1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how do you approach recording?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Apr 11, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm curious for those of you that do home recording , how you approach the process ,

there is an infinite way to get your signal down to track , and none are incorrect , wether its Di'd Mic'd, or other these ideas can and will help some one to reach out from the box to escape the mundane approaches

i'm curious for the off the wall ideas ,
    1) do you record dry and add effects in the mix ?
    2) do you record your sound all effected and blend the sound into the final tracks?
    3) do you double track your parts to fatten them up?
    4) do you look for unorthodox methodology ? and if you do what ,(examples)
    5) do you play with tape tricks (what sort?)
    6) have you filtered your guitar through a synth type filtering ?(what did you use?)
    7) do you apply this to one or more instruments , or vocals ?

I have done some absolutely crazy stuff in the studio , it take some time to set up and tweak to get it right but the end product can be worth it ,

example: Mutt Lange while recording hysteria had the rhythm guitar player record each note of the chords in the backing track as individual notes and blended the combinations as separate tracks to push the tracks to the front, labour intensive but a cool idea ,

I have recorded my backing tracks and through Melodyne , changed and edited my chords to midi tracks then used those midi tracks to trigger synth sounds in my virtual synths , blending them with the audio tracks as a follower ,

I am using a kaos pad to filter or add reverb or synth filtering to my guitar sounds for some cool tails to my notes , then spreading the effected signal through a ddl to simulate a stereo spread

Using the GR55 to create a sonic pad then the regular guitar signal ot blend into the pad , but also using the midi out to trigger the virtual synths in my system or the kurzweil K2000 .

I have to think outside the polytetrahedron , but I get when doing covers to keep things in line with the rest of the group , experimenting is so much more fun than audio mimickery.JMHO

so what cool stuff have you done ? and how did it work out for you?

any one use Brian Eno's oblique strategy cards or make your own?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

I used to rely fully on amplitube for effects but now, I add actual effects from my guitar to the interface. I find I can dial in the sound I want easier this way.

It also helps since latency forces me to monitor "dry."

But, prior to that, I like to lay down a basic drum track to follow.

Then, I add the bass, lead and keys.

I will then program better drums and finally remix and master the whole thing.

In 20 years of recording (starting from a 4 track tascam portastudio cassette), I don't think I've "finished" a single one of my tracks hahahhaa

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

last year my studio guy took my pedal board,,best thing that ever happened..1 post delay for 12 seconds on 1 guitar part on last CD. What it did was i use no effects anymore...so the plexi's don't need loops. My playing is exposed but the recording is very forward sounding. In again this year DSL for maybe 1 song that is heavy but jtm50-jtm45-jmp50. I always do bass into sansamp into board, Going total old school this go round. learned drums & got interested in capturing the room also vs just close mic.Going for big natural but not with any modern stuff digital..just capturing instruments in their basic capacity without having much altering.

24 track and Torren61 like this.
  4. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

1) Depends. Generally, I add effects like reverbs, delays, chorus etc after the fact since punching in a section on those tracks is murder to get right. Distortion/fuzz/OD I want up front.
    2) See above, easier to add effects into the mix.
    3) I've been known to add 4-6 guitars with slightly different (or wildly different) gain structures, panned to varying degrees, to get a full, fat, wall of sound.
    4) No, I'm too worried about staying on beat! I hate quantizing and so refuse to do it on my guitars.
    5) Nope.
    6) no,but that could be cool! What has worked for you?
    7) Vocals, I most certainly record dry then add effects (reverb/eq/delays).

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

I had a massive analog syth setup at one time I used the Korg MS20 (2of them ) and used the guitar to trigger the sample and hold functions using a white noise to give a random step sequence effect that followed the guitar parts perfectly
    and as I mentioned I use the Kaos pad KP3 as an inline filter that I can control with the touch pad as well as for recording sample loops (4 separate multi layered samples )

somthing to do with the vocals do 3 separate tracks of vocals, pan one hard R & hard L and one up the center , fade the side vox in for the choruses and pushes add different delay or rev to each one that is a multiple if each other EG main vox 10 MS R side 20MS L side 40 MS it will spread it out

Treadplatedual likes this.
  6. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

for electric I like to put a mic on a tube amp when I can. Lately it's been a ribbon mic. I'll record the amp's tremolo when I use trem on guitars.

