How do you count this?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
13/4 wouldn't be incorrect--but it's not how I would count it because of the feel.

To my ear, it's three groups of three, followed by one group of four...

|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-/-||:

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I could go with that. I really dislike the way the drummer plays it compared to Bruford’s album version.

Yeah but if you can't get Bruford... I dunno if that's another bridge Bob has burned.

Also, Bruford was 25 years old when they cut that, can't really expect three old men to compete.

I also think Tony Levin's bass is a bit "polite" compared to John Wetton's original part. But maybe that's what Bob wants now.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Yeah but if you can't get Bruford... I dunno if that's another bridge Bob has burned.

Also, Bruford was 25 years old when they cut that, can't really expect three old men to compete.

I also think Tony Levin's bass is a bit "polite" compared to John Wetton's original part. But maybe that's what Bob wants now.
I like Masteletto.
Not sure Bruford is taking gigs anymore. The guy makes my top 10
list every time I juggle it.
Hard to say what goes on in Fripp’s head.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
13/4 wouldn't be incorrect--but it's not how I would count it because of the feel.

To my ear, it's three groups of three, followed by one group of four...

|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-|-/-/-/-/-||:

I "feel" it more like 3-3-2-5. :)
I think on one level you need to think of it as bars of 13/4, and the G bars at the end as 8/4, because then you realise that it's "just" a 12-bar blues: C / / / F / C / G / / /
In practice when counting it I'm of the 6+3+4 camp.

BTW that's not at all difficult by KCr standards... the 1980s lineup took this to another level, with different time signatures playing simultaneously. Try listening to Discipline or Indiscipline and try to work out what's happening...

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
BTW that's not at all difficult by KCr standards... ]

Actually that's why I posted it. It's something that's actually attainable by someone at my (low) level. Things like "Indicipline" or "Fracture" are too out of reach to even consider.

High school age kids can tackle something like "Starless" or "Red":

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Mainly 13. sub divide it however's most comfortable.
I love how the dbl X section is pretty much just blues changes.