How do I tell what neck profile my strat has?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Does the Clapton also taper to a C?
I have had both. The Warmoth is a much more apparent transition to a chunky C. Maybe a bit more of a V to a chunkier C is a good description. It does not feel like the Fender Clapton much to me. The EC does become mostly a C up high though.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I just ordered one on Amazon earlier today for $10. But like you say, I'm not sure it'll completely help.

When people take measurements of their neck profile, are they measuring the thickest point at that cross section? Like the center point, between where the G and D strings would be?
Yes, Usually at fret 1 and fret 12 IME

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I assume I should measure up to the fingerboard wood, not including the actual fret height, right?
yes. You dont necessarily have to take the strings off. Use something of known thickness on top of the board, like a drill bit. Measure from the bit to the back of the neck, then subtract the bit diameter.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The Warmoth "boat neck" is a 1" neck that starts with a pretty pronounced vee and rounds out, but stays 1 inch the whole way. Just a hunch but I'm betting the Allparts SMO-V is closer to the neck in question. I'd define it as a tamer version of the Warmoth boat. But unlike the Warmoth you're limited to a 7.25 radius, 1 5/8 nut width and vintage sized frets with the Allparts.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
The Warmoth "boat neck" is a 1" neck that starts with a pretty pronounced vee and rounds out, but stays 1 inch the whole way. Just a hunch but I'm betting the Allparts SMO-V is closer to the neck in question. I'd define it as a tamer version of the Warmoth boat. But unlike the Warmoth you're limited to a 7.25 radius, 1 5/8 nut width and vintage sized frets with the Allparts.
Although, do Allparts necks come finished with frets leveled, polished, nut installed, etc? I'd much prefer one that's fully complete.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Musikraft has a much larger selection of neck profiles than Warmoth. But I think their build times are pretty crazy. I would start with buying a cheap digital caliper and measuring your existing neck.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Although, do Allparts necks come finished with frets leveled, polished, nut installed, etc? I'd much prefer one that's fully complete.
No, the Allparts neck requires a nut installation, neck holes drilled and most likely a fret leveling/crowning. I do believe they have a version that's finished in lacquer. And it merits saying, but even Warmoth/Musikraft etc. will likely require some attention to frets and certainly a properly slotted nut.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
Musikraft has a much larger selection of neck profiles than Warmoth. But I think their build times are pretty crazy. I would start with buying a cheap digital caliper and measuring your existing neck.
I measured my neck with my brand new digital caliper (I should honestly have gotten one years ago, it's so awesome and cheap). At the 1st fret, the thickness is around 0.9", and at the 12th fret it's about 0.94".

When looking at the Musikraft neck profiles here, am I to understand that if it says, for example, "V 83 87" that means it's a V profile, and it's 0.83" at the 1st fret and 0.87" at the 12th fret? If so, then I'm afraid there isn't a profile exactly like mine, though maybe the "V-C 88 95" comes somewhat close.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I would assume the 2nd number represents the width at the 12th fret. If you're comfortable with your measurements (wood to wood, not string to wood, right?😄) you could email Musikraft and ask if they do custom profiling. I have one of their necks that I bought back when they had in stock items. Light flame, lightly roasted maple, nut installed. Being roasted maple it didn't require a finish but I clear coated it with lacquer. It required very little work once installed.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I would assume the 2nd number represents the width at the 12th fret. If you're comfortable with your measurements (wood to wood, not string to wood, right?😄) you could email Musikraft and ask if they do custom profiling. I have one of their necks that I bought back when they had in stock items. Light flame, lightly roasted maple, nut installed. Being roasted maple it didn't require a finish but I clear coated it with lacquer. It required very little work once installed.
Yep, wood to wood. Or rather, I did the thing @schmee said above, where I zeroed my caliper using an object (i tried both a drill bit and a screw), and used it to gauge the thickness at the wood, without having to take the strings off.

Part of me also wonders, if I really like this soft v neck MIJ strat, maybe I would love even more some other variation on it, like V-C 88 95, or even something more different from mine. Like, maybe I could get something even more true to what the earliest strat neck shapes were in 1954, if I could figure out what those numbers are. This is a value judgement I have to make for what I want out of this purchase; do I want the same exact thing (if I can even get it), or do I want something slightly different that I may like even more.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have not had a new neck from Allparts, USACG, Musikraft or Warmoth that required leveling. They all may require the fret ends cleaned up a bit, but often are pretty good there and playable.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yep, wood to wood. Or rather, I did the thing @schmee said above, where I zeroed my caliper using an object (i tried both a drill bit and a screw), and used it to gauge the thickness at the wood, without having to take the strings off.

Part of me also wonders, if I really like this soft v neck MIJ strat, maybe I would love even more some other variation on it, like V-C 88 95, or even something more different from mine. Like, maybe I could get something even more true to what the earliest strat neck shapes were in 1954, if I could figure out what those numbers are. This is a value judgement I have to make for what I want out of this purchase; do I want the same exact thing (if I can even get it), or do I want something slightly different that I may like even more.
I'll tell you, I love the Fender Clapton soft V, but once I got a Warmoth '59 roundback... man those necks are just super comfortable.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I'll tell you, I love the Fender Clapton soft V, but once I got a Warmoth '59 roundback... man those necks are just super comfortable.
I do want to keep my neck vintage, probably early 50s, strat specs, though. The '59 roundback is more of a Les Paul spec, right?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I do want to keep my neck vintage, probably early 50s, strat specs, though. The '59 roundback is more of a Les Paul spec, right?
Back shape wise, yes. Not sure if it comes in 7.25 radius or not, but does come in heel truss adjustment.