I have a MicroRoom, a box with a 6 inch speaker w/ a sm57 mounted. You come outa your amp's speaker out into the MicroRoom and then output from the 57 into your DAW mic input, best direct box I've used! You get some air and you can record fairly silently. I'll run into a delay w/ stereo out, one out to the amp and MicroRoom out and one DAW mic input, the other out direct to the second DAW mic input, I get a nice stereo sound, wide spread.

yes, I'll copy and paste second track to double for a Gtr solo. effect them differently.

If we're talking electric guitar I'll go for a sound and commit. Acoustic dry. Again w/ mics. Only direct would be bass and sometimes I'll run that through a tube amp into the MicroRoom.

for drum tracks I'll put down a basic track w/ software and then take my MacBook over to a friend's backyard studio and he has his drums set all mic-ed up and we'll (he'll) do live drums and percussion.

I recently bought Oxygen 8 Advanced for mastering and it's opened a whole new world for me. I can complete my projects to "industry standards".

24 track likes this.
  7. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Without reading any other responses.
    After the song is arranged and lyrically fleshed out....here's my take:

1) do you record dry and add effects in the mix ?.....With instrumentation, YES. With vocals I might compress during recording as I'm not the greatest crooner/singer.

2) do you record your sound all effected and blend the sound into the final tracks?....I'll add FX sparingly according to what I think my original requires. I want all instruments to be heard, EQ'ed properly and vocals easy to understand....no overdone vocal FX or washed out with reverb. I record my guitar direct and my interface is the Delta 44.

3) do you double track your parts to fatten them up?....I have with vocals only on a few songs but not as a habit or by default.

4) do you look for unorthodox methodology ? and if you do what ,(examples).....No, I have my own personal 'methodology' acquired over a long time which has worked for me for decades.

5) do you play with tape tricks (what sort?).....NO....don't care about 'tricks' or about trying to impress anyone with gimmicky experimentation because I'd probably NOT do it very well anyway :)....I just want to try and craft a well written, well recorded original song.

6) have you filtered your guitar through a synth type filtering ?(what did you use?).....NO....plus, my style of writing wouldn't require it. I don't write EDM or heavy synthy material.

7) do you apply this to one or more instruments , or vocals ?.....NO...see above.

There's many ways of achieving the result one is aiming for.....to each their own.

But....that's just me.
    Good luck with your musical endeavors.

Carry on....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    24 track likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

These days I go straight into the interface, and everything (amp simulators, effects) gets added later. Also I generally record two crunch rhythm tracks, panned right and left. With clean parts, it's usually one track down the center, but I put effects on it that give it a stereo image.

I used to copy and paste the rhythm track to make a stereo image, and bump one slightly ahead to provide separation in headphones, but through one speaker like a phone has, it just sounded like it was missing the attack and almost has a slapback feel.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    24 track and awasson like this.
  9. 24 track

I have fun with it , I like to see what is not conventional , but I pull back entirely if I am in a group dynamic unless i am behind the console ,then the song dictates where the tunes move to , to do covers you need to stay to the kiss principals, but with my own creations I like to step outside the box so it does not sound like all who went before me .
    example I went to a jam at a friends house 6 guitar players all played leads in turn 5 of them used tube screamers/blues drivers and played the same scales, I had a zoom 707 and stepped out of the minor pentatonic scale structure and it moved , hard to get passed how a lot of guitarists follow the repeataive mold, and dont step out of it
    I dont conform to it all but thats just me as well , I look at it like there is convention and a time and place for it , but personally I like to push past thet for different different outcomes it adds flavour ,JMHO

but you maybe surprised , iam a purest at heart

10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Slowly.....from the side.

24 track likes this.
  11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The last time I recorded at home for an actual album, I was doubling up the guitar tracks (as it was a single guitar band). I recorded them completely dry, edited to make sure they were in time, then used GR4 to get a matching / complimentary sound to the studio tracks (which were recorded live with the band with all live fx).

For my most recent recordings I am trying to capture my live sound exactly to use as a songwriting / performance tool to see what works and what doesn't. Using a rode nt5 sounded pretty good, but good old sm57 is fine too. I think I want to try doubling up some guitar parts with synths, seeing as again there is only 1 guitar. I've done that in the past to good effect.

Crazy stuff...nothing too out there. I looped part of the bass track (which was very noisy) at the end of a song to sound like weird mechanical breathing as a bridge to the next song. I also used a distorted bass track, removed the note frequencies and the bottom end which left just noise, then mixed that into the end of another track.

* edit to add - in the future I plan to record completely live but have a splitter with a completely raw signal so I can go either way depending on what works best.

24 track likes this.
  12. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Chuckle....anything is possible. :)

I don't try to write to any 'convention'.....what's on soundclick is just how they evolved according to my ability and creative satisfaction.

