How do I wire HSH w/ Cloth Wired HBs & a superswitch?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DrASATele, Oct 13, 2019.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

25CD1C1D-6532-46B2-8203-5BAFBC7D0D42.jpeg I didn’t order the wiring harness or pickups. The problem being I can’t find a wiring diagram that has vintage cloth wired humbuckers on a 5 way Superswitch. I know the wiring is wrong can you help me fix it?
    EC6B8091-5FA1-4AA5-BE8A-728A8646A713.jpeg

2. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

I'm no expert but I think the cloth ones are grounds and connections.The braided metal shield ones probably go to the pickups and unless there are at least 4 wires and you can't split them. Check out stewmac or seymour duncan for diagrams.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info.

I know I needed 4 wire but the person purchasing them didn't ask. Now I just need to use the harness I have and the pickups as is.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The shielded wires are the 2 humbucker pup wires - each containing a hot and the shield is the ground . The black and white cloth covered wires are the single coil pup hot & ground wires.
    Without the 4 (or 5) wire humbuckers you may not need that superswitch. A regular switch should work fine. Parallel/ series, out of phase humbucker switching would not be possible without the 4 wires (containing the wires for each coil of the humbuckers) in my understanding. Someone else may school all of us differently.

If you google 'HSH 5 way switch' you will find a lot of diagrams in short order. You will have to be careful to select diagrams with 2 wires for the humbuckers though.

5. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

You MUST tell us what combos you want. If it's just the standard Strat three, it's pretty simple:

Superswitch HSH v-t.jpg

But I think I see a cap on the 5-way??? What's that about?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.