1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do you balance your different guitars in your own setup?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jussi, Nov 24, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's worked for me over the last 40 years.

There's a spare guitar and amp, just in case, somewhere in the background of course, in case of disaster.

2. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I used to gig with a POD HD PRO amp modeller, so it was easy to have different amp models and different patches for different guitars based on output. I'd use a decibelmeter in the room to make sure they were as balanced as I could get them. That said, for the last few years of gigging I only took out one guitar. usually a fresh set of strings before each gig takes away the worry of snapping a string and needing a backup

Jussi likes this.
  3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

Boss GE-7, level slider.

Tommy Biggs and rze99 like this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I don’t gig, but if I did with an amp, it would just be my Helix LT as my pedalboard. Just different patches for different guitars. Plus, with snapshots, you wouldn’t have to tap dance as much.

Jussi likes this.
  5. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Very reasonable and practical ;)

Only some old school purists (like me sometimes) make their lives harder than it is..

I've two amps and two gig guitars. My amps are Vox ac30/Matchless dc30 clone and Fender pro reverb 1979. I use more this Vox clone. Guitars are Fender 72 telecaster custom ri and Tokai love rock 'les paul" style japanese guitar.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My BD-2 works as a little-bit-of-dirt pedal with my LP and as a clean boost with my Danelectro 12-string. Due to the Recent Unpleasantness I haven't had the chance to try it at a gig (I've only had the Danelectro since September), but I think it's all I'll need.

7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Presumably you don't play them at the same time. When you plug in the different guitar, you reach back and adjust your volume on the amp.

I prefer to adjust volume on the amp just because, in my experience, turning the volume on the guitar has a much greater effect on tone.

RomanS, MilwMark and Cyberi4n like this.
  8. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Here's my entire, pawnshop-sourced, 'pedalboard'. I've had it for probably ten years, might have been $25. I'm using it right now, it's very fresh photo.
    IMG_20201124_085720724.jpg

Jussi likes this.
  9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I don't have this problem into an overdriven amp, my guitars are the same volume they just sound more or less distorted, more or less saturated, more or less compressed.

10. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Of course it can be done that way.
    I usually play cleaner songs on the telecaster and more distorted ones on les paul.

Admittedly, last time I played (live stream) only one song on tele and the rest on les Paul.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With any number of available volume controls on the guitars or the amp?

I keep reading and getting more confused about what is being asked.

teletail likes this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Occam's razor

MilwMark likes this.
  13. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

There are no stupid questions, there are just stupid questioners :p

Attached Files:

MilwMark likes this.
  14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Usually the amp gain, and sometimes a little EQ tweaking. Just adjust for each guitar and know the basic changes you need for each guitar so you can quickly tweak the settings when switching guitars. I think a programmable EQ would be the ideal solution, but I haven't bought one yet.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm also in the "gig with one guitar" club.

But on the rare occasions when I bring two, if they are different guitars I'm fine with them sounding different.

beagle and teletail like this.
  16. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Well the stupid obvious answer is turning the louder guitar down, but I'm not happy with my humbuckers turned down. I might look for a spark mini or a JHS mini bomb or some other kind of transparent clean boost to engage with the quieter guitar.

17. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

One 2 single coil Tele with 4way and oop push pull. One double humbucker les paul knock off with Jimmy pageish wiring. One acoustic. I'm very happy with that. The only thing I could want is a strat to add to the mix and I'll be done. Covers all the bases.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I usually only take one guitar to a gig.
    However if I do take a HB guitar, I may plug it into input 2 on Fender amps. That balances things pretty well sometimes.

Jussi likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to use distortion on humbucker guitars and fuzz on single coils, but now I just use amp distortion with no switchable channels on the amp, and don't care to switch guitars.

Actually this is even more irrelevant because in an actual band I haven't used more than one guitar.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I use the same guitar all the way through a gig. I don't switch out or anything, because: 1) it's obnoxious waiting for a guitarist to get his act together, and 2) nobody knows/cares if you're playing "Sweet Home Alabama" through a Les Paul, a strat, or a hollowbody Gretsch. They just want to get drunk to live music, dance like old people, and wake up with a hangover.

JL_LI, joe_cpwe, Jussi and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.