From your perspective, my style/genre of writing as I stated in 2) and 5) is likely quite "conventional'.
    There's no one I try to copy or emulate...that's really how I write/arrange when a song subject grabs me and won't let go.
    Hence....I'll never be famous but I'm quite OK with that. :)

Carry on....

24 track likes this.
  13. 24 track

I used to have a tacam 80-8 8 track rtr on 1/2" tape, I recorded the band live at a gig , to nail the feel as it went down , but becuse of the live open vocal mice the vocal tracks had a ton of bleed through , after the gig back at the studio I got our lead singer to re do the vocals on to dedicated tracks, keeping the live vox for a dummy track to monitor from, it worked really well because I had all the instruments live and clean vocals on top , a little compression and a spec of room ambiance (reverb) and we were in for the live sound

Steve 78 likes this.
  14. 24 track

its true I always start with the guitar and no effects , I want to hear the instrument ( no matter what it is) before I start, the genre dictates what or how I approach it , but I am open to unorthodox procseses to get a feel , clean recording is the key after that its all imagination, and how twisted I feel that day , but i can always get back to square one if it doesnt feel right

15. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Anxiously.

Thinliner, Moriarty and 24 track like this.
  16. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Drums, bass and then guitar parts with some effects at time of recording and do some tweaking later. My work is still very crude and basic and I'm still learning. I started using GarageBand on IPad but hate the drums with it and it's too limited, so I bought a not-so-cheap Mixcraft 7. Really didn't like it and it was so damn complicated. I did some better research and recently got an Audiobox interface and it came paired with Presonus Studio One Artist. So far I've really liked it. It has Ampire among it's effects and you can choose from a number of different amps with each having numerous guitar tones. You can record with those or you can add them post-recording.

My main problem was I couldn't get a track to arm for recording. The recording light just wouldn't come on. I searched Google and YouTube for several days for an answer and tried everything, updating firmware, removing it and reinstalling. A lot of folks had problems with their anti virus which was caused by the behavior shield. When turned off, it would record. I did that , but nothing. Then I was fooling around with my Avast anti-virus and turned the shields back on and checked out a section called Privacy. Within Privacy was a section containing permitted apps and blocked apps. Within my blocked apps was Studio One and its associated Control Panel. I clicked "permit" for each of them and presto, all is good. About drove me crazy though.

24 track likes this.
  17. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Thank goodness for DAW software. Way back in the mid-80’s, I had a 4 track cassette porta studio and my buddy had the 4-track cassette rack mount unit. Then we got a Fostex 8-track tape unit. Our recording efforts did suck. At least with digital you get the results much faster.

I’m getting back into recording after a lengthy hiatus. I just replaced my M-Audio Fast Track with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and I’m using Reaper 64. I’ve also just dumped a load of cache on plugins including Modo Bass and Waves producer bundle or something.

Drum tracks are composed using the piano roll in the DAW. I don’t recall what plugin I’m using for drums but it’s reasonably realistic. Bass is often composed in Midi as well but I’ve got a Jazz Bass I can record with if necessary.

Guitars are run in direct and then I’ll use an amp and speaker box model to get whatever sound I’m looking for. I can mic my amps too but for now it’s easier recording dry and then playing with amp models during playback.

Vocals will be he tough one. I used to consider myself a decent vocalist but now I’m less convinced. I may lay down bed vocal tracks and bring someone in to do vocals. We’ll have to see. Nothing ruins a good tune like a crappy vocal track. I’m definitely having a good time with powerful computers and good DAW software though. It’s amazing how quickly you can throw a song together.

24 track and beagle like this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I tend to record myself dry but with some virtual effects on and then tweak until happy. I usually layer up copies and do manual chorus-type effects rather than trad double tracking.

24 track likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I wait until after dark, then sneak up on it. After that, it's whatever gets the job done.

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm a pretty 'meat & potatoes' guy when it comes to recording. No effects on the way in, maybe some minimal EQ and compression on the guitars. It's easier to add effects later if you need them than finding out later that maybe there are too much effects on the guitars. Vocals, same. Dry as a bone, maybe a little compression.

I've recorded stuff on my own where I've laid down a bunch of tracks and used some trickery - this one's got my lead, double-tracked pedal steel, an acoustic track or two, and the intro uses an eBow on three tracks of acoustic guitar.

When writing for my band, I really try to stay away from lots of guitar tracks, because we're a three-piece and I don't want to write anything that would be too difficult to reproduce live.

- D

Jim622, kafka, 24 track and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.