How do people live here?

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Interesting thing about Tucson at least was there was always a breeze blowing.

The couple of recent hot summers I stayed there I'd walk Daisy Dog down to the little park and share a popsicle under the shade of a large tree. It was maybe 110° but perfectly comfortable in the shade.

Everywhere has a complaint and I always thought 105° was not a bad one IF you didn't have to be outside.

The south east USA is he!! compared during summer!

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
I am in Las Vegas for InfoComm this week. Quite honestly, I do not particularly care for Vegas to begin with due to the over-the-top opulence and faux luxury, preferring to attend the show when it is held in Orlando. The daily high temperatures here are ranging from 105F-111F this week. The lows are higher than our July-August highs on the Oregon coast and I am dying from the heat. The commute between my hotel & the convention ctr. pretty much ruins me for the day. I honestly do not know how people live here. I will admit that I have had some pretty darn okay meals that didn't live up to the price I paid. Sheesh.
End rant.
I'm not a Vegas fan.
When it's hot, it's just hot. I've been there when the temp hasn't dropped below 100, even at night.
When it's 117, walking from your hotel to the Convention Center (from air con to heat to refrigeration) just whacks you upside the head.
The individual restaurants are either grossly overpriced or, if prices are reasonable, the food is execrable.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
It's still not as bad as Houston or New Orleans.
I walked out of a hotel in Mobile, AL and felt as if I'd walked into a wet, hot blanket. Simply breathing took an adjustment. I walked down to a pier and found a tiny black man with a fishing line around his big toe asleep against a piling. About 20 feet from him was the head of what must have been a 45 lb catfish, flies buzzing around the last of the rotting meat. I remember thinking that if something the size of that catfish latched onto whatever was on the end of that fishing line, one of two things had to happen, neither of them good.

Houston has been destroyed by developers who've put cement and buildings over what used to absorb the annual hurricane rain dumps. People are going to find themselves living on the second story of their homes every five years. Absolutely stupid, and it's become a miserable location.

Nawlins, same. Efforts to stem the annual Mississippi floods (that built up what New Orleans is atop with silt deposits) have ensured that it will, in time, be gone forever. It was one of my favorite places to be young and high and a musician once. No more.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I walked out of a hotel in Mobile, AL and felt as if I'd walked into a wet, hot blanket. Simply breathing took an adjustment. I walked down to a pier and found a tiny black man with a fishing line around his big toe asleep against a piling. About 20 feet from him was the head of what must have been a 45 lb catfish, flies buzzing around the last of the rotting meat. I remember thinking that if something the size of that catfish latched onto whatever was on the end of that fishing line, one of two things had to happen, neither of them good.

Houston has been destroyed by developers who've put cement and buildings over what used to absorb the annual hurricane rain dumps. People are going to find themselves living on the second story of their homes every five years. Absolutely stupid, and it's become a miserable location.

Nawlins, same. Efforts to stem the annual Mississippi floods (that built up what New Orleans is atop with silt deposits) have ensured that it will, in time, be gone forever. It was one of my favorite places to be young and high and a musician once. No more.
I sweated while in the shower in Puerto Rico!