How do I use my Strymon Deco for tracking?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Badger06, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I'm wanting to use my Strymon Deco pedal to add tape saturation when tracking guitar, vocals, percussion etc. The audio interface I'm using is a Roland Octacapture and the DAW is Logic Pro.

I should state that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to recording. At first I was thinking it would be as simple as setting the Deco to studio mode and placing in the signal path between the mic and the input of the Octacapture - basically in the same way as is done when using the pedal between a guitar and amp. I tried this, it didn't work.

I read somewhere online that you could use the Deco as an outboard effect in the send/return of an audio interface. As far as I can figure out the Octacapture doesn't have a send/return? I tried the external out from the Octacapture into the input of the Deco, and then back into channel 3 of the Octacapture. This worked at low volume but I quickly ran into feedback when I used the auto-sens to set the level of the input. I'm guessing there must be a way to assign the inputs on the octacapture as a return?

Any advice would be awesome. I realise this is probably face-palm material for most people here - but if you don't ask, you don't learn!

Cheers!

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

You're mixing up the impedences and signal levels that each is expecting. The Strymon is expecting a hi-z guitar signal, but your mic is providing a low-z signal. Additionally, only the first 2 inputs on the Octacapture are designed to accept a hi-z guitar signal. Without knowing more about the mic you're using and the rest of your setup, the easiest way to make this work would be to bring your mic directly into the Octacapture on input 3, send that signal out one of the line level outputs on the back of the Octacaputre, bring that INTO the Strymon, and then bring that signal from the Strymon back into either/both input 1/2 on the front.

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  3. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice Chud. Seems like I was more or less on the right track. I didn't realise the Octacapture's inputs were configured in that way. I'm borrowing the AI and mics from a friend and I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs (haha) of it as I would normally be with my own gear. I tried two mics, a Sure SM57 and a Rode NT1 condenser.

So if understand correctly, the signal path should be SM57 -> Octacaputre Input 3; Octacaputre Output 1 -> Deco Input (set to studio mode); Deco Output -> Octacaputre Input 1. Is this correct? Guessing you'd end up with two tracks in the DAW, one for input 3 with the direct signal from the mic, and one for input 1 which would have the effected signal from the Deco?

This has me wondering - does the line out signal from the Octacapture get converted by the Deco into hi-z guitar signal?

Thanks again for your help, I'll give this a go next time!

4. Chud

That routing should be correct. I’m not 100% sure what the Strymon is doing in studio mode, but I think the biggest hang up was probably running back into ch3 on the Octacapture. You should be able to switch between mic and line settings on the other inputs though, so with that selected it might not matter all that much which input you go back to with the Strymon in studio mode.

5. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Have I stumbled onto the wrong forum? Where is the guy telling you that you should not want to do the thing that you want to do?

popthree and Badger06 like this.
  6. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

The Eventide Mixing Link is a device that allows you to use guitar effects with vocals using your mic. It does its job very well.

Badger06 likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got this response from Strymon:

When the Deco is set to studio mode, you will have more headroom available to you on the tape saturation, which is great when being used as an insert in a mixer or DAW.'

It still will only have +8dBu maximum input signal however, so anything above this will mess with your wet/dry signal. It won't fry the pedal, but it won't function the way you would want.

Badger06 likes this.
  8. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

you want to color the original input track with this effect? i would think you'd get better basic tracks recorded if you'd apply stuff like this after you have some clean tracks laid down (especially for the vocals).

you'd basically want to create a bus and route whatever signal through that, to an out on your interface, through your outboard effect, then return that signal to your DAW via bus.

i don't want to dissuade you from what you have in mind, but i'd question how great the end result will be honestly. that pedal does sound nice in front of a guitar amp... but you can do a lot with plugins in your DAW. i'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to create all that routing so you can run one or more of your tracks through the strymon.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. Chud

There he is...:lol::lol::lol:

Badger06 and matrix like this.
  10. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice. I read that the Deco has the capacity to be used in the studio to add tape saturation, double tracking, short delay etc. As I like the way it sounds with my guitar I thought I’d give it a try with other tracks too. That’s my thinking here. Sure, I could probably use plugins, but I’d rather experiment with the Deco to make the most of my investment in the pedal and use this additional functionality.

Seems like I need to read into how to set up a bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. popthree

Yep, if you are set on using it, bussing clean tracks through it would probably yield the most favorable, and flexible, results

I was checking out the pedal on YouTube...killer sounding effect in front of an amp for sure

Badger06 likes this.
  12. popthree

Badger06 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.