How do you edit pictures?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 22, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Despite the fact that I own a laptop, sometimes shop online and participate in this online forum most every day, technologically speaking I am just a wrung or two up the ladder from "Luddite."

To the point, more than once I've wanted to post a pic that contains a serial number on the item. I'm not completely sure why, but I've heard it's a good idea to block out (or is it "black out"?) the number. I've seen pics here where that's been done, so some of you must agree with that notion, and have the computer skills to make that happen.

Me? I haven't got a clue. When I upload pics to my laptop's hard drive, it comes up in a "window" (?) that allows me to "Edit: Crop, add filters, effects and more." And on a "task bar" (?) it shows a symbol that I've learned means I can rotate the image. But that's all I know to do. I haven't found a drop down menu that allows me to black out a portion of the image such as a serial number.

I am hopeless? Or helpless? Helplessly hoping...

billy logan likes this.
  2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Larry G, if you are on Windows, see if you have a program (I guess they call these "apps" now) called Paint. You can open up pictures in that and then there are little paint brushes and pencils and things you can use to mark up a photo. Just pick the magic marker and scribble over the serial number.

3. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Can you right click on a photo and get a menu with something like this at the top?

menu.png

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Better than Paint to me is Win10's picture editing app, just called 'Photos,' that makes blacking out serials, etc., pretty easy. It should be the default application for jpgs, etc., but you can launch it on its own, gives you a few options:

upload_2021-10-22_9-37-19.png

'Draw' would be what you'd use to black out a serial number, and 'Edit' brings up a number of other options, including crop.

upload_2021-10-22_9-38-36.png

I find it a little easier to use for basic screencapping/markup than Paint, but for my 'serious' photographs, it's always Lightroom.

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

On an iPhone or iPad, what is a similarly easy method?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. buster poser

Yup. In Photos, choose your image, 'Edit' is at the top right corner and brings up similar options for cropping, filters, markup.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

On my iPad, I don’t see any option there that could mark the pic in a way so as to obscure a portion.

8. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Snapseed!

Fantastic photo editing! I do LOTYS of photos of products on iPhone and run them through Snapseed. It was created by these guys who made THE BEST Photoshop plug ins!

Super easy and excellent results! Cool filters too if you want funky vintage etc but excels at natural look photos

Beware of many of the photo products. The over saturate or over compress. Don't deal with artifacts well. Fine for one off snap shots but if you ever want to print or use for sales may be hard to control....

Archtops likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

image.jpg

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  10. Bluego1

Bluego1 Friend of Leo's

It’s the three little dots, top right

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's kind of hidden for some reason...

yegbert and buster poser like this.
  12. buster poser

After you click Edit, between Cancel and Done along the bottom you should see three buttons; you want crop on the right. That brings up little borders with “draggable” sides and corners so you can adjust the dimensions. When you’re done you should be able to save it as a new photo or just replace the existing image.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  13. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

I just use the "Paint" app on my computer. It allows you to choose lines line art, shapes, fill the shapes, change the color and airbrush out defects or serial numbers. It is also handy for changing the picture file size to fit various discussion board limits.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

a good start...

upload_2021-10-22_12-12-49.jpeg

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Paint is rudimentary, but perfect for this type of thing.

I always feel I should block out the serial number as well. It is probably a good idea.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Paint.net is a free photo edit. I use Adobe, but it won't run on my Win 7 pc.

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. magicfingers99

you know I don't like to go on rants.

but a phone is really meant to make phone calls, a tablet is meant to surf the web
    and a laptop is meant to do computer work.

now I can make a butterknife into a common screwdriver in a pinch,but would I really want to use it as my best tool?

I can use a phone for a doorstop, but should I? sometimes I think i should.

if the universe were to grant me a single wish, I would wish there are no cellphones and there is no technology to make them ever possible.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I haven't used "Paint" in 20 years. It is in my Windows package on my laptop. Still easy to use.

upload_2021-10-22_12-25-6.png

LGOberean, Hamstein and Fiesta Red like this.
  19. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

These days, phones and tablets are excellent tools to do editing work, especially for minor stuff like this.

As for why to blank out a serial number... There used to be a belief that someone could claim that you had their stolen guitar and scam you out of it. I've never heard of an actual instance of this, just "my buddy knew a guy." I've never bothered to hide a serial number.

If someone filed a police report with the serial number and it happened before I owned it, quite honestly I'd want them to have their gear back. If someone doesn't have a police report, then they don't have a valid claim and I'd tell them to go fly a kite.

20. magicfingers99

thats why they don't have cotton candy in the green room anymore.

Hamstein, dented and Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.