has quite that vibe. Count me in the camp that it is not the signature that is important, but the vibe of each INDIVIDUAL guitar.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You must be a big fan of that particular artist to want a signature guitar.

Signature guitars are difficult to sell used. Not only do you have to find a player who likes Fender, but they need to like Telecasters, AND THEN TOO be fans of the Signature Artist. That Venn diagram gets really small really quick. With limited demand you must drop the price far enough that even a Les Paul fan will say "I'll take that Tele, no idea who Paisley is, but at that price I can sand the headstock off and make a pickup tester out of it!"

I have a couple of signature guitars that I got because I liked the factory and the guitar model but since then I realize I don't really want to be associated with that signature artist. They just do not make the music I'm interested in. I like the guitars but they are kind of useless for me and I need to move them out to some die-hard fans. I have since learned to steer wide of any signature guitars.

The reason the factories make them is it gives 'something new this year' marketing story gimmick from the factory to the distributors+retailers and maybe gives the retailers something to talk about with potential customers "hey, did you meet my friend Paisley Tele?"

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

7. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I’m sorry, I didn’t get your post. It’s 2017 GH RW, AFAIK there are only 2 pieces in Finland. Could be more, of course.

Edit: this one was for FM

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Only sig model I own wasnt purchased because it was a sig. It was because it was a budget RI that i couldn't believe they made. And I could afford it! Dare I say a better pickup than the original manufacturer is putting in theirs?

9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Nope, not me, never gonna happen.

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Generally, meh.

The Wilko model interested me because it was affordable, and Wilko is Wilko. In terms of signature or 'inspired by' models, I approve of the Squier models. An affordable way to be a superfan :)

Now, if Squier or Fender MIM released a Mick Green 'Xavier' replica, that'd be a different matter.

11. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t buy a guitar because it was a 'x' signature, but I have a Tim Armstrong acoustic which I thought played well and felt nice. It would be the same if I bought a Clapton strat. It wouldn’t be because I love Clapton (though I do) but because it suited me as a guitar. (In fact I’d probably get the cheeper buddy guy model which I understand has the same electrics)

I can’t see myself getting a reliced one, but if the guitar talks to you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Ignoring the price, which currently is too much, I'd love one of those blonde mirror Coruna made JP's.

Looks like a great '59 reissue.

[​IMG]

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Got Jimmy Vaughn strat cause it had tex mex pups. Traded an EPI SG..when the guy on CL responded with the trade..i think we were in Baltimore in record speed. I was like where are you?..i will be there..like Now !

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, a lot of people won't go near them because they're afraid what other guitar players will think.

I don't care for the concept and wouldn't buy one brand new.

But as others have said - some have interesting specs and are well made, fun to play guitars.

And that's how I ended up with a James Burton std. Bought it used for same price as any other MIM. Like the U neck, the pickups, etc.

It's as indestructible as any other telecaster.

James Burton was never on my radar, but that never bothered him.

Clifton C and dannyh like this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I have no interest in them.

Partly because I have no interest in buying another guitar (at the moment).

Partly because I'm not that kind of fan.

I like rugby, quite a lot. But, I'd never own or go to a match wearing an All Blacks jersey. I will wave a wee flag around with my kids, but that's a separate thing, not a replica thing.

But that's just me. I wouldn't judge anyone else on the grounds they are that person.

Actually, now that I think about it, this might be like musical tastes, or any other interest you can be invested in. If someone doesn't like what you like, it can feel quite personal, even though it's probably not.

Having said all that, the Ed O'Brien Strat intrigues me, for what it can do.

Pax/
    Dean

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

If it has options I like and I can afford it, I’d get it.
    I wouldn’t buy any signature model based on my love of that artist.

Either way, I ended up modifying both a Strat and a Tele to make them “my” signature models...they’re both what I want in a Stratocaster and a Telecaster, respectively...since Fender doesn’t recognize my talent and genius, I had to make my own signature models, just as I did with my Crybaby pedal.

17. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I'd get one in a second, but the artist part means nothing to me. Its all about the specs

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's three sig model guitars i'd like. The Warren Haynes Les Paul due to specs, price and no nibs. Warren Haynes Es335 specs, I like the relic and look and the price was good when released. Like getting custom shop for standard pricing.

A Kotzen Tele, I like the specs and it has the nicest contour cuts I have seen on a tele and the contour is only available on that model. I'm not really into the flame top or pale neck so if I got one for the right price I would refinish the body in a solid color and tint the neck vintage amber. Possibly change out the gold hardware for nickel vintage tuners and bridge.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The artists who have "signature model" guitars generally don't use those guitars.

That oughta tell you something

Obsessed and studio1087 like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The three that interest me the artists play almost exclusively or at least the majority of the time. Not that that matters to me. I would be sanding the sig decal off anyway when re tinting the neck on the signed one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.