How do you explain the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 21, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Yes, and:

Take the kids who say they've never heard the Beatles, then play 10 of their most popular songs. I bet it turns out those who "never heard the Beatles" have heard 8 of those 10.

I remember watching The Maltese Falcon with someone in college who said "It's just a bunch of detective movie cliches." Right. And that's because every detective movie made ever since either borrowed from it, or borrowed from another move that borrowed from it.

trouserpress and nojazzhere like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are college classes taught on their music and writing. Groundbreaking stuff in many ways. Not to mention the volume of written material. It was WAY outside the norm for music of the time and still is actually. Whether you like them or not. Sure ...it's 50 years old now and dated at this point in time. I have one of my wife's college books here somewhere on one of the courses.
    If you don't really understand music, then you won't get it.

trouserpress and nojazzhere like this.
  3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

just point them to youtube and let them make their own decision.

play music!

4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I can listen to Bieber in the background, not Beethoven.

And now you’re claiming they killed rock and roll? A band you say was overrated and had no influence?

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Only because there are so many boomer aged college professors out there

6. blowtorch

Never said that one. Problem is, it was a negative influence, all the way

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Beatles fans are part of a cult?

You’re funny.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. blowtorch

that particular beatles fan was, yes.
    And, in a larger sense, one could certainly argue for the existence of the cult of beatles fans

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Beatles were very lucky in that they got to earn a living in the music business while still learning their instruments and those early simple pop songs afforded them the means to continue to grow and hone their song writing skills. I think the reason for that is they chose the coolest tunes of the time to cover or rearrange and they presented themselves as an ideal package to gain the attention of the ladies and kick start worldwide fashion trends. The music industry was also ramping up and hungry for new bands to promote and international promotion and touring was getting much easier to achieve.
    I don't like all Beatles songs but they have many awesome songs and there is no denying the massive influence they have had on todays music.

10. blowtorch

Mark David Chapman was and is a beatles fan.
    reflect on that one a bit

11. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Americans often try and start conversations with me about the Beatles because I'm British and they are huge fans. Usually after a blank pause I give them a smile and don't really know what to say. As a small kid in the 70's I liked the Monkees mostly because of their jeuvenile TV show.

The Beatles despite still being popular are nowhere near as big back home in the UK. Neither are Led Zeppelin. Back home Queen has the biggest selling album of all time followed by ABBA. Beatles did come third though. Led Zeppelin didn't even make the top 60 while Meat Loaf has the 21st most popular album with Bat out of Hell.

Personally, I struggle to come up with 3-5 Beatles songs off the top of my head if you don't include Lennon's solo ones like Imagine.

My old man never cared for the Beatles, so as I kid I got to hear a lot of The Who, The Shadows, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey and ABBA lol.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    beagle likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

I think the Beatles would have the majority of fans globally than any other band in history.
    I don't know many people other than extremely closed minded folk that don't like at least a few Beatles songs.

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. blowtorch

I like plenty of beatles songs. that doesn't mean the beatles aren't like, the most overrated band ever.

14. Chunkocaster

What I don't get is the praise many bands get out there that have had maybe one or two popular albums or a handful of hit songs. Guns and Roses would have to beat the Beatles on the most overrated band chart.

15. blowtorch

That's just that some people like some non-beatles music :) and, stuff that hasn't been played right to death via radio, back when that was a thing

16. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I'm not a Beatles nut or anything. Some songs I like a lot, some I don't care for. There are a good number of artists whose music I like much better, but I'm willing to concede their (the Beatles') talent and influence. I don't really understand how you think they killed rock and roll. It was IMO really starting to fade before the Fab Four appeared on the scene and rekindled the flame.

I'm just curious. Which prolific rock and roll artist(s) do you think exceeds the Beatles' songwriting, musicianship, vocal ability and harmonization?

t guitar floyd likes this.
  17. blowtorch

Just to clarify, the beatles weren't a rock n roll band.

They started out as a skiffle band, and then developed and pioneered this awful "rock" music, with "help" from George Martin. Including the flugelphones and gurus and concept albums and halluccinigenics and such :rolleyes:

18. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

In your opinion, who is the most underrated band ever?

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

For a lot of people, they were THE hippy counterculture group in the 60s and 70s, for example in Eastern Europe, Russia, Asia, Latin America etc. Now they just have cheesy merch and endless remasters.

Also, they don't play much of their music from 1965 up on the radio. They play some songs but the majority of the songs on the albums are unknown to most people.

GuitarKid and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

They were "The Thing" after Elvis, and before Michael Jackson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.