How do you explain the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 21, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I'll take "Terrible at Trolling for $100, Alex."

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They were the band that started a revolution.
    The Beatles were self contained in every regard, and every member was highly skilled.
    They earned their success with hard work.
    They launched countless imitators, but no equals.
    Millennials and Gen X’ers hate em’ cause they represent the previous generation (Baby Boomers) and their excesses.
    No one touches them, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  3. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

The Beatles , were they not an Oasis tribute band!;)

tintag27 and beagle like this.
  4. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

You don't explain The Beatles, you play their records.

5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Must be about a year ago we had a client come through our office called Robert Plant. The other people in my office were women aged about 25 to 50 all of whom claimed not to get the Zeppelin reference when I started talking about it. I remember trying to explain Chas n Dave in similar circumstances, compared to Led Zep they were massive in terms of singles chart success in the UK.
    Some people just aren't interested in this kind of stuff. It feels like it's just in the fabric of society and how could people not know but you see what you see. I know I've seen cricket on the sports news all my life but honestly I know nothing about cricket, when it comes up it's just white noise to me and other people are like that about music.
    I think I'd rather talk to people who know nothing about The Beatles than those people who think they know all about it and that the fab four invented music.

Tuneup and notmyusualuserid like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Boy band that started making experimental music.

But really, who are all of these people who have not heard of them and are you sure they speak in a language that allows you to communicate with them? They probably have never heard of boy bands or experimental music either.

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

A lot of people really hated them because of that Beatlemania crap. I didn't understand that aspect of it either, but they did work their asses off unlike the bands of today. They toured the world for 4 years, non-stop, ('64-'67) while recording at least 2 albums a year while doing so, and even kept touring with a replacement drummer when Ringo got his tonsils out.

And the complexity of the music grew exponentially in that time. Most seem to remember just the screaming fans, and simple lyrics, i.e. She Loves You, I Wanna hold you hand, that kind of stuff. They started playing mostly covers, but they were still school aged when they were doing that. But they were also doing their own stuff way back when John and Paul were just 15.

With George Martin, the instrumentation changed, the later music wasn't the standard 1-4-5 anymore, that we all learned to play. The lyrics were much more complex/surreal, and a lot of it couldn't even be classified as rock music anymore. By 1965, they were so much different than they were even just 2 years prior. But again I digress, we go with what we know, and people who came much later are never going to appreciate what they don't know. I know I don't care for some very popular bands simply because I chose to turn a deaf ear to it...

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't explain, I just smile and think how lucky they are, not to have heard of the Bootles.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

My own explanation would be “they were the greatest pop-rock band ever”. Then, if practical, I'd put on any of their records from Rubber Soul onwards.

Jerry J and trouserpress like this.
  10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

How
    Gen X'ers don't hate babyboomers on principles like the millenials (Boo hoo hoo they ruined it for us)

Babyboomers are our parents. If we hate them it's personal!

Wildcard_35, Piotr, jman72 and 2 others like this.
  11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Nice suits, interesting gear..

12. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

And they didn't even write their own songs, couldnt play instruments and gave up touring as they were caught out miming all the time.
    Same as every clone boy band pop act ;-)

nvilletele and Mid Life Crisis like this.
  13. RadioFM74

Joke? Not Joke? I go for “no joke” and comment:

- Couldn’t play is very subjective. I think Ringo and John were perfectly adequate for the music and that Paul and George were great at their respective instruments, especially in later recordings;
    - The tour thing is wrong (see any documentary);
    - “Didn’t write” is so wrong it's intriguing: where did you get this from?

t guitar floyd and muudcat like this.
  14. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Yea, no, that won't work. You need to know what other things were around and what was done before and after before you have any means of understanding the impact. Not only in music, pop culture in general. And it's still not halfway enough to appreciate Martin and Emerick.

It's been long enough that @JuneauMike and @El Marin can lay down basically diametrically opposed arguments and both be correct :D

15. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

I go for "You might have gone wrong there"...

Moriarty and WingedWords like this.
  16. RadioFM74

Quite possible ;)

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

And if they don't like them you immediately put them in the waiting list for an urgent FUNCTIONAL BRAIN and GOOD TASTE transplant.:lol:

From someone who obviously missed his date for the aforementioned functional brain transplant :D

t guitar floyd and RadioFM74 like this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you explain the Beatles?

To the uninformed it would all depend on how much time they had.

It's tough to just explain their history and their music without also talking about the social revolution they and other British Invasion Bands helped to begin.

Jerry J, teleman1 and WingedWords like this.
  19. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

As Stewart Copeland and Tina Weymouth have explained in recent documentaries about drums and bass shown on UK BBC4, Ringo was a much more creative drummer than given credit for and Paul was certainly a bass innovator. I was 13 when they took off and always preferred Kinks and Stones, but I've caught up since. Certainly the Beatles together have never been matched by any of their individual solo work. Mull of blasted Kintyre for example.

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Simple: BEATLES = 4 mop-heads from Liverpool, England.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.