1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you feel about amplified busking near places you do business?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 16, 2021.

1. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

It's curmudgery. I hate to correct you but I have it too. ;)

SRHmusic, Fuelish and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

aw, come one, TD, give 'em a dollar. give 'em two dollars.

Alamo, drewg, Toto'sDad and 1 other person like this.
  3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Several weeks ago I stopped by my local Home Depot. When I got out of my car I heard loud, distorted music. Couldn't figure it out. It got worse as I walked up to the entrance. There was a man and woman (husband/wife I assume) with signs saying they were out of work and needed money. He was playing a violin. They were using some type of battery powered speaker cranked way beyond its limit along with backing tracks of some sort. It sounded terrible. And was bouncing off the big brick face of the Home Depot. No idea if he was good or not (I could tell that he didn't completely suck, but beyond that, who knows?). People were walking far around them. They were still there when I left the store 20 minutes later. I wanted to approach and tell them if they turned it down then folks might be more willing to come up and drop some money in their tip bucket. But the pain of getting closer to them........eerrrraagggghhhhh.....no.

So that's my thought on busking. I'm not concerned about your talent. Just make sure that your sound quality is reasonable and that people aren't so turned off they won't come close enough give you a tip.

Regarding the comment above about not wanting to tip someone who has nice equipment, I know lots of people who got equipment when playing four to nine gigs a week was a thing and then that all went away.

4. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

When I drove away from the grocery store yesterday, there was a guy with an electric violin right across the walkway into the store. He had a small amplifier with what sounded like a Mexican/Gypsy music backing track and he was playing pretty well along with it. A woman was walking around near him and there was a sign that said something about 3 kids and needing rent money. I almost turned around and went back to listen because it was so unique (the music, not the sign). I'm pretty sure the store told him "Not here!", so I wish I had gone back to listen. I would have given him a few bucks, if only because it wasn't another moocher just standing around asking for handouts.

I don't get out much, so I don't know if there's any real street talent around Milwaukee. In Europe, though, there are some phenomenal street musicians. Would hearing any of these bother you?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    drewg, 39martind18 and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I work at home so the only one complaining about my busking at work is my wife who also works at home.
    More Cowbell!

6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Get off my lawn!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

So you don't want other people to enjoy something you don't like. You want people to behave just like you do. You can't feel the enthusiasm others feel or try to express.

I think someone has to play you some punk music to tell you to let them be,

drewg and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

One of the best Beatles covers I ever heard was performed on a train going from Paris to Versailles. Two guys got on the train with a guitar and a tuba.
    They were fantastic.

61fury, Alamo, thunderbyrd and 4 others like this.
  9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

There was a kid walking around my neighborhood practicing bagpipes, maybe 2019. I think it was the last normal summer. I think he stayed moving so he wouldn't be in one place long enough for a noise complaint. But it was much less annoying than amplified busking. There is something about the sound of plastic pa speakers bouncing off buildings that's worse than mall christmas music. I never feel that way about instruments though, even if they're loud.

TwoBear likes this.
  10. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

I was stopped at a traffic light. There was a guy on the corner playing a flute. He was actually pretty good, and even unamplified, was fairly loud. I had no problem hearing him when I was on the other side of the street headed away. As I was stopped at the light I could hear the people go up to him and complain about his music and how loud it was. I hate to be a curmudgeon but if it was my business or if I lived there, I wouldn't be happy about the noise.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If it was in front of a store I was going to shop in, I’d mostly think: “good on ya for having the guts to put it out there”.

If it was in front of a store where I was working for 8 hours...

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Had an office in Redhill, UK outside London back in the 90's. It was on the high or main street on the 1st floor (2nd floor here). A guy with a saxophone would come on market day and setup right below us. There were kiosks, stalls and lots of traffic. He was okay, but saxophone for hours was unbelievably annoying. Wouldn't have been acceptable to dump the P pot on him like they did in Victorian times, but there were times. I loved going to the UK but I hated Redhill Market Day.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I used to have an office next to a Trader Joe store with busy parking lot. Couple times a week a young woman with electric violin would play with all the emotional gyrations which seem to go with that instrument.

I often thought I could just get a CD of that music and fake it. Who would know?

TwoBear, thunderbyrd and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Crusty jugglers...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I agree with OP.

My typical day of city living would be vastly improved if all those pesky musicians were eradicated.

I would finally be able to hear all the trains, buses, and garbage trucks along with their respective engines, brakes, horns, and especially reverse beeps.

16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I have tipped street musicians when I saw them, but those days of careless galavanting the promenades are but Polaroids hot-stuck to yellowed cellophane for me now.

People blasting extremely loud music in their vehicles at gas stations and so forth may not initially appear to raise the ire of their targets, but their wide-net cry for attention is ill-advised and might prove unfortuitous from a strategic perspective, considering that swivel-heads need but the slightest provocation to gird up.

This unamiable phenomenon is a beaconed code with a host of surprisingly predictable exploits, therefore, a prodigy of the past need not divine the future to heed hostilities.

Nevermind the buskers, here’s the station petrols!

bcorig likes this.
  17. Pickingthru

Pickingthru Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Totally volume dependent for me. I like to be able to hear the busker and carryon a conversation to some extent. Yes. I'll tip them. What I'm not really fond of is the roaming mariachi groups going from table to table at Mexican restaurants. Too loud for my taste and their saliva travels too far. I don't tip them.

18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There is a pan player, with recorded background, that plays outside of a grocery store here. He’s always upbeat and plays a lot of reggae & calypso as well as pop tunes. He plays for tips.

The downside is sometimes he’s a bit loud. His enthusiasm and personality allows to me to enjoy the moment. Tourists get into the moment. Some locals, luckily a small percentage, have issues with his playing. The store’s staff loves it and get into the playing when the doors are open

Now, if it was caterwauling I would have issues.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Back to, while it might be possible to philosophically support his efforts, on a personal level, I feel he really should give me two dollars for the aggravation factor of it all.

TwoBear and bcorig like this.
  20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I think as a musicians we should support all fellow musicians not matter what genre they play. However, if it is loud to the point of being obscene that is a different story.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.