1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how do you all like your teles to play?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Whiskey_Joe, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Whiskey_Joe

Whiskey_Joe Tele-Meister

My black tele makes some people cringe, the action is high, the strings are heavy (at least Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's), and that is how i prefer this one. This guitar fights back, and that is it's distinct personality.

The brown electra tele is the total antithesis of the black one. The zero fret means low action, and even with 11's on it it plays very easily. Once again, i can't imagine this one playing differently. If this one were "stiff" playing i don't thnk it would be fun to play.

The blonde tele is right in between. It is not as stiff as the black tele, and not as "buttery" playing (for lack of a better description) as the electra.

I guess what i am getting at is that i have found that having my guitars all play the same or even similar is boring to me. any thoughts on your own teles?

2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I tend to like a little higher action(not drastic), and 10's. I do pretty much the same on my other axes as well(LP's, Strats, PRS's...). It's just comfort, and sound for me. If I change guitars during a set, I'd like to be able to feel something similar, and not have to adjust my playing to the set-up of the guitar.

3. bobkirkp

bobkirkp TDPRI Member

I play 10's on my tele and Hagstrom, and run the action a little higher than my Gibson. I find that the higher action gives my tele a fuller sound and a little more sustain on the neck pickup, and some more grit on the bridge. I tried lowering the action on my first restring and was not pleased at all.
    It sounded dull and lifeless so I raised the action up. I then put 12's on my acoustic and used that as my practice guitar for a few weeks and now have no problems.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use 010-046 D'Addarios & I prefer my action nice & low...w/ a dead straight neck.

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

10-46, action not too low. I play acoustic 6 and 12 strings quite often, as well as the plank-sized neck of my Mod 7, so I don't want to have to adjust to a really light touch. I remember the first Les Paul I played. It had super low action, no string tension to speak of. Every note I touched bent all over the place, but the owner could play it telepathically. That's when I realized that a guitar could be too easy-playing, at least for me.

6. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

I use 10-52 on all my guitars but they have different setups.. My Squier has awesome low action and a smaller neck so it's really easy to play and do whatever I want with..
    My Vester Esquire has higher but perfectly even action, I left the nut a bit high so I can use it for slide or regular playing without any hassle. Tune to open G for slide ATM..
    My MIJ Esquire is in the middle, medium action and the vintage-y neck give it some character and make it a bit more fun to play and make me work a bit harder.

7. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

The actions on my Teles as pretty similar. Low but not too low. My practice Tele which is the Squier has higher action than the others.

Two are fitted with 11-50 Flats, Two are fitted with 11-49 Rounds and the Tele with Bigsby has 10-46 Rounds.

All have different pickup types so they all sound different. Different neck types so it different feel on each neck even if the action are similar.

8. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

In my plethora of teles...everyone plays different.....I like that...if they all played the same then what would be the point of owning more than one?

9. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I like d'addario .011's with low action. I like to feel the guitar resisting but not quite fighting and I like a big neck. It keeps my hands from going numb after an hour like it will with lighter strings or little necks.

10. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Low action, ( 1/16" at the 12, & 17th frets ) - neck almost straight - and 10-52 strings, usually D'addario.

Occassional forays into 10-46, but this Baja seems to thrive on the firm feel of heavier bass strings. It took really well to 11 - 49s too, but I like some elasticity in the top three strings.

11. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

10's on my Aerodyne, 11's on my Xaviere LP. Both with moderately low action.

12. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I set up my Tele with 9's and get the action semi-low but if there is excess buzz I restring with 10's. Usually takes care of the buzz from the 9's set up and the action is still to my liking. As much as I like the easy playing 9's, for me it always seems to sacrifice a little tone and create too much buzz for my playing style.

I prefer very little relief and a low nut too. Also if there is only a string tree on the E and B string, extra wraps around the G (and maybe D) string at the tuner to improve the break angle over the nut seems to help.

13. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I keep my Teles w/ what some would consider med high action @ the 12th...but I'm a stickler for a properly cut nut, and low action @ the 1st fret .011 .048 work best for me, cause I play a lot of Acoustics w/ .013 .056...and that way it's not such a drastic change...I prefer a Guitar to "Fight Back" a little, and is why I prefer the Older style Fenders....but being a Repair & Set-up guy by trade, I have to say, that I am definitely in the minority....most of my customers want it low & slinky ?....YMMV

14. McFly

McFly Tele-Meister

slinky

I play 10-46 Ernie Ball strings. Ideally I like the action to be medium high because I think you can lose a lot of dynamics when playing clean if the action is too low.

That being said, I do like to have a loose feel to the strings. I think this is a factor of a well cut and lubricated nut, shallow break angles on the nut and saddles, and 'just right' neck relief.

It's all about 'looseness' of the strings for me, not so much string height.

15. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

.010's, low as I can get on action. The ol' fingers just aren't as strong as they used to be. :( Haven't gone to .009's yet, but that day may come.....

Thinking of action, I "cheat" on one of my acuostics. I have it tuned down a whole step and capo the second fret. Relieves a lot of the tension and I can still use .011's. I really think heavier strings actually sound better (more volume, better tone) than on an electric. There are, of course, varying opinions on this, but that's my $.02's - $.01. Yes, I know I could (and should) file down the bridge, but it's not on the project table just yet. :)

16. Flannel Pat

Flannel Pat Tele-Holic

11's with somewhat high action. I like to work for those notes.

17. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

10-46 D'Addarios, action is medium. Just high enought to avoid excessive buzzing and to let the notes ring out clearly.

18. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

I like having my teles set up differently from each other, they seem to direct my playing that way as a tele will do anyway. What I would rather have, is for my teles to play they way they do when other people play them!

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hear, hear.

I kinda let the guitar decide if it wants to adopt me. I find I cannot 'impose' a setup on the guitar that wasn't meant to be that way. I'm trying my best to observe everything going on about the guitar and match things that may work on that guitar but not the next one.

I will say that the difference between some of my guitars would not be enough to impress anybody but me, but that's ok; distinguishing 2 very similar guitars I think is great practice in its own way.

And most of all, you bet your life a guitar can be too easy-playing. I feel like such an idiot trying 9s sometimes; everything that comes out is so exaggerated and goofy or phony sounding, it takes patience to back off on the throttle.

20. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Mine are all about factory medium with the truss set just a bit tighter to
    get less relief on the higher frets.
    I keep meaning to try and get one set to be as even (or close) string
    height wise up the neck as the first 3 frets ones are without audible
    ping thru an amp on the high frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.