How do you explain the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I was born in ‘63 also and the only band that makes me get that glazed look in my eyes like all the 60-70 yr olds get when they talk about the Beatles is The Clash.

Not comparing the two - just that Stummer/Jones are my Lennon/McCartney.

Consistent quality in Beatles music.

Is it rock/pop/godhead ? Early stuff was rock n roll.

When I started exploring The Beatles I kept looking for dirt - and there was very little.

I kept looking for grooves and the all-important (to me) African-American influence and, aside from the early covers (which are very very good) I found little.

Fer Chrissakes - I kept looking for Stray Cat Blues and I only found Yer Blues which was mean-spirited John’s attempt to make fun of Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac...o_O

Bones and blowtorch like this.
  2. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Hegel would probably be like Rush or something... great songwriting, music theory, the bass player sings, but also really long winded songs about elves and tree people. And because synthesizers.

EDIT: never mind, if Kant is the Beatles, Hegel is obviously The Flaming Lips:
    [​IMG]

Flakey likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^i think I like early synth era Rush the best !

(Ducks from incoming projectiles...)

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I wonder if any women have commented in this thread. I think that one aspect of music that is vastly ignored, or misunderstood, is its appeal to either or both sexes. Take the visuals away and the Beatles appealed to both sexes with great success. There are very few bands that can do, or did, that.

Take the blowhards and the fanboys away and look at them objectively. When I do that I consider the Beatles to have been a great band (that could play as a band, as opposed to someone like the Beachboys) and very capable of taking their music in many differing directions. Coupled with great engineers and producers, they changed the landscape greatly. The Beatles were about unity. Many other bands are/were about the opposite IMHO.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

You left out one tiny insignificant detail: The greatest pop music songwriting team of all time. Oh and there's that inventive, creative stuff with George Martin too.

I suppose Sachmo was just a horn player and J.S. Bach was just a piano player.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    RadioFM74, JuneauMike and jackinjax like this.
  7. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

These guys would be Michael Jackson and Madonna.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, so, greater than the Gershwins, eh? :rolleyes:

howardlo and beagle like this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

How would I explain The Beatles to someone who does not know who they were but does have a good understanding of modern pop music? I would say that The Beatles are the originators of many of the sounds that have been cloned for more than five decades now....and never moreso than since the mid-1990’s. Anyone who listens to pop music ‘knows’ on some level who The Beatles were.....they just might not know that they do know in a musical sense who the Beatles were. These people can rest assured that the artists to whom they listen know exactly who
    The Beatles were.

jman72, Georox, codamedia and 3 others like this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

One of the true measures of the greatness of the Beatles is that their influence on rock music is so pervasive, that disliking them becomes a statement. It's like Starbucks- like it or hate it, everyone has an opinion on it and that opinion defines you no matter if you're a fan or not. You can dislike the Stones or the Clash and that's just personal opinion, but saying you don't like the Beatles is instant hipster cred.

11. blowtorch

there are two kinds of people:
    1) folks with their own individual and independent thoughts, and

2)Beatles fanatics

El Marin and beagle like this.
  12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Bingo.

lammie200 likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My 7 YO granddaughter likes the Beatles. It started with "Blackbird". I learned it and played it for her. She was five at the time. She told me I got the guitar part wrong. How do you explain having to change the key to fit my limited range and play a guitar part suited to my very limited talent to a five year old. She still likes them and asks her dad to play the Beatles on satellite radio in the car.

jackinjax likes this.
  14. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

True!
    And now they are peeved off by their own shortcomings and spread bitterness over the object of incomprehension.

Only few people are free from that kind of notions. I'm certainly guilty too. For example I used to dislike Mozart and described his music as 'easy listening' or pop-like. Of course I was wrong and deep inside I sensed that it most likely was an idiot thing to say.

Georox and jackinjax like this.
  15. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

They had a lot of talent, whether it's your kind of talent or not, and many have snuffed themselves out on booze and drug with only a fraction of their notoriety. I imagine it wan't easy being them. And hey - none of them could read or write music.

16. blowtorch

Beatles superfans get really peeved when others refuse to drink the koolaid
    Superfan: [​IMG] (I realize I'm mixing my cult leader metaphors here)

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Unless you were 'of age' in 1964, there is no way you will be able to completely understand the Beatles. You really had to be there. No book, recording, film can quite capture the gigantic culture shift directly related to the Beatles. There's been nothing close since. You don't have to like their music, but to judge it outside the context of what came before and also when it was happening will be an incomplete assessment.

The "Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come" quote by Victor Hugo perfectly fits the Beatles.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    jackal, Georox, howardlo and 5 others like this.
  18. blowtorch

That saying more aptly fits Elvis.
    "Before Elvis, there was nothing"
    -John Lennon

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts. John didn't throw himself up.

20. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.