1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you balance your different guitars in your own setup?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jussi, Nov 24, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

lol yeah exactly, i was going to say the same thing. i just play the same guitar the whole gig through. i play with 11-12 flats and can't remember the last time i popped a string. maybe at the end of a punk gig 10 years ago. if i have a backup, it's just whatever i feel like. i go and turn the amp down a little bit so it doesn't distort as early.

MilwMark and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That sums it up nicely.

MilwMark and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play clean, mostly finger style. I use a Boss EQ-200 with all my guitars, with four tone shaping profiles saved to memory. But the profiles do more than just shape tone. They’re all roll off profiles. There is a small high frequency roll off that I use with my Telecaster and FCS Stratocaster. A little low frequency roll off is added for my Strat with VN pickups. They’re almost perfectly balanced between them. Low frequency roll off is increased to give me clarity with the HB pickups in my SG. HB pickups are louder, but with the added low frequency roll off, balance is maintained. I have a profile for my Annie with its mud switch that more aggressively rolls off low frequencies but leaves high frequencies unattenuated. Again, balance is maintained. Playing with a flat pick raises the volume. I use the (master) volume control on my guitars to control volume with a pick. It took a while to get all this dialed in but it’s been well worth the effort.

rze99 likes this.
  4. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

This!
    Wise words and decisions for me to learn. Thanks to lot.

DeepDangler, JL_LI and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

In take two just in case of string break. I use only one.

If need to change, I just dial one more (or less) volume point in my Tube Screamer and I am done. I dial my amp clean and have a TS-808 always ON

MilwMark likes this.
  6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Are people really that into getting the right tone all the time ?
    I usually use one guitar , but if I have to , I turn knobs.
    The only thing I dont do is futz around with stuff enough to delay proceedings on stage.
    I just live with it , no one cares what our tone is like anyway

MilwMark likes this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agree. So long as the tone is not outright obnoxious - IN THE MIX - no one cares.

I don’t do the cover band thing anymore. But when I did I would YouTube live clips of the bands to learn parts. They rarely seemed to care about matching their recorded tones and the fans still screamed.

All I want is a base tone I like WITH GREAT DYNAMICS and I’m good.

kookaburra likes this.
  8. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

When I switch between HBs and SCs I have to adjust EQ. Sometimes using the bright switch with HBs does it. But I also have to adjust volume, so I use just one electric guitar per gig.

9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

run your amp hot and the guitars controls are your best friend...quiet jazzy whisper to as loud as you could ever need...without pedals or amp fiddling.the solution to it that has always worked since tube amps and electric guitars were invented

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

U is well sorted bruv

JL_LI likes this.
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just. Play.

12. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm in a cover band- I'll always bring a tele or strat, and a humbucker or filtertron guitar to a gig, for a range of tones (and to have a backup if something happens to one of the guitars). When we play out (hopefully that will happen again in a few months) we generally play in places that have crappy / noisy power supplies and lots of electrical interference, so I simply cannot use regular singlecoil pickups in teles, strats, etc. - way too much buzz/hum.

I've got Kinman or Joe Barden pickups in the teles and strats, which are enough louder than regular singlecoils that there's not enough volume/output difference from humbucker and filtertron pickups on the other guitars to require amp adjustments when switching guitars, and there is no more noise/buzz/hum from Kinmans & Bardens than with humbuckers. There is not a tone compromise; at least with Kinmans and Bardens I find the tone/response to be as good, for what I play, as with stock singlecoils.

Also, I tend to set the amp so my cleanish sounds are with the guitar volume controls set on 6 or 7, so I can get louder/dirtier by rolling up the volume on the guitar. That also makes slight volume adjustments easier when needed.

rze99 likes this.
  13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just pick one electric (single coil or humbuckers) depending on my mood and play it. Very rarely I have an acoustic to swap in. It seems to work out from my perspective. When I rarely get a comment on tone it has been positive.

I set levels during sound check and if there is a sound person they fiddle with the mix.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

With one of these. It has three settings to adjust your dB signal. (-3 / 0 / +3)

With the flip of a switch, you’re in business. It’s a great buffer too.

upload_2020-11-27_11-23-14.jpeg

rze99 likes this.
  15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm a year into playing with a rock variety band, everything from motown & Van Morrison to Journey and Rush.
    I'm mostly on a bridge humbucker. I prefer a Tele for single coil but for this gig, using a coil split & knob turning, is better than bringing a fourth guitar. I use three, two are HSS and one is HH. One guitar tuned in D, two guitars in E flat.
    To accommodate, as of this Wednesday's gig, I have a EQ pedal in the loop which was helpful. I also use a TC Mini Spark. I also tweak the amp as needed. I assume the sound guy is keeping up.

16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A volume pedal that serves as a master volume. Also, I don't like readjusting my drives, so I will adjust my comp level and output which is almost always on.

17. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

I asked this when the last time we had no person as a mixer. Yes, I can balance different guitars from an amplifier with a boost switch. With the telecaster in the boost switch on and with the humbucker in the boost off position. I may apologize a little for my strange English.

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

If it's an issue, I adjust some knobs on the amp.

That said, I'm also a guy that generally uses one guitar during a gig, although I bring a second in case of a string break. And, the music I play can be handled dynamically though picking or maybe a wee tweak of the guitar's volume knob.

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You need to remember, these guitars were designed to sound worlds apart from each other.

Pltor said what I was going to say.
    With the Pick up switch in the middle position, you can work a lot of magic moving those Four Knobs.

Being a Les Paul guy forever, I suggest using that Fat, Muddy sounding Neck pick-up whenever anybody is Singing.
    It is a bit weird at first but believe me, the Vocalists will think you are the Best!

One very common mistake IMHO is players with Humbuckers use too much Distortion.
    I was lucky enough to have a Bass player many years ago who showed me he was right.

Keep at it.

-ST

20. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Compressor with single coils, volume and tone controls.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.