How do I remove knobs from '72 Deluxe Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telefan33, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

I need to remove the plastic on the pickguard from this guitar. I kept it on for years because I was thinking of selling but I have decided to keep it. The only problem is the plastic is starting to fall off so I need to remove. I see that there are screws on the amp knobs on this guitar? Do the screws loosen then just slide off? It doesn't appear to be the same as a standard Stratocaster knob. Anyone know for sure how to remove them?

2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I've never taken the knobs off of mine, but it should just be a matter of loosening the screws and then pulling the knobs off.

3. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Loosen the set screws, and voila! They come right off. FWIW, I bought a 2007 MIM Strat at a pawn shop last year, and it still had the plastic on the pickguard, (12 years later). I found it had become part of the pickguard, in other words, the plastic came of with a little more work than it should, and the glue remained a permanent part of the pickguard.

The only thing that finally removed the glue from the pickguard, (goof-off), and of course, this left it ruined, and I had to replace the pickguard. I realized that leaving it on for too long is not a good thing...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Boreas likes this.
  4. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

I was able to remove all but the one closest to the bridge. The plastic seems to be removed so I'm all good.

5. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

I have heard about the film leaving a cloud like appearance. I didn't have that problem and it was on for years. Again I was thinking of reselling because it was a guitar I got on sale. Fell in love with it so I'm keeping it.

Off topic but I was retubing my amp today (Mig 50) and I tried switching out the tubes without removing the chassis from the cabinet and I accidently stripped the tube socket. Oops. Never had to remove a chassis to just change preamp tubes but like these knobs sometimes you run into situations you aren't familiar with. Lesson learned.

6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This happened to me as well. But I realized later it wasn't the protective film, but rather the actual top glossy layer of the plastic pickguard. Same deal, hard to get off and left residue behind. It was a new pickguard on a Tele I bought. After removing the glue, I had a nice satin pickguard which actually looks kinda cool, but gets dirty from my fingers and has to be cleaned occasionally. Just a bad pickguard in my case. Live and learn...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.