How Do You Feel About Signature Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 9, 2019.

How do you feel about Signature Telecasters?

1. Like them.

61 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Don't care for them.

78 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

How do you feel about Signature Telecasters such as the James Burton, the Brad Paisley, the Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Page, etc.?

I'm trying out a Brad Paisley Signature Road Worn, and while I like the way it looks/feels/plays, something is bothering me about it being a Signature model.

While I like/respect Brad Paisley, it's not like he's my hero, and I'll play better because I'm using a Road Worn Brad Paisley Telecaster :)

So do like Signature Telecasters, or do you prefer more nondescript ones like a Baja, American Special, etc.?

Please vote in my Poll, and please give me your valued comments as well!

2. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I'd kill for a Waylon Jennings tele

3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think you may have missed an option. I have a Brad Paisley Tele but the signature didn’t really influence me either way. I mainly purchased it because of the neck profile. So perhaps include a doesn’t influence either way option. cheers

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t buy a guitar just because it’s someone’s signature model. But if I liked it, that wouldn’t keep me from buying it either.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I have to keep talking myself out of paying silly money for a Bonnie Raitt Strat, but apart from that...

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Not a James Burton Fan, but it was my first Tele, and I still like it. I know next to nothing about Prince, but apart from the weight I like the Harley Benton version of his madcat. I am a big Wilko Johnson fan so I put together the homage to his guitar, based upon an 70's MIJ toploader a year or teo before his signature model came out. That said, my No.1 and 2 are the 50's Baja (not shown) and the modified MIM 50's classic shown in the back row. I just like Teles.

upload_2019-6-9_22-26-5.jpeg

7. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Personally other than a Les Paul I don't care for a guitar with an artist signature on the headstock. Weird I know. Now if the guitar has no signature but is an artist model and it has features I like then I'm cool with it.

dan1952 likes this.
  8. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

There’s only one signature model that interests me. Luckily I have one, there’s as my knowlegde only one other in the whole country.

214D3122-9E2D-4442-AC99-3F240E2AA558.jpeg

E033EB54-62B8-483E-BB4F-AD88DFF531D7.jpeg

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

A tele is a workman’s guitar. Plank, stick, plate, strings. Flamey neck? Fancy hardware? The signature of someone famous? I don’t really like. YMMV of course! I am so extremist that I even think that binding is too much on a tele (… well, few teles are as sexy as an AV62 Custom in seafoam green, but that’s the exception…).

Of course if I was after a tele with specs found only on a signature model I would not mind at all getting one. In the amps department, I am very intrigued by the Chris Stapleton Princeton for instance. But for teles, my preferred specs are the classic recipe. Give me a plain old American Vintage any day.

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'm only really interested in them, when the specs suit my needs. The Brad Paisley is said to have a fattish neck, a 9.5 board with big frets and a hot-vintage bridge pickup. It doesn't weigh much, either. Stuff like colour doesn't really concern me. If a Paisley came up locally, at a good price, I'd probably go look at it.;)

txflood, 8trackmind and stnmtthw like this.
  11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I think you may have missed an option. I have a Brad Paisley Tele but the signature didn’t really influence me either way. I mainly purchased it because of the neck profile. So perhaps include a doesn’t influence either way option. cheers

It's too late to add that option, but I'd say in your case that you like them :)

gkterry likes this.
  12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Kenny Vaughan got a BP sig. He had the neck shaved down some, added a B bender, and changed the pickguard to white.

Personally, the only signature guitar I ever bought was a first year SRV Strat. I held onto it for a few years and sold it basically unplayed. Just couldn't bring myself to take it to unsavory places like rehearsals and bar gigs. :p

I've put together a few "inspired by" builds, but I don't buy actual signature guitars.

Bruxist likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What’s not to like?

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

For me the Signature teles are mostly great looking, but it doesn't matter if I feel a link to the original artist or not.
    • At some point I wanted a James Burton tele (the red one), I didn't buy one, but I am, and always will be a fan of his guitar playing.
    • I did buy a (second hand) Jim Adkins tele, because it is so different, not because I'm a fan.
    • I like Waylon Jennings and I wish I could buy a signature tele, but I probably never will. Because except for the leather cover, I don't see how it differs from so many other teles.
    • Same goes for the Merle Haggard tele (although it looks fantastic, and the production method is really different)
    • A George Harrison rosewood guitar looks great, but I don't see what it adds to my collection (soundwise), except for it being a very cool guitar?
    • I am quite a fan of Brad Paisley's playing, but I don't like the look of this signature tele. I might end up buying either the original pickups (if someone replaces them), or I might do some research and check if I can buy them new. I'm very happy with the necks I have now, but I might try one out if I get the chance.
    • I like Chris Shifflett, and I might - at some point - buy this signature tele.
    • I even have a few Squier "artist" models, and I particularly like the John 5 dual humbucker version (in black, the golden one looks like s***t), but I'm not a fan, at all.
    So for me, if the guitar is different enough from a regular model, and if the differences appeal to me, I'd be interested in buying one.

15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I buy a signature edition only if it fills the bill of what I am looking for in a guitar. Example: I've wanted a Firebird for over 40 years (I'm old) had an Epiphone - the flat finish kind w/o the proper pickups and never could bond with it. I like single pup guitars best and when the JB Treasure FB came out it fit the bill at a reasonable price. I like JB but wouldn't buy a guitar based on his signature, but this one is just what I had always hoped for.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Well, they don't make a Bill Kirchen or a Julian Lage signature model, so...

Clifton C, coloradojeff and REWTX like this.
  17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

We have this exact thread regularly. For some it's about loosing your own individuality and a deadly sin. But for most here judging by previous threads it's just a limited run, where fender or someone else ask an artist what his favorite specs are.

I have this:
    [​IMG]

It a Ritchie Kotzen signature strat. I know who he is, can't name a single one of his songs, but look at it. It has a nice chunky neck with a 12" radius and jumbo frets combined with a old school 6 point tremolo .. Not to mention it's blingy as hell and I love bling. It has all I want in a Strat and I never think of Mr. Kotzen.

Btw here is Prince rocking a George Benson Signature model
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  18. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I feel good about them. I would like someone to give me a few: James Burton, Brad Paisley, George Harrison. I don't want a Jimmy Page one, and gosh, I didn't even know there was a Kurt Cobain Telecaster.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  19. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Even though I just got done saying that I don't do signature guitars, this one makes me a little tingly in bad places. :lol:

2496958[1].jpg

TeleTex82, Fretting out and bftfender like this.
  20. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Actually I didn't know who Brad Paisley was but yes I sure like the guitar. But I would have bought it with or without the signature and I probably lean toward 'Don't Care for them'.

No worries though all good fun and an interesting topic.

Kind regards

gkterry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.