How do you crack open a safe?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I know a guy that cracks bank safes, and other things like security boxes. Not only would he loose his license for divulging how they work, but he would be looking at jail time. I know because I asked.

One of the best guitarists I know...

You can get prison time just for having a commercial cutting torch without a license as it's considered a burglary tool if you don't.

My dad had one and a license; a friend asked to borrow it. When I asked for it back he lied and said he gave it to me already.

I told my dad who called the cops. My "friend" had actually used it to commit robbery and him and his uncle who he lived with went to prison and the cops AND THE FBI never did give back the torch because it was a violation of the license to loan it.
They sure do things differently in CA. No such laws against having such things around here, even lockpicking sets are legal to carry in this State. It isn't the tool that makes things illegal, it is the act of using them. So, as long as you do not cross the law in how he use them, no problem.

Safe cracking is similar to picking locks in that you have to feel for the resistence pins. As you rotate the dial, you feel the resistence points and create a graph of their locations to help you figure out the code. To be good at lock picking and safe cracking, you have to have a very good touch to feel the slight differences in tension.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I looked into safes once and did a lot of research on em, for a buddy of mine who was going to open a store and wanted one. There's the run of the mill safes, like you see in the stores, and then there's commercial grade high security safes. Major differences between the 2. Even the lowest rated commercial safe is vastly superior to the highest quality run of the mills, and they also cost much much more, not to mention they weigh the same as a Cadillac and then some LOL!!! It's because of these reasons most people don't have this sort of safe. Look up "TL rated safes" to get an idea.
No matter how big the safe, someone can figure out to open it. For one, if a couple of guys are holding you, and another guy has a pair of diagonal cutters and he puts them around your pinkie finger and starts tightening his grip, you're going to probably just tell him how to open that safe.

The other is, nobody today pays any attention now to what's going on even at a business. Here on one of the state highways that goes through town, some guys showed up with a forty flatbed, and a Hydro Crane. They took some sections out of the tin roof of a business, hooked onto three commercial very heavy safes and hauled 'em up through the roof and put them on the flatbed with the hydro crane. Tied everything down and drove off.

The thieves had some knowledge of the business and picked a time when everyone concerned with the business was out of town for a weekend. They made off with money and a number of firearms that belonged to the owners of the business. I've never heard a word about anyone being caught.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
No matter how big the safe, someone can figure out to open it. For one, if a couple of guys is holding you, and another guy has a pair of diagonal cutters and he puts them around your pinkie finger and starts tightening his grip, you're going to probably just tell him how to open that safe.

I'm no expert on em by any means but when I did the research for my buddy, I was quite surprised at the levels of sophistication one can have in a safe... IF they're willing/need such security and are willing to pony up the dough ;) See the movie "The Deep" when Shaw talks about the "3 lock box" ;)

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
Just say BANG.

1660687904573.png

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In light of recent events,a question came to me.How do you crack open a safe?Do you put your ear up to it to hear the tumblers click?Or is it digital?A key?Hammer and chisel?Laser beams?
Interesting thread.....and some good replies. I'm VERY curious why the OP is asking. I've known a couple of locksmiths, but I don't have any inside information. One question would be, do you care if the safe is destroyed in the process? I've seen convincing videos where a hole is drilled to the lock mechanism, and then the "tumblers" (?) are manipulated......but then the safe is ruined. I also knew a guy who was amazing at opening all kinds of combination locks by feel. That didn't ruin anything.
Butch Cassidy had his own method.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
No matter how big the safe, someone can figure out to open it. For one, if a couple of guys are holding you, and another guy has a pair of diagonal cutters and he puts them around your pinkie finger and starts tightening his grip, you're going to probably just tell him how to open that safe.

The other is, nobody today pays any attention now to what's going on even at a business. Here on one of the state highways that goes through town, some guys showed up with a forty flatbed, and a Hydro Crane. They took some sections out of the tin roof of a business, hooked onto three commercial very heavy safes and hauled 'em up through the roof and put them on the flatbed with the hydro crane. Tied everything down and drove off.

The thieves had some knowledge of the business and picked a time when everyone concerned with the business was out of town for a weekend. They made off with money and a number of firearms that belonged to the owners of the business. I've never heard a word about anyone being caught.
A lot of jewelry stores that I worked with used the most basic combination possible so they could remember it. In fact, the alarm codes were the same way (1,2,3,4,5). At 2 stores, the combination was always even numbers and in tens for ease in remembering.

I suspect there are a lot of lazy safe owners in the world.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
They sure do things differently in CA. No such laws against having such things around here, even lockpicking sets are legal to carry in this State. It isn't the tool that makes things illegal, it is the act of using them. So, as long as you do not cross the law in how he use them, no problem.

Safe cracking is similar to picking locks in that you have to feel for the resistence pins. As you rotate the dial, you feel the resistence points and create a graph of their locations to help you figure out the code. To be good at lock picking and safe cracking, you have to have a very good touch to feel the slight differences in tension.
This was the 70's, the laws may have changed, but if you get caught with lockpicking tools you're definitely going to the station.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This was the 70's, the laws may have changed, but if you get caught with lockpicking tools you're definitely going to the station.
Not in most States anyway. Ever since lockpicking has become a sport that people compete in all over the US, the laws on ownership have been eliminated in most States. Usage is a different matter, but owning is fine.

In fact, many states do not license a locksmith, so being a locksmith is defined as somebody who deals with keys and locks for their profession. That is a very broad and vague definition, so a security guard, a janitor, etc. could fit that description as a big part of their job consists of locks and keys.

If you wanted to learn lockpicking or even Safe Cracking, you can find all the support you need with companies like "Sparrow".

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Not in most States anyway. Ever since lockpicking has become a sport that people compete in all over the US, the laws on ownership have been eliminated in most States. Usage is a different matter, but owning is fine.

In fact, many states do not license a locksmith, so being a locksmith is defined as somebody who deals with keys and locks for their profession. That is a very broad and vague definition, so a security guard, a janitor, etc. could fit that description as a big part of their job consists of locks and keys.

If you wanted to learn lockpicking or even Safe Cracking, you can find all the support you need with companies like "Sparrow".
Used to work for a company that made Dead bolts, door knobs, stuff like that under the name of Fortress. We had kits we could only sell after we got the license number.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
In a previous life, like many of you I suspect, had the need to access file cabinets and racks that were locked by somebody who had left the facility.

I bought some lock picks and practiced. Got pretty good.

As for combination locks I will point you to “Surely You’re Joking Mr Feynman” by Ralph Leighton. Some pretty good techniques in there.