1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you feel about pedals with no external power option?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 10, 2021.

Battery Only Pedals?

1. No worries, I rock them

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Inconvenient but for the right pedal it's ok

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Nothing a quick mod can't remedy

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Hard pass

35 vote(s)
    42.7%
  5. I only use batteries with my pedals

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have a Burkey power supply. Dutch company that went out of business. It’s about as sleek as me in a Speedo. However, two of the outlets have variable voltage, one 3-9V, the other 3-12V. Always have them set for 9V.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Agreed, but I'd opt for the latter, w/o battery, over the battery only. These days, I'd bet that 99% of pedalboards have and external 9V P.S. source even if its only a wall-wart with a daisy chain multi-plug connector.

3. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I have no opinion, but what is example of a battery only pedal on the current market?

northernguitar likes this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

A couple of the Lovepedal ones I use sound different / funny / worse on shore power. I have a big box Amp 11 that whines when the boost is on and it's running off the adaptor and I strongly suspect that the Tchula sounds different / better when running off the battery. Neither of these is on my gig board, just because I'm not willing to deal with batteries. Everything stays plugged in all the time. I might move the Tchula on board if I keep playing this Les Paul, though -- it's sparkly magic with this guitar.

5. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Holic

I build pedals and generally they don't include a battery option unless someone specifically requests it.

WalthamMoosical and Tim S like this.
  6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

MXR Custom Shop Reissues are one example.

And plenty of people still buy and play through the originals or other old pedals that were battery only. These are the ones that would be devalued most by modifications.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Except for time based pedals ( Reverb or Delay) which really need AC adapters, I use pedals that use both batteries and have an AC (.Boss style )
    jack.

Sometimes I may just want to bring an OD pedal ( with battery) for a jam, open mic

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If I a vintage MXR that couldn't take a power supply and would be devalued by modding it I'd either:

- Put it on the shelf, or sell it immediately
    - Get the new MXR reissue that almost surely exists and is cheaper and solves all the issues, and I wouldn't worry about vintage cork-sniffery

No battery option is also annoying if it's something simple like an OD or Fuzz. A lot of stuff that won't take a battery is digital and would suck batteries dry pretty quickly though, so I'm OK with it in that case.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  9. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Oh thanks. I wasn't even aware this was a thing, but it makes sense that the old ones would be battery only.

I guess I actually do have an opinion on this since I tend to go with plug in power supply over batteries, but I guess I use so few pedals (even though I own a lot of them) that I hadn't put much thought into it. But now that I am thinking about it, I suppose I favor power supply since I have a lot of pedals that go unused for long periods of time, and I wouldn't want to have them sitting around with batteries decaying inside.

10. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I had to buy a 9V battery for my smoke detector the other day...for $6.

Hard pass on the pedal option.

11. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I don't know of any.
    Or want to

12. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had posted this in a thread about the MXR Distortion Plus a while ago. Small Bear Electronics sells a plexiglass space plate that is made so people can put an LED inside a pedal and the light will shine through the plate. I didn't want to hack up my 1979 pedal so I cut a slot on the plate and used it as a spacer for the 9V battery adapter.

https://www.tdpri.com/attachments/7c39af0d-43ff-4306-b89b-35a633e773f8-jpeg.681716/

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/light-plates-pre-drilled-various-sizes/

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Batteries only for me. Duracell usually. Sometimes Energizer.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Annoying, and usually vintage so I don’t want to drill for a jack or notch for an adapter. Might rehouse a couple to preserve the vintage collectors item, like old MXR micro flangers that are worth $200 and sound nothing like the reissues Dunlop puts in cases with the same name.

15. telemnemonics

Dunlop offers a custom shop 74 script phase 90 with no jack or LED.
    Dumb IMO but I bought one!

16. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I have the similar 75 Script Phase 45. Love the pedal, hate having to make sure its unplugged from the input every time.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

The Whirlwind Orange Box (made by the original designer builder of the Phase 90) has jacks & LED while I cannot hear any difference from the CS script p90.
    I have several vintage Phase 90s and one or two vintage phase 45s plus a RI script phase 45.
    Such a lot of subtlety in such simple fx.

The Whirlwind is a great great phaser, though of course a little more overt than the 45.
    I forget now if my Dunlop built Phase 45 has a jack, they do offer the reissues with jack & LED too now.
    Oddly Dunlop makes both the 45 and 90 in CS and standard versions but you can't tell one from the other from the outside.
    Have to look at original packaging or the circuit board, and the CS does sound a little different, a little better.

18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

610yLtu0MuL._AC_SX425_.jpg

northernguitar likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

I used to see these notches in vintage pedals before aftermarket power supplies and boards came on the market, but of course after Boss and DOD made external power supplies. Easy enough solution.

C43CC904-F27C-4E09-92D5-797EFF89C71C.jpeg

20. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I HATE external power supplies.

I've used batteries for 30+ years with never a problem, and I frankly have no idea why folks are so intimidated by them these days.

I suspect it's a millennial thing that I will never understand.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Stanford Guitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.