1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How do small damages to body affect the guitar ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ReallyClueless, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReallyClueless

ReallyClueless TDPRI Member

While looking at used Mexican Strats i found one with some small damges to the body(pics below). How does something like this affect the guitar in terms of sound? Is there a noticeable difference ? And lastly how does it affect value ?

$_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG

2. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It doesn't affect sound - only value. Use it to get a better deal on the guitar.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

And then when you sell it, use it to get a better deal on the guitar. Read: call it "relived".

Chunkocaster and hemingway like this.
  4. ReallyClueless

ReallyClueless TDPRI Member

Thats great, thanks. What kind of damages would be needed to actually affect sound ?

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If the pickups didn't work

6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it adds mojo.

2 Headed Goat and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They usually charge more for damage like that. That is medium relicing.
    Usually carried out by select craftsmen at the fender factory with a hammer and screwdriver, assortment of blunt instruments of destruction.

8. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Unless the damage causes the neck to not connect correctly or effects the electronics you won't hear a difference.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Look up pictures of Rory Gallager's Strat, Mike Bloomfield Tele, Eddie Van Halen Frankenstrat.

Search 'relic guitar'.

only functional items: nut, saddles, frets, pickups, pots, jack can stop you from making music.

You can have guitars made of wood, plywood, steel, cement, cardboard, carbon fiber, plastic, fiberglass. It doesn't matter (but corporate marketing advertisements will tell you otherwise).

Key is find a good guitar tech near you who can level frets and do a complete setup. Then you can buy any guitar for any reasonable price and have a player.

I have some $50 beat-up guitars that after fretwork and setup play better than factory new $1,000 guitars. Find that guy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

First, that's a Tele, not a Strat. That'll make a bigger difference to the sound than a couple of paint chips.

The kinds of damage that would affect the sound would be anything that has negatively impacted the structural integrity of the guitar. Everything else is just cosmetic.

11. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I imagine if cosmetic body damage made the guitar sound worse these relic'ed ones wouldn't be selling for so much...

12. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Stop teasing the boy, fellas. We were all there once.

Dents and scratches in the finish of a guitar won't affect the sound. If it did, I'd be in big trouble with my Strat:

[​IMG]

13. JJUSA

JJUSA TDPRI Member

Damage is to be expected if you play your guitar , that just means it was played! Maybe better than one that was played once or twice then put away. Thats aged ! You wont have to be so careful

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

EVH says when he cut the wedge out of his Ibanez explorer copy, it killed the tone. The eyelet torsion binder things were an attempt to correct that.

Sure looks cool, still
    [​IMG]

tintag27 likes this.
  15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I find wearing a corset improves my sound .

Mike SS and nojazzhere like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Ever wear a garter belt under your pants....like Tim Robbins in Bull Durham?

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Those are legitimately earned "Mojo Marks". A used guitar that doesn't look used obviously wasn't worth playing.

I've had a couple guitars where they likely didn't dry the wood properly & they cracked. The Jagstang was cracked through the neck pocket and still was functional. I would consider that to be body damage I'd steer clear of.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Now that you know there's no change in sound, the only real consideration if you're OK with a dinged up guitar is what's the value. Look around on ebay or reverb for guitars that sold with similar damage and you'll get an idea of what kind of concession you should expect. Dings like that do make it much harder to sell a guitar unless you give a fairly substantially price concession (which means you should get one).

I kind of like a guitar that's not perfect. How are you going to feel if you bump into the arm of a chair with that one if you're moving around your practice room? Compare that to the same bump carrying a perfect guitar. i'd rather spend most of my time playing the dented ones and be able to relax.

19. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Strat?

Though thats LP dude.

Or 9 string Schecter

20. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

IMO that damage should knock down the price for a Mexican guitar. Most people do not find that kind of body damage desirable. I would take $100 off whatever it's true resale value should be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.