How do you crack open a safe?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I know a guy that cracks bank safes, and other things like security boxes. Not only would he loose his license for divulging how they work, but he would be looking at jail time. I know because I asked.

One of the best guitarists I know...

You can get prison time just for having a commercial cutting torch without a license as it's considered a burglary tool if you don't.

My dad had one and a license; a friend asked to borrow it. When I asked for it back he lied and said he gave it to me already.

I told my dad who called the cops. My "friend" had actually used it to commit robbery and him and his uncle who he lived with went to prison and the cops AND THE FBI never did give back the torch because it was a violation of the license to loan it.

What exactly is a "commercial cutting torch"? I only use oxyfuel and plasma torches. What am I missing out on??

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Picking a tumbler lock is easy, raking is even easier
I was shown how to open a combination lock but getting it open was another thing.
A pick set has many legal and moral uses. Used in the wrong way it can have criminal consequences

I had a locksmith license in Texas a hundred years ago when it was necessary to possess a pick set

Some of the big name tumbler locks were the easiest to open. The ads made it seem like they were bullet proof but they could be raked in a heartbeat. The hardest were the small brass locks that most power companies used. It took a light touch to pick them

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
They sure do things differently in CA. No such laws against having such things around here, even lockpicking sets are legal to carry in this State. It isn't the tool that makes things illegal, it is the act of using them. So, as long as you do not cross the law in how he use them, no problem.

Safe cracking is similar to picking locks in that you have to feel for the resistence pins. As you rotate the dial, you feel the resistence points and create a graph of their locations to help you figure out the code. To be good at lock picking and safe cracking, you have to have a very good touch to feel the slight differences in tension.
you can buy a cutting torch in california...

https://www.zoro.com/kbmt/cutting-t...QINReGhHfIsWG4pWnIVFHp62wz5_hQnwaAt39EALw_wcB

but some of the rest of that is probably right... but, not the torch part.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
I suppose you have to do it in this position- In fact, I think it is mandatory.

crack.jpg

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I heard a radio show not long ago where they interviewed a world-renowned safe cracker. It was fascinating. For high-security commercial safes, the operation is extremely delicate and highly technical. It’s like brain surgery. These safes are designed to defeat cracking attempts.

Here is the link. This guy is called on to open Prince's vault in Paisley Park after Prince has died. The intro is a few minutes long, then it gets to the technical part. Really interesting. Worth a listen.

Last edited:

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
Watch the movie "The Score" DeNiro has a clever way to open a safe in that one. It involves a little explosives though, but in America, you can buy that in the streets i assume.