How do people live here?

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I am in Las Vegas for InfoComm this week. Quite honestly, I do not particularly care for Vegas to begin with due to the over-the-top opulence and faux luxury, preferring to attend the show when it is held in Orlando. The daily high temperatures here are ranging from 105F-111F this week. The lows are higher than our July-August highs on the Oregon coast and I am dying from the heat. The commute between my hotel & the convention ctr. pretty much ruins me for the day. I honestly do not know how people live here. I will admit that I have had some pretty darn okay meals that didn't live up to the price I paid. Sheesh.
End rant.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Years ago, I spent a month in Phoenix during the month of May. Temps averaged 105 degrees every day. The air was so dry it hurt to breathe. The rental I was staying in never cooled down enough to be comfortable, and I couldn't sleep at night. Car got so hot sitting in the sun I had to quickly get in long enough to open all the windows, and crank the AC for a few minutes before driving anywhere. Even though I loved the desert terrain, I'll take frigid winters over that any day.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah but it's a dry heat (until it's not)

I've got many friends and family in AZ (Tucson, Bisbee, Phoenix, mainly), work's sent me there... lovely people, couldn't do the climate and I grew up in Dallas. A colleague from Tempe used to delight in telling us he never had to shovel sunshine, but he left out all the other stuff I know about the day-to-day there, and would occasionally slip up about how oppressive it can obviously be.

What I genuinely love is that people think northern New Mexico is a Phoenix-esque desert. Totally true. Stay where you are.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
But it's a dry heat....
My brother, who used to do hot tar roofing in Phoenix, always responds: "Set your oven to 150 degrees and stick your head in. Tell yourself "It's a dry heat"." lol (how's that for nested quotes hehe.) The pot of tar was at 350 and the ambient heat on the roofs normally approached 140. Too hot for me.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I am in Las Vegas for InfoComm this week. Quite honestly, I do not particularly care for Vegas to begin with due to the over-the-top opulence and faux luxury, preferring to attend the show when it is held in Orlando. The daily high temperatures here are ranging from 105F-111F this week. The lows are higher than our July-August highs on the Oregon coast and I am dying from the heat. The commute between my hotel & the convention ctr. pretty much ruins me for the day. I honestly do not know how people live here. I will admit that I have had some pretty darn okay meals that didn't live up to the price I paid. Sheesh.
End rant.

The heat is the least of the problems with vegas.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
It's glorious. Beautiful. You do have to spend some time getting used to it. That includes your respiratory system. There's an actual physical adaption that takes place over 2 to 4 weeks.

If you just drop in for a week from another climate and it's summertime in Las Vegas, or Phoenix, etc., it's going to be a shock. It will be a lot easier if you start hydrating a week or more before. Try to be drinking close to a gallon a day of water for a week before you get there.Your body will thank you.

Once you adapt and alter your lifestyle for the local climate, it's a wonderful environment.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Last time I was there I did get to hang out with Penn & Teller, awesome guys, Penn Gillette is a really good bass player.
I also got to sit front row for Circ Soliel "Zumaniti" show about human sexuality. The women in that show are so darn sexy, that was fun.
I once had an acquaintance that was Penn's body man. That means when Penn would disappear offstage, he would change his suit jacket into another identical jacket. My guy was responsible for ensuring that the jacket pockets we loaded with the correct props for the show.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I've been in the southwest deserts a few times but never Vegas. A friend took a family vacation there and walked out onto the strip in the afternoon. The kids remarked 'I think something is wrong with the earth' when they felt the heat

Silent Otto

Tele-Holic
two words: A/C
unfortunately, a double-down solution that ultimately worsens the problem.

ac.jpg

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I spent a few days in Phoenix before going to Sedona in the last week of September. It was brutal. It's not as if I'm unused to heat either living in MD.