How do you balance school and guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrman, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mrman

mrman TDPRI Member

I know this one guy, who was a diehard Rush fan, like me. He has several guitars, though I don't think he owns all of them, and many amps. In short, he has thousands of dollars of gear. He plays nearly every Rush song I've heard him play 100% accurately, including Freewill!

I never would have guessed that he went off to McMaster's University for math. I thought he would have continued playing guitar, and maybe join a band or become more involved in the music business. How do you remain academic and still devote so much time to guitar? I want to go to U of T or Waterloo for science, probably chemistry, and so I have to remain academic. Yet I hardly find any time at all to learn new songs, buy gear, etc except during holidays and breaks.

Maybe it's just good time management. But is anyone else like that person I described, who got into Mcmasters? How do you do it? I need to know because I want to make room for guitar!

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't have much time at all during high school, I had other instruments to stay on top of for the different school bands I was in. For about two years after high school I worked a steady day job, and played my ass off every night and on the weekends. Then I went back to school, and the guitar took a back seat again until college was over. Then I started playing my ass off again.

That's how my "balancing guitar and school" went.

3. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I think tonnes of people are doing non-music related school and are awesome guitar players.

Nothing new, time management, discipline, eating decent, staying healthy, fall in with the right crowd etc. You do have at least an hour a day to yourself to practice? 7hours a week, 28hours a month average. Thats a pretty good start already. You can taper off during papers & exam periods and come back strong when you have time.

I won't share what I do cause I am not close to all I mentioned above and would be a poor testimony.

There are actually, again tonnes, of CEOs of big companies, film directors, chefs (worst hours then bankers I feel), bankers, professional athletes, entrepreneurs, pastors and men of science who kick butt on their chosen instruments. Some started music young and have a headstart, some picked it up like any 16 year old did after hearing the Beatles, Band of Gypsys or Blink 182 on the radio.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.