How do I tell what neck profile my strat has?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
How is it that people figure out what neck profile they have? I can't actually slice the neck open to look at the profile.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't worry too much, I have no idea on most of my guitars, and even if told still cannot tell!

Last edited:

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
Look up the serial number on Fenders site and it will have the specs listed. What model is it?
It's a MIJ ST54, I think. I don't know if the Japanese strats were really consistent, though. Online, at least one site says the ST54 should be a "soft v", but I'm not convinced, I never really thought it was v shape.

Edit: I changed my mind later, I do think that it is a V of some sort.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
If it doesn’t have a v or boat shape to the back , is it more “c” shaped or oval? They have some kind of caliper, that you can measure the thickness. I’ve never used one. I’m sure you could go on stew Mac and find a pair , if that would help you in remaking it

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
It's a MIJ ST54, I think. I don't know if the Japanese strats were really consistent, though. Online, at least one site says the ST54 should be a "soft v", but I'm not convinced, I never really thought it was v shape.
You could always take some solder and shape it to your neck at the 1st and 12th frets and then trace or copy the solder so you could have something easy to measure if you don't have calibers or feel like removing strings, etc...

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
You know, I change my mind. I really looked at my neck, and now, I actually do think that there's a bit of a V, at least for the first 5 or so frets. I think that by the 12th fret it becomes more like a C.

Does Warmoth make a neck that starts as a V but tapers to a C?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
Got 'em at Harbor Freight for $10 on up. But neither will sketch out your neck profile.
Yeah, I just ordered one on Amazon earlier today for $10. But like you say, I'm not sure it'll completely help.

When people take measurements of their neck profile, are they measuring the thickest point at that cross section? Like the center point, between where the G and D strings would be?

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I just ordered one on Amazon earlier today for $10. But like you say, I'm not sure it'll completely help.

When people take measurements of their neck profile, are they measuring the thickest point at that cross section? Like the center point, between where the G and D strings would be?
That’s how I understand it,and you’ll still have to shape the back to your liking. It’s just taking a measurement of the thickest points . You still have to know if it’s a c shape, shape,u or soft v, whatever it may be .

warrent

Friend of Leo's
use a contour gauge at various points on the neck. You can make a template and have someone make or shape the neck.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Actually different mfg use diff shape codes too. I never really understood.
There are billions of charts.
Cshapeapture.JPG

Suproman

Tele-Holic
You know, I change my mind. I really looked at my neck, and now, I actually do think that there's a bit of a V, at least for the first 5 or so frets. I think that by the 12th fret it becomes more like a C.

Does Warmoth make a neck that starts as a V but tapers to a C?
The boatneck from Warmoth starts as a soft V and tapers to a C. The V shape is most apparent on the first 5-7 frets. It is thick, so you might want to check the measurements with your current neck.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
The boatneck from Warmoth starts as a soft V and tapers to a C. The V shape is most apparent on the first 5-7 frets. It is thick, so you might want to check the measurements with your current neck.
Does the Clapton also taper to a C?

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I can't actually slice the neck open to look at the profile.
I know that was a joke but it is possible to measure it directly. If the serial number doesn't yield profile info, you can actually use one of these:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Is it a Fender neck?
You can profile it with a piece of copper wire, then do some research.
Often just knowing the thickness, frets and radius can help ID it though. Or what it came off of.

Last edited: