how do you do your tea ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

2. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It just makes me happy this thread is still going. Even (especially) the folks poking fun. The other thing that I find helps is filtered water (just using the brita). We don't use tap water for anything we actually drink anymore. Could care less about the chemicals it just tastes bad (here). I remember growing up when we visited grampa and gramma I always thought the water tasted funny...and my mom said that was because it was clean :eek:. And once you're off the tap you just get more sensitive to it. Kindof a bummer in some ways. I don't like being fussy so I've learned to get past it in order to enjoy it when someone offers me a cuppa but I do enjoy a cup with good water just off the boil, and good tea (not dust) that needs a few minutes to steep. Yum.

Pu erh is green tea but aged and fermented. The nice side effect is that where normal green tea gives me a tummy ache pu erh doesn't. I don't know why but the taste always reminds me of the way old leather gloves that have been used for yardwork smell. I love that. I put it in a pot with a strainer built into the spout so it can keep steeping through several small cups. Each cup is different and interesting. I never do that with black tea.

It wouldn't let me like this twice so I had to quote it.

3. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Kettle,bag,milk,sugar.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I did give this a go.

I think there is merit in the microwave enhanced steeping. It seems that as hot water is key anyway, whether it is kettle or microwave does not really make much difference as long as it is not reboiled water in either.

The microwave method improves it by adding energy to the water and tea while it is initially brewing, where even in a pre-warmed pot or mug, the water temperature begins to drop immediately. So basically it's about it being hotter for longer early in the brewing cycle, which basic science would suggest would be more effective.

So +1 here on a microwave as a brew accelerator/alternative.

I did find it weak though with the given timings and still not as rich as a 3min well steeped pot tea. I had to leave it to stand an extra minute beyond the experiment recommendation and stir it to be close to a good pot tea.

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I like my tea done proper ... ;)

6. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I grew up drinking my tea with milk like me mum did. My wife converted me to black tea and now I can't imagine polluting tea with milk.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife told me this weekend that tea doesn't steep properly at our ski condo, because of the altitude. Is this possible?

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Certainly is. The boiling point of the water drops with altitude so the extraction rate is different and slower.

I know this from personal experience having failed to make decent cups of tea on many mountaineering trips over 12,000 feet in the alps where the boiling point is about 88 degrees C. Effects making up reconstituted food too. You can't heat the water past that temp it just boils away.

Standard Temperature and Pressure stuff from science class.

You could try a pressure cooker though. Never tried making tea in one but it would let you get the water hotter.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And since we're talking stereotypes so freely I suggest that to most of the world, Kentucky would be the exact opposite of Great Britain. GB has a reputation of sophistication and manners. They also have a reputation for some of the toughest and smartest fighting men on the planet...and those men were powered and empowered by tea. So much so that GB bought all the tea (except Japan) on the planet.

I think the "little old lady" view might be just indicative of a rather Kentucky based view of the world...since we're talking stereotypes.:)

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

And MO touches KY.

william tele likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

True...the difference being we skin our possums before boiling.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We interrupt this thread with an important video!

13. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

This thread show that there as many ways to brew tea as there are people.

I use Republic Of Tea loose tea in a glassware pot and infuse it in just boiling water for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then, I enjoy in a tea cup with milk and sugar. For me it's become an early morning ritual. The latest trends seem to be teas with flavors as mango, ginger, peppermint, etc. I prefer the black teas without flavorings. The Brits have the right idea though, a good
    "cuppa" seems to solve all problems.

Classicplayer

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My only tea, is sweet iced tea. However, I only French press my coffee, yes I am a coffee snob..... Phuch starbucks.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pinky extended. Much like the extended fret reach.

16. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Well, tea happens to my second favorite drink. My favorite is from Kentucky